General Etiquette > Family and Children

Leggings as Pants - In School

<< < (23/23)

Drawberry:

--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on November 20, 2012, 09:06:44 AM ---
--- Quote from: HermioneGranger on November 20, 2012, 08:50:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: Sharnita on November 20, 2012, 08:22:06 AM ---Wearing them as instead of tights with a dress - OK.

Wearing them with a shirt instead of pants - not OK.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  School is supposed to prepare you for the real world.  Well, in the real world, you can't always dress as you please.

--- End quote ---

POD to this.

My kid's HS has a policy stating that leggings can not be worn unless with a top that hits at least mid-thigh. 

I don't see the policy as sexist at all.  The boys at their HS also have specific dress codes they have to adhere to.

What I used to really hope for was a policy of "no-cleavage" at school and in the office.  I really miss the days when cleavage was not seen until after 5 unless you were at the beach or by a pool.  But I'm in such the minority on this topic I know there is no hope.

--- End quote ---

I take some personal offense to this.
I am naturally very busty, every woman in my family is. My sister is so large she's had strangers gawk at her, accuse her of getting implants or heckle her to get breast reduction surgery. At the ripe old age of 12 I was already heading to a C-cup bra and felt both the stigma of developing early and the envy from female friends. We are all simply built to be large breasted.

As such hardly any clothing on the market is made to suit my body. Tee shirts with cute images printed on them have always stretched out and deformed across my chest. Tank-tops make it look like I have two basket balls eating spaghetti noodles stuck to my chest. Shirts end up much shorter because they rise up.Shirts with necklines that would normally be considered traditionally 'modest' end up exposing a fair amount of my cleavage. I am talking about simple, basic, regular-necked shirts sold at every department store around the world. Nothing special. Nothing 'high fashion'. Just regular ol' shirts. But they always look considerably more revealing on my body then on the models body or on a woman who is less 'endowed' then myself.

I cannot help what my breasts do. They are there, they're not going away without long hours of surgery. I cannot simply tuck them under my arms and hide them. To prevent any sliver of cleavage showing I would have to wear Boyfriends tee shirts or turtleneck sweaters.

Some of us are not trying to shove our womanly assets in your face, we simply cannot help our bodies.

And I agree, implementing a new specific dresscode on the girls based on the reaction of hormone fulled boys is wrong.

MamaMootz:

--- Quote from: Drawberry on November 30, 2012, 07:34:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on November 20, 2012, 09:06:44 AM ---
--- Quote from: HermioneGranger on November 20, 2012, 08:50:13 AM ---
--- Quote from: Sharnita on November 20, 2012, 08:22:06 AM ---Wearing them as instead of tights with a dress - OK.

Wearing them with a shirt instead of pants - not OK.

--- End quote ---

I agree.  School is supposed to prepare you for the real world.  Well, in the real world, you can't always dress as you please.

--- End quote ---

POD to this.

My kid's HS has a policy stating that leggings can not be worn unless with a top that hits at least mid-thigh. 

I don't see the policy as sexist at all.  The boys at their HS also have specific dress codes they have to adhere to.

What I used to really hope for was a policy of "no-cleavage" at school and in the office.  I really miss the days when cleavage was not seen until after 5 unless you were at the beach or by a pool.  But I'm in such the minority on this topic I know there is no hope.

--- End quote ---

I take some personal offense to this.
I am naturally very busty, every woman in my family is. My sister is so large she's had strangers gawk at her, accuse her of getting implants or heckle her to get breast reduction surgery. At the ripe old age of 12 I was already heading to a C-cup bra and felt both the stigma of developing early and the envy from female friends. We are all simply built to be large breasted.

As such hardly any clothing on the market is made to suit my body. Tee shirts with cute images printed on them have always stretched out and deformed across my chest. Tank-tops make it look like I have two basket balls eating spaghetti noodles stuck to my chest. Shirts end up much shorter because they rise up.Shirts with necklines that would normally be considered traditionally 'modest' end up exposing a fair amount of my cleavage. I am talking about simple, basic, regular-necked shirts sold at every department store around the world. Nothing special. Nothing 'high fashion'. Just regular ol' shirts. But they always look considerably more revealing on my body then on the models body or on a woman who is less 'endowed' then myself.

I cannot help what my breasts do. They are there, they're not going away without long hours of surgery. I cannot simply tuck them under my arms and hide them. To prevent any sliver of cleavage showing I would have to wear Boyfriends tee shirts or turtleneck sweaters.

Some of us are not trying to shove our womanly assets in your face, we simply cannot help our bodies.

And I agree, implementing a new specific dresscode on the girls based on the reaction of hormone fulled boys is wrong.

--- End quote ---

Drawberry, I don't think Hmmmm meant any offense. I think that she meant there are a lot of people wearing fashions these days purposely flaunting cleavage - with see through tops, push up bras, see through tops WITH push up bras underneath, low cut blouses, that kind of thing. Most folks let more hang out these days than they used to. And I am saying this as a large breasted woman myself - I get your dilemma, believe me. I still can't wear any button up shirts because they will pop at the cleavage line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version