General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Okay! I Get It!

<< < (2/2)

O'Dell:

--- Quote from: rashea on November 20, 2012, 10:58:54 AM ---Why not just take the thing home, or at least off your desk. If I had let a coworker know that their scent bothered me and I saw it still sitting there a few days later, I wouldn't say anything, but I would be concerned that they would forget, or just not notice I was in one day and use it.

But then, this is why I wish there were more scent free policies in place.

--- End quote ---

I agree. We know you, CookieHappy, as a good eHellion will be conscientious and not use the lotion, but many people wouldn't be. I'm betting your coworker has run into plenty of people who poo-poo her sensitivity and "forget" etc. It isn't fair that she's not giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I also don't blame her for being concerned after some of the horror stories that I've read here from people with sensitivities/allergies.

If you really don't want to stop using the lotion at work even when she's not there, then maybe tackle it head on. Let her know that you know not everyone is sympathetic to sensitivities like hers, but you are sympathetic and won't use it around her.

cookiehappy:
Thanks everyone!  I've put the lotion bottle in my desk.  Out of sight, out of mind!

I am certainly sensitive to her health concerns and am happy to oblige in this way.

Hopefully, she won't mention it again when she is back in the office.

edgypeanuts:

--- Quote from: O'Dell on November 20, 2012, 11:08:52 AM ---I agree. We know you, CookieHappy, as a good eHellion will be conscientious and not use the lotion, but many people wouldn't be. I'm betting your coworker has run into plenty of people who poo-poo her sensitivity and "forget" etc. It isn't fair that she's not giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I also don't blame her for being concerned after some of the horror stories that I've read here from people with sensitivities/allergies.

--- End quote ---

Yes, this!  Scents give me a headache as well which I tried not to mention too much at work, until my manager put an automatic fresh mango spray thingy near my desk.  I moved it and explained that I could not have it there. 
It has been several years and he STILL thinks it is funny to spray my chair with air freshener (I have to actually wash the chair and sit elsewhere) and to buy perfumed handsoap and fill ALL the soap dispensers with it, etc.  I now bring my own soap etc, and I am labelled as being SO PICKY about things. ::)

So she is being over the top, but everytime he does these things to me he claims he just forgot or that it smells good.  If she has had a similiar experience it may be influencing her.

Hopefully hiding it will solve the problem!

Outdoor Girl:

--- Quote from: edgypeanuts on November 20, 2012, 12:49:14 PM ---
--- Quote from: O'Dell on November 20, 2012, 11:08:52 AM ---I agree. We know you, CookieHappy, as a good eHellion will be conscientious and not use the lotion, but many people wouldn't be. I'm betting your coworker has run into plenty of people who poo-poo her sensitivity and "forget" etc. It isn't fair that she's not giving you the benefit of the doubt, but I also don't blame her for being concerned after some of the horror stories that I've read here from people with sensitivities/allergies.

--- End quote ---

Yes, this!  Scents give me a headache as well which I tried not to mention too much at work, until my manager put an automatic fresh mango spray thingy near my desk.  I moved it and explained that I could not have it there. 
It has been several years and he STILL thinks it is funny to spray my chair with air freshener (I have to actually wash the chair and sit elsewhere) and to buy perfumed handsoap and fill ALL the soap dispensers with it, etc.  I now bring my own soap etc, and I am labelled as being SO PICKY about things. ::)

So she is being over the top, but everytime he does these things to me he claims he just forgot or that it smells good.  If she has had a similiar experience it may be influencing her.

Hopefully hiding it will solve the problem!

--- End quote ---

That's just harrassment.  If your company is big enough to have an HR department, this is exactly the kind of thing they should be dealing with.

gen xer:
This coworker seems like the type who gets off on looking for things to make an issue about.  These tedious souls lurk in every office setting.  Sure - you could hide the bottle and maybe it would shut her up....but ( and maybe this is just my evil side coming out ) sometimes it's better to shut them down. 

Just to be clear this is not about people with a scent allergy....but about the type of people who flog a complaint to death even after it has been resolved.  Sometimes the more people are humoured the worse they get...and they need someone to tell them to drop it in no uncertain terms ( in a civil manner of course ).

You apologized and agreed not to use the lotion anymore.  She needs to stop harping about a non-issue.  I don't think it would be rude to push back a little. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version