Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

tell me about using pressure cookers

(1/7) > >>

TootsNYC:
I don't think I really want to buy one, bcs I won't use it often enough, but I've thought about making riced potatoes by cooking russets in the pressure cooker (so I can do them on the stovetop).

How hard is it, really? My mom did it all the time, and I'm not normally a chicken.

But tell me about your experience learning to use one. And what you use it for.

rashea:
It's amazing for making soups. Really, anything that cooks slowly can be sped up.

I guess since I did pressure canning first, the cooker wasn't that scary. I think you need to read the directions carefully, but they are much tougher than they used to be.

wheeitsme:
My DH had us sign up for one for our wedding.  I was a bit dismissive. 

...Until I put in a frozen pot roast and it was falling apart in a little over an hour.

Frozen chicken breasts and a little flavoring liquid - poached chicken in half an hour.

Frozen thick cut boneless pork chops with applesauce, onions and a little liquid - 45 minutes.

Yes.  I love it.

Sophia:
Julia Child did a comparison of cooking methods for hard-boiled eggs.  Pressure cooker won. 

Moonie:
I have a digital pressure cooker. It also is a steamer, warmer, and slow cooker. It also browns. When I got it for Christmas from my mother, I thought, "What the heck am I going to do with THIS?"  It has come in very handy...especially for those nights where I forgot to take anything out of the freezer for dinner.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version