Author Topic: tell me about using pressure cookers  (Read 3260 times)

Moonie

Re: tell me about using pressure cookers
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »
I have a digital pressure cooker. It also is a steamer, warmer, and slow cooker. It also browns. When I got it for Christmas from my mother, I thought, "What the heck am I going to do with THIS?"  It has come in very handy...especially for those nights where I forgot to take anything out of the freezer for dinner.

THAT might be worth the storage space!

Link please?

www.qvc.com

cook's essentials digital pressure cooker

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 07:09:04 PM »

As an aside - for gnocchi, I boil the potatoes whole (making sure not to poke them too much as they cook) and peel, and they work beautifully. Peeling before boiling, though, gives more watery mashed potatoes.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 05:11:54 AM »

As an aside - for gnocchi, I boil the potatoes whole (making sure not to poke them too much as they cook) and peel, and they work beautifully. Peeling before boiling, though, gives more watery mashed potatoes.

I boil the potatoes in small pieces, so it will be faster. When they are tender, I drain well and return to the heat for a little while, to dry them off. Just low heat and an occasional shake of the pan does it nicely.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »
Here is a direct link to my pressure cooker that I also got from QVC.  Cooks Essentials 4qt Pressure cooker .  I wish I bought the larger version.  Here is a list of all available there: QVC Pressure cookers .

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 01:05:43 PM »
If you want to cook potatoes on the stovetop but don't want to invest in a pressure cooker, why not just boil them in a regular saucepan?  It doesn't take THAT long.

Because boiling adds water. And because you can do russets/Idaho (for mashed potatoed or gnocchi), which don't boil well.

That's not a problem I've ever had provided you drain well.  You're adding liquid to mash them anyway.  But ok.

Not for gnocchi, you're snot. And for mashed potatoes, my mother only ever added milk--not water.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »
I don't know if this will help with some of the concerns, but here's one that's pretty self regulating.

"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

CaptainObvious

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
If you want to cook potatoes on the stovetop but don't want to invest in a pressure cooker, why not just boil them in a regular saucepan?  It doesn't take THAT long.

Because boiling adds water. And because you can do russets/Idaho (for mashed potatoed or gnocchi), which don't boil well.

That's not a problem I've ever had provided you drain well.  You're adding liquid to mash them anyway.  But ok.

Not for gnocchi, you're snot. And for mashed potatoes, my mother only ever added milk--not water.

What?

wheeitsme

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 03:54:39 PM »

What?

I think it was an auto-correct issue.  I think they meant "you're not", LOL ;D

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 03:59:03 PM »

Not to be obtuse, but every time I've cooked potatoes in my pressure cooker, I've had to use water. The only difference between that and stovetop is time.

And what does how your mom makes her potatoes have to do with anything?

If you want a pressure cooker, get one. If not, boil them (whole or cut up) and drain them well afterwards. Easy.
Utah

CaptainObvious

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »

Not to be obtuse, but every time I've cooked potatoes in my pressure cooker, I've had to use water. The only difference between that and stovetop is time.

If you want a pressure cooker, get one. If not, boil them (whole or cut up) and drain them well afterwards. Easy.

A pressure cooker doesn't work unless you add somekind of liquid to it. You are still boiling your food, just at a higher temperature.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 04:11:00 PM »

A pressure cooker doesn't work unless you add somekind of liquid to it. You are still boiling your food, just at a higher temperature.

Thanks! That was kind of breaking my brain. Glad I'm not being dense :)
Utah

Paper Roses

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 04:13:20 PM »

So is that where the snot comes in?
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2012, 03:55:40 AM »
I don't know if this will help with some of the concerns, but here's one that's pretty self regulating.

OK so i keep thinking of a pot with a cover and a whistle, that you put on the stove top. that's what my mother had. i didn't know they had these new-fangled ones...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2012, 11:02:42 AM »

OK so i keep thinking of a pot with a cover and a whistle, that you put on the stove top. that's what my mother had. i didn't know they had these new-fangled ones...

Me either, but my sister might be getting one for Christmas. Especially because it looks like it can do the browning, and then act as a slow cooker on top of being a pressure cooker.

I have an old pressure cooker (and a pressure canner, but cooking in that would be silly as it's huge). I love making food so fast, and it conserves fuel, which is something we're careful about these days.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2012, 04:56:26 PM »

Rashea, I've been using a manual pressure cooker for decades.  But am considering upgrading to an electronic.  Did you ever use a manual one?  Have you found benefit to the electornic one like it getting up to pressure faster?