Author Topic: Double Booked - Now What?  (Read 3324 times)

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
Double Booked - Now What?
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »
Yesterday, I was offered fantastic seats for an NFL game "on Sunday."  I immediately accepted, excited to go to my first NFL game and have sweet seats to boot!

Later in the afternoon, my running partner asked me to run a 10K with her Dec. 9 to support a religion that is not my own.  I felt a bit odd about it, but told her I would and signed up. 

This morning, the NFL tickets were delivered to me and it turns out they are not for this Sunday but rather for Dec. 9, at the exact same time as my race.

Here's the thing: I really want to go to the game.  The cost of the tickets (which were free to me) is about 10 times the cost of the race, so forfeiting the money is not the issue.  I am trying to figure out how to back out of the race, if I can.  It's a problem of I did not realize I was already committed to the game on Dec. 9 when I signed up for the race on Dec. 9.

Advice on how to explain this to my running partner? 

bloo

Re: Double Booked - Now What?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 04:11:04 PM »
"I am so sorry, RP, but when I committed to running the 10K with you I got the dates mixed up and already committed to a game."

Leave the religion or your preference for the game or even the cost of the tickets out of it. You committed to the game first - you're in the clear.

Just a sweet apology and a promise to hit the next race with her! Have fun!

Just a thought: is this the type of friend that will be so disappointed that she starts asking for details of prices and dates to find out if there's a way for you to do both (or to see how important she is in comparison to a game)?

I would just expect to do a "Sorry, can't make it; didn't realize I double-booked myself. Gonna have to eat my entry fee but I know it's going to a cause that's important to you. I promise to hit the next race with you!" as soon as possible.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
Thanks, bloo - I like your phrasing.

She's a great person who wouldn't normally get bent out of shape over much of anything.  But her BF broke up with her this morning so I don't want to be all, "yeah, I'm going to make your day even worse" right now.  :(

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 04:19:13 PM »
I'd tell her the truth (leaving out the "free" part of the tickets) "omigosh Anne, I'm so sorry!  Turns out I can't do the run on the 9th.  I got a great deal on some NFL tickets that I knew were on a Sunday but I didn't realize were on December 9 Sunday.  I'm so sorry but I actually already got the tickets and am committed to going." Then I'd offer "but please, let me donate in your name - what's your link?" and put down some money for her cause.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »
I'd tell her the truth (leaving out the "free" part of the tickets) "omigosh Anne, I'm so sorry!  Turns out I can't do the run on the 9th.  I got a great deal on some NFL tickets that I knew were on a Sunday but I didn't realize were on December 9 Sunday.  I'm so sorry but I actually already got the tickets and am committed to going." Then I'd offer "but please, let me donate in your name - what's your link?" and put down some money for her cause.

This, or i would leave out the game altogether. Obviously you know your friend and would have an idea where she stands on football. I never knew until being on here how polarizing it can be. You would know if she would be upset at being turned down for just a game better than we would.

Have fun!

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

The703

• Formerly ND Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:29:34 PM »
Yesterday, I was offered fantastic seats for an NFL game "on Sunday."  I immediately accepted, excited to go to my first NFL game and have sweet seats to boot!

Later in the afternoon, my running partner asked me to run a 10K with her Dec. 9 to support a religion that is not my own.  I felt a bit odd about it, but told her I would and signed up. 

This morning, the NFL tickets were delivered to me and it turns out they are not for this Sunday but rather for Dec. 9, at the exact same time as my race.

Here's the thing: I really want to go to the game.  The cost of the tickets (which were free to me) is about 10 times the cost of the race, so forfeiting the money is not the issue.  I am trying to figure out how to back out of the race, if I can.  It's a problem of I did not realize I was already committed to the game on Dec. 9 when I signed up for the race on Dec. 9.

Advice on how to explain this to my running partner?

How about the truth? You have tickets to an NFL game and didn't realize the dates were the same.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 06:29:36 PM »
I agree with Hobish, if she is the type to feel like you are dumping her for a feww game then I wouldn't mention it.  Just say you were committed elsewhere and didn't realize it was the same day.

Fleur

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 04:34:04 AM »

This, or i would leave out the game altogether. Obviously you know your friend and would have an idea where she stands on football. I never knew until being on here how polarizing it can be. You would know if she would be upset at being turned down for just a game better than we would.

Have fun!

Off topic, but I can never understand that. It may be 'just a game' but for a lot of people it is a source of great joy. I speak as someone who doesn't enjoy sport, but does love dance and music. I don't understand this 'just a game/concert/ballet' mentality at all. 

To the OP, I like some PPs wordings. I don't think that you should feel bad at all, it was an honest mistake, and things like that happen all the time.