Author Topic: S/O mashed potatos - Mashers?  (Read 3734 times)

Iris

S/O mashed potatos - Mashers?
« on: November 21, 2012, 02:59:37 AM »
I noticed in the mashed potato thread that people were talking about mashing their potatos in a ricer or with a fork. So I was wondering - how common are potato mashers? I mean ones like this

or this

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-62211862/stock-photo-potato-masher-isolated-on-white-background-with-clipping-path.html

Everyone I know uses one of these. Is this just an Australian or Australian/UK thing?
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Ereine

Re: S/O mashed potatos - Mashers?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 04:52:12 AM »
We have those in Finland, though I've never used one. My experience has been with wooden mashers (like these) or food mills (we had one just like this at home, also useful for apple sauce). 

peaches

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 04:57:21 AM »
I live in the US, and I use a masher like the one you have pictured. My grown kids also mash potatoes that way.

I occasionally use a ricer, which makes nice smooth potatoes, but the ricer is a bit of a pain to clean.

When I was first married, I used an electric mixer, because that is the way I was taught to make mashed potatoes at home. But it is easy to overbeat potatoes that way, and they can end up tasting gluey if you're not careful. 

We love mashed pototoes, and any way you get them to the table is fine with me!

IslandMama

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 05:13:38 AM »
I have the one you have in the link.  :)  I am yet to buy a ricer, mainly because I'm too lazy to clean it properly.

katycoo

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 05:43:17 AM »
I have a masher like in teh pic, but my mum always just mashed with a fork. Good things we're not fussy about lumps.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 06:37:19 AM »
I live in israel.

I have one like the first photo in the OP but it's plastic and i think the wholes are smaller. I don't make mashed potatoes that often, and i either use the masher or a fork. we like lumps. ;D

I used to use the masher also for blended soups but then i got a stick blender.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Jones

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 07:23:53 AM »
What you've posted is the only thing I've ever seen to mash potatoes, up until that thread.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:09:18 AM »
Always used a mixer in my family.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 08:16:10 AM »
I have a ricer and 2 mashers.  I adore my ricer.  As for it being difficult to clean, I just soak it right after in a bowl of water till I can soap it up.  The ricer gives me the fluffiest and creamiest potatoes ever with using the least amount of butter/milk/cream.

I actually use my masher for other things like mashing beans or tostones. LOL

lowspark

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »
I tried a ricer once but it's too much trouble and I like the lumps anyway. Plus I normally don't peel my potatoes for mashed potatoes. I like the peel. And to use a ricer, you can't have peel.

I use a masher like this:

CakeBeret

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »
I have a potato masher, but I prefer to use an electric mixer. Trying to mash 10lb of potatoes by hand is not a job I would enjoy! (And, somehow, I always make mashed potatoes in large quantities. My DH adores them and would be supremely confused if I only made a small batch.) I used to use a handheld mixer until I got a Kitchenaid, and now I use that with the whisk attachment.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

dawbs

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 10:26:05 AM »
I tried a ricer once but it's too much trouble and I like the lumps anyway. Plus I normally don't peel my potatoes for mashed potatoes. I like the peel. And to use a ricer, you can't have peel.

This is the kind I prefer...they 'clean' better mid-mash.

peaches

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »

That's the exact same masher I use! It works great.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
Wow - I had never seen those before. I just learned that what I use is called a ricer (why? what comes out looks nothing like rice). I am now curious to taste "mashed" potato instead of "riced" potato.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
My Mom had one like the one pictured in the OP.  I have one like the one lowspark posted.  We also used them for rutabaga mashing and mine is better for doing a quick tap to get everything off before switching pots.  We'd do the potato first, then the rutabaga.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario