Author Topic: S/O mashed potatos - Mashers?  (Read 3397 times)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: S/O mashed potatos - Mashers?
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 11:04:30 AM »
I use one like in the link in the OP.  I had one like the one pictured in the OP but it was plastic and after a while it broke, so I replaced it with the link one.  I actually made mashed potatoes last night after having read the thread  :D and used it - its super easy and works well with the skins still being on the potatoes (the skins are the healthiest part!)  And its ridiculously easy to clean - pop in dishwasher and don't give it a second thought.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 11:29:15 AM »
We've been using a cheerful, red plastic hand masher for many years and like it very much.  Mr. Thipu does the mashing because he more strength than I do.  It's also a good way to take out some aggression.

Lynnv

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 11:51:54 AM »
Apparently I am a kitchen gadget junkie.  Which I knew.

I have the round one with the holes from the OP, which I use for small batches when it is just DH and I.  I have the loop one, which I mostly use for crushing fruit for jam and breaking up ground beef/sausage that I am browning.  I have a ricer that I use for holidays to get really smooth potatoes.  And I have a food mill that I mostly use for making raspberry and blackberry jam with less seeds.  But I did try it on mashed potatoes once.  But I liked the ricer better for potatoes.

Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 12:38:07 PM »
I have a masher like the one Lowspark posted, but I don't use it for potatoes. I use it for quacamole. For potatoes I use a mixer. I got rid of the ricer because I didn't like the texture it gave potatoes.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

Iris

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »
Wow - I had never seen those before. I just learned that what I use is called a ricer (why? what comes out looks nothing like rice). I am now curious to taste "mashed" potato instead of "riced" potato.

And vice versa for me :) I would never have thought to call "mashed" potatoes lumpy as many in the other thread have so I'm guessing ricers must make the potatoes very very smooth, which would also explain to me why some people prefer the ultra-smooth instant potatoes.

"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »
Wow - I had never seen those before. I just learned that what I use is called a ricer (why? what comes out looks nothing like rice). I am now curious to taste "mashed" potato instead of "riced" potato.

And vice versa for me :) I would never have thought to call "mashed" potatoes lumpy as many in the other thread have so I'm guessing ricers must make the potatoes very very smooth, which would also explain to me why some people prefer the ultra-smooth instant potatoes.
Ricing produces a smooth but fluffy texture.  Not smooth and clumpy which I associate instant potatoes with.  Blah. 

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 10:01:49 PM »

Ricing produces a smooth but fluffy texture.  Not smooth and clumpy which I associate instant potatoes with.  Blah. 

Yes, I would describe "riced" potatoes as light and fluffy. I can't imagine them gluey or clumpy.

Rohanna

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 10:08:46 PM »
Mine looks like lowsparks.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Bluenomi

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 10:52:39 PM »
I have both a masher and a ricer. I got the ricer after wathcing tv chefs use them, it makes the mash a lot smoother but they taste the same.

IslandMama

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 04:44:17 AM »
*sigh*  I had dinner earlier (beef eye fillet cooked rare and topped with coriander/lime butter, crispy garlic potatoes and grilled zucchini, mushrooms and eggplant) but now all I really want is mashed potatoes.  *sigh*

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2012, 04:49:39 AM »
*sigh*  I had dinner earlier (beef eye fillet cooked rare and topped with coriander/lime butter, crispy garlic potatoes and grilled zucchini, mushrooms and eggplant) but now all I really want is mashed potatoes.  *sigh*

While your dinner sounds much better than mine, I share your mashed potato craving. Guess what is for lunch today?

MummyPumpkin83

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2012, 01:44:21 AM »
I recently purchased this masher http://www.dreamfarm.com/smood/
I have yet to try it on potatoes, but it works well on cooked apples for the baby!
Mummy to 3 little Pumpkin boys!

CakeEater

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2012, 02:02:49 AM »
I've never seen a ricer in my life! I have a masher like the one in the OP. I'm in Australia.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2012, 06:49:58 AM »
I made "riced" potatoes last night, with cream cheese instead of butter. Yumm! I tried boiling them whole. I don't think it was worth it. It took much longer and the result was no different from my usual method (boil, drain, heat to remove excess water).

Also, a quick tip for those who use ricers. I don't peel my potatoes before boiling. I put them in the ricer with the skin. As long as you aren't putting too much at a time, the potato will all squeeze out, leaving behind the entire peel in the ricer. Scoop out, add more potato and carry on. As soon as you finish mashing the potatoes, run the ricer under water, to remove all the potatoes bits. They will come right off while they are still warm. However, if you let them dry, it will be a pain to clean all the holes.

Including clean up, it took me less than 5 minutes of active time to make my potatoes (I do something else while they are cooking, so I don't count that.

kckgirl

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 08:38:58 AM »
I have a masher similar to the one in the OP that came with a set of utensils, but I actually use one like lowspark's because I like it a lot better (and we like lumps in our potatoes).
Maryland