Author Topic: Already making enemies and I just moved in  (Read 6747 times)

sourwolf

Re: Already making enemies and I just moved in
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 09:58:04 AM »
It's snotty to say "call the landlord and ask" when you could have said "No, I spoke to the landlord and it's ok to have a dog."

I don't agree.  It sounds like the neighbor wasn't willing to believe OP when she said that the landlord said she was allowed to have it and so Op was going the extra mile and offering contact info so that the neighbor could check for herself.
We read the OP in different ways -
When she told me she didn't think I was allowed to have dogs
To me that's not saying she didn't believe the OP after the OP said it was ok, it's saying that she didn't think dogs were allowed and instead of the OP saying they *were* she offered the landlord's phone #.  (Which, I agree with the PP who said if I was the landlord I'd be pretty annoyed that the OP was offering my phone # to the neighbor.)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 09:59:14 AM »
OP mentioned there is a fence.  I assume it is visible.

onyonryngs

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »

Visible, yes.  Contains the dogs, no.

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 10:03:06 AM »
Im very sorry but I think you actions and justifications for those actions are completely in the wrong. I understand that it may be difficult for you to want to curb your dogs natural instinct to bound and run around but you absolutely have to. Your dog is your responsibility and it is unfair and unforgivable to impose this on your neighbours. You may have to keep the dog in the house at times if the alternative is that he pesters your neighbours. I love animals and especially dogs but you have to be a responsible dog owner and that means taking steps to ensure that nobodies peace, harmony or property is disturbed by your dog. A large dog bounding into a garden that is unknown and of unknown temperament to someone, can be scary for most people, even if they are dog lovers. I can only imagine it might be even more frightening for small children or in this case an elderly lady who is blind. When you're a dog owner, you don't just "try your best" or "do what you can" to stop dogs escaping - you absolutely have to make sure they don't. Could you build a higher fence? Can you put the dog in a very long, loose leash?

With regards to the trailer situation, it would be a nuisance to anyone but for someone who is visually impaired, it might make it harder for her to navigate as well as like you said, make things more scarey. But regardless of whether she had an impairment or not, it would be annoying for anyone. Even though you were unaware of your work schedule, could you have moved it the first day you got back from work? Can you leave it for the time being at a friend or family's house who lives nearby before you figure out a permanent place for it?

If I were you, I would move the trailer asap and visit both the neighbours house in a friendly manner and maybe even with a store-bought or baked cake and apologise to neighbour 1 for having kept the trailer there for so long - but it is now moved and reassure her and neighbour no.2 that the dogs will not run into their garden. This does not mean saying you will try your best to make sure it doesn't happen. You have to reassure them that you have or will actively take steps that will cause 0% chance of the dog running into their gardens.

*Sorry, I posted that before I read your clarification. Yes if I were you, I would approach the daycare neighbour and introduce yourself and tell her about how you will contain her dog to keep her mind at peace. Be friendly, take her concerns into consideration and don't be defensive. She's looking after children so even one small dog escape mistake, even if it just happens once, could be very concerning. Parents may be reluctant to leave their kids their if there is a chance a dog might run in (even though i'm sure your dog is lovely). If you legitimately listen to her worries and be friendly and accommodating about being a good neighbour and dog owner, I can't see how the conversation will go anything but well.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:09:36 AM by Tilt Fairy »

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »

Visible, yes.  Contains the dogs, no.

According to OP, that has been addressed.

O'Dell

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 10:05:33 AM »

Even if there is a fence, it's not doing it's job. Any fix that MM uses should be visible so that the neighbors can *see* that the dog won't get away again. That way any concerned neighbors seeing the dog out can *see* that MM has done something about it rather than watching and worrying that it will happen again. (I say this from long experience with neighbors letting their dogs get out...hunting dogs which ran hither and yon after domestic and wild animals  ::))
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »

Even if there is a fence, it's not doing it's job. Any fix that MM uses should be visible so that the neighbors can *see* that the dog won't get away again. That way any concerned neighbors seeing the dog out can *see* that MM has done something about it rather than watching and worrying that it will happen again. (I say this from long experience with neighbors letting their dogs get out...hunting dogs which ran hither and yon after domestic and wild animals  ::))

The dog dug under the fence which means the fix was down below and probably not easily seen, especially to a blind neighbor. SInce that is the only person who has expressed concern I don't know what else she is to do.  I wouldn't let them onto the property to examine it.  I suppose they could check it from their side if they wished.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 10:10:37 AM »
You should really make sure your trailer is parked legally, or else you risk getting a huge daily fine.  I wouldn't wait on this.  Where I live, a trailer cannot be parked on the street AT ALL if it is unhitched from its tow vehicle.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 10:11:50 AM »
You should really make sure your trailer is parked legally, or else you risk getting a huge daily fine.  I wouldn't wait on this.  Where I live, a trailer cannot be parked on the street AT ALL if it is unhitched from its tow vehicle.

That does sound like something to follow up on.

O'Dell

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 10:18:07 AM »

The dog dug under the fence which means the fix was down below and probably not easily seen, especially to a blind neighbor. SInce that is the only person who has expressed concern I don't know what else she is to do.  I wouldn't let them onto the property to examine it.  I suppose they could check it from their side if they wished.

My suggestions had nothing to do with the fence or letting people onto the property to inspect it. I won't repeat my suggestions on containing the dog from my first post.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

ilrag

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 10:23:49 AM »
OP it sounds like you made some missteps when you first moved in.  I understand that you fixed the fence - are you sure that there's no place your dogs can escape again?

Bad first impressions can take a while to correct. If I were you I'd make an extra effort to be nice and show the neighbors that it was just moving crazies that got you started on the wrong foot, but don't expect them to get over it right away.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 10:25:49 AM »

My concern is the daycare neighbor and how to handle that situation.

I would go over, knock on her door, and introduce myself. I'd give her a slip of paper with my name and phone number and reassure her that two of the dogs are only visiting until Sunday, you've fixed the area of the fence the dog had snuck under, and she's more than welcome to give you a call if she has any more concerns about the dogs.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 10:30:38 AM »
Am I right in that there are 3 dogs currently, and 2 of them until Sunday? OP, your new neighbor sees 3 dogs, and at least one of them has gotten loose and run into their yard. Honestly, I'd question whether a renter can have that many dogs (yes, I realize 2 are moms and will be there short-term, but first impressions and all). When I rented, I was allowed 1 cat. Even bringing in another cat for catsitting purposes was not allowed. I'd check that out with your landlord as well.

And parking a trailer in front of my home for days at a time, with no explanation from its owner, would definitely make me unhappy. It's not the same as a car. It's big, it's unsightly, and in many places it's illegal.

As a PP said, you only have one chance to make a first impression. You have some fences to mend here.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
That assumes there is any daycare situation at all. It is possible the neighbor has invoked them to give her complaints more muscle.

Tilt Fairy

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
That assumes there is any daycare situation at all. It is possible the neighbor has invoked them to give her complaints more muscle.

Speculation that it's a lie is based on no evidence and is irrelevant anyway. Daycare or not, the dog shouldn't be running into the garden. It doesn't matter if the garden is full of kids 24/7 or is empty and unused 24/7.