Author Topic: Already making enemies and I just moved in  (Read 7078 times)

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
Re: Already making enemies and I just moved in
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2012, 03:09:44 PM »
I believe there are 3 dogs but 2 will be gone shortly. Only one has gotten ou and that was only one time.

No, the OP has at least two from what she has posted before.

I'm fairly sure they are very large dogs too so I understand the concern for having them run amok around wee kids.

OP you say three times you'll 'do what I can' to keep the dogs in and/or move the trailer. Honestly if I got that vibe from a new neighbour I wouldn't bother discussing any problems in future I'd got straight to animal control or another appropriate authority.

Dr. F.

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2012, 04:38:25 PM »
I believe there are 3 dogs but 2 will be gone shortly. Only one has gotten ou and that was only one time.

I'm fairly sure they are very large dogs too so I understand the concern for having them run amok around wee kids.

OP you say three times you'll 'do what I can' to keep the dogs in and/or move the trailer. Honestly if I got that vibe from a new neighbour I wouldn't bother discussing any problems in future I'd got straight to animal control or another appropriate authority.

Um, I'm not sure what you want the OP to do above and beyond what she can? ???

One of my dogs escaped the day I moved into my new place. It was a new place, and he was confused. He hasn't done it since.  I don't see how a single, isolated incident equals "allowing big dogs to run amok around a day care!!!"

Of course, all dog owners should do all they can to restrain their dogs. No argument. But, wow.

Kiwichick

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
No need for the snark.  I'd expect her to absolutely keep her dogs in her yard and out of mine, not 'do what she could'.  If it means keeping all three inside all day every day too bad. 

Please don't ramp up the drama by misquoting me and putting words in my mouth I didn't say "allowing big dogs to run amok around a day care!!!" I said I understood the neighbours concern. As far as the neighbours know MM lets her dogs run amok because that's what they've seen in the short time she's lived there.

I've owned big dogs myself and people are more wary of them around little kids simply because they can knock them over with their tails and quite often their teeth are level with the kids faces.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2012, 04:50:38 PM »

One of my dogs escaped the day I moved into my new place. It was a new place, and he was confused. He hasn't done it since.  I don't see how a single, isolated incident equals "allowing big dogs to run amok around a day care!!!"

Of course, all dog owners should do all they can to restrain their dogs. No argument. But, wow.
I took her response as per the bolded as I will do the best I can but if it happens, shrugs.  That's the vibe I get as well plus with OP being annoyed and stubborn comment.  It's very different if she had posted, "The dogs got out but I did this and that to ensure it won't happen again."  She never used that wording to give confidence or assurance the neighbor was asking for.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »
It sounds as if they have seen one dog get out once. To me that is quite different from them seeing dogs running amok. It happened once, with one dog, ftom OPs description. Characterizing that as if the only thing neighbors have seen are dogs running amok seems deliberately falsr anf uncharitable.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2012, 05:03:47 PM »
OP, as long as you prevent the dogs from escaping your yard, you will be able to overcome these issues. Will you continue to watch Kim's dogs on a regular basis? If so, you may need to replace or reinforce the fence. You didn't ask for them, but here are some ((hugs)).

Regardless to their being a daycare in the neighborhood or not, this sounds like a residential area. I don't see why there would be harsher rules about dogs because someone has a home-based daycare.

Kiwichick

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
It sounds as if they have seen one dog get out once. To me that is quite different from them seeing dogs running amok. It happened once, with one dog, ftom OPs description. Characterizing that as if the only thing neighbors have seen are dogs running amok seems deliberately falsr anf uncharitable.

Again, don't misquote me. I didn't characterise it as they the only thing they have seen, I said I could understand 'the concern for having them run amok around wee kids'.  Misquoting me and second guessing my motives seems fairly false and uncharitable too. 

A dog's owner is responsible for keeping the dog under control.  Having the dog out of her control in her first week of living there would put me on notice that the new neighbour may not be that concerned about her responsibilities.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2012, 05:10:13 PM »
Just thought to wonder if the day care is required to maintain the fenceline for the safety of their kids in general? They wouldn't want kids to slip out, hurt themselves, etc. That might be why there was only a problem on one side.

elephantschild

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2012, 05:32:36 PM »
I agree with Sharnita. Folks seem to be acting very uncharitable toward the OP.  ???  The way I'm reading it, one dog (who won't even be there past Sunday) got out and in the neighbor's yard, once. The OP believes she has fixed the situation. (Hence, "will do what I can." What more can she do?)

I also took the "call the landlord" thing as a way to deal with someone who just wouldn't believe her. I thought it was more polite and reassuring than just "well, I am," myself.

To address the question, I think it would be nice to introduce yourself to the daycare owner. I don't think I'd even bring the dogs up unless she/he asked ... if she/he does, then you can address it.

As far as the trailer, I agree with TootsNYC. It's a public street. Just get it out of there as soon as you can.

Good luck, OP.
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2012, 05:38:28 PM »
I took her response as per the bolded as I will do the best I can but if it happens, shrugs.  That's the vibe I get as well plus with OP being annoyed and stubborn comment.  It's very different if she had posted, "The dogs got out but I did this and that to ensure it won't happen again."  She never used that wording to give confidence or assurance the neighbor was asking for.

To be honest that's how I read it too.  That she would try to keep the dogs contained but wasn't all that super concerned and that she thought the neighbors should have a level of understanding that dogs sometime escape. 

IMO once is one time too many and she needs to make extra super duper sure the dogs are contained, there should be zero wiggle room with this issue.  If the dog dug under the fence once, it can do it again - so the dogs cannot be out in the yard unsupervised unless the fence has been set down in to the ground or some sort of barrier has been installed or whatever one does to stop a dog from digging.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »
The daycare neighbor hasn't approached you. So I wouldn't bother approaching her.

Just figure out how to make extra sure the dogs *can't* get out of your yard. Get a long chain for them. Or if they're only visiting for a week, then just keep them inside and do potty breaks on a leash.

The trailer is annoying, but you know what? It's a public street. As long as its' *legal* to park it there, I don't think you need to be that apologetic anymore.

Get rid of it as fast as you can, and put it in front of your house or in your drive if at all possible.

I'd just like to note that some people see a new homeowner as a "changing of the guard", if you will, and feel like they can voice their concerns right away.

I highlighted the bit that makes perfect sense to me. Even in tightly controlled home owner association communities here, you can have your trailer/RV/etc parked on the street for a week per month. In many of our neighborhoods, houses are on flag lots, and have next to no frontage, so it would be in front of the neighbor's home. I don't understand why the OP is being criticized for that.

Isisnin

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2012, 06:55:29 PM »
I agree with Sharnita. Folks seem to be acting very uncharitable toward the OP.  ???  The way I'm reading it, one dog (who won't even be there past Sunday) got out and in the neighbor's yard, once. The OP believes she has fixed the situation. (Hence, "will do what I can." What more can she do?)

I agree with Sharnita also.  And now Elephantschild also.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2012, 07:35:52 PM »

I believe you could make your point without being snarky.