Author Topic: windows 8  (Read 974 times)

MOM21SON

windows 8
« on: November 22, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »
Happy Thanksgiving!

I am getting ready to start my shopping on Saturday.  I am wondering if anybody is using windows 8?  The Laptop I am looking at has it.  is it hard to use?

Phoebelion

Re: windows 8
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 02:11:32 PM »
DH partitioned and loaded it  on one of his computers a couple of weeks ago.  He's spent about 15 hours total goofing around with it.  He finds it difficult to navigate.

But I also need to tell you he doesn't like change of any kind.   All walls should be white kind of guy. 

He hasn't let me anywhere near it, so I don't know if it's him or the software.

Do you have time for saleperson to guide you thru it (hopefully they will know more about it).

Happy shopping.

MOM21SON

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 02:15:57 PM »
No sales person, but the place I am going to order it from does have a tutorial page on it.

Whats is it with husbands and change????  Mine is the same way.

NutellaNut

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
My husband has his own business as a computer repair and update technician.  He has played around with Windows 8 and thinks it's awful.  He feels that Microsoft was trying too hard to give it a "smartphone" look and instead it is going to throw many many users, especially businesses, for a loop.  It took him 5 minutes to find where the "shut down computer" was...when he spoke to someone from Microsoft supposedly leading a class on Windows 8 (which really was merely a class on "Push Windows 8!  Make your customers buy it!" with very little info on what benefits the new OS brings), that person told him, "just close the laptop to shut down."  DH was incredulous - he actually advises his laptop users NOT to use "sleep mode" because it can cause difficulties for some of their programs, and besides, many people will be using Windows 8 on desktop PCs, not laptops. 

DH likes Windows 7 very much, feels it is stable and works well with most of the programs his clients use, and is advising all of us to wait wait wait before using Windows 8.

faithlessone

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 02:35:58 PM »
I don't have it, but I've played around with a friend's laptop which does.

I'm a bit of a techhead, and I agree that it's not very user friendly. It's too much like a smartphone/tablet, but without any of the benefits. I know from my own experience that working out how to do such simple things as turning it off and adjusting the settings was annoyingly difficult (and if I hadn't had my friend there, it probably would have taken me quite a while).

The menu graphics are also very annoying. It's like Windows saw the iPad, but didn't quite understand it. I love my iPad, but I think I'd go nuts if I had to use Windows 8 on a regular basis.

I would seriously suggest trying to find something with Windows 7, or waiting a while.

misha412

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 05:18:04 PM »
My fiance is a computer geek to the max. He downloaded a copy about a week ago and started playing around with it.

First, it is best used with a touch screen. He had one and played around with it a bit. The interface is not intuitive at all. It took him many tries to find basic menu items. It slowed down the computer drastically. Before he had XP running on the computer and it was flying with 2 Gig of DDR3 memory. Windows 8 needs 4 Gig to run as fast.

His verdict is that Windows 8 is not worth it.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 06:09:27 PM »
I posted about this several weeks ago. I'm going to look it up and supply the link.

Here it is:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=122410.msg2825341#msg2825341

As a post script, I don't think that DH has used that laptop past a week after installing Windows 8.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:14:03 PM by AmethystAnne »

MOM21SON

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »
Thank you all for your advice.  I am sorry to say, I did not follow it.  But, I will share my reasons.

1)DS really wants it.
2)Almost everyone has wanted something for Christmas, only to be surprised with something similar.
3)With my work discount I got 20% off and it came with Microsoft office
4)Since I am an employee, I can return it at anytime for a full refund less return shipping.

So, I did it and may be sorry, but it felt right for now ::)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 04:49:47 PM »
Hey, no worries  ;D  20% discount and Microsoft Offce and the return policy? All good things!

I think Windows 8 will be a fun thing. I really like my iPad, but sometimes I run into situations where having a mouse to use with it would be a good thing.

In the long run, if my DH had known then what he knows now, he probably would have put "8" on his laptop anyway.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 08:31:32 PM »
After watching my Mom with her new one today, I think there will be a learning curve, but that it'll be good eventually. Personally, I'll try to hold out for the next round. Especially until if I didn't have a touch screen. But, it might, once setup, be easy enough for some of my older relatives. I guess I see that it's got potential.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Cutenoob

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »
My fiance is a computer geek to the max. He downloaded a copy about a week ago and started playing around with it.

First, it is best used with a touch screen. He had one and played around with it a bit. The interface is not intuitive at all. It took him many tries to find basic menu items. It slowed down the computer drastically. Before he had XP running on the computer and it was flying with 2 Gig of DDR3 memory. Windows 8 needs 4 Gig to run as fast.

His verdict is that Windows 8 is not worth it.
Pssst..press the windows button and you get a normal desktop!

This is my opinion/slight experience:
The boxes/large floating icons on the "new" desktop are made to be very similar to the current smartphone setup. It IS best for a touchscreen, just as the smartphones are. But, if you look, the large icons/flags/whatever are kind of a huge "quick toolbar".
Your quick toolbar sits at the bottom of your screen. You can click an icon there to open up the application. Ok, fine.
I'd have to see if you can tie specific apps to those flag/icons but I'm sure you can.
Overall it's not meant for a mouse, but if you press the Windows button you get blank desktop!
I would use at least a dual-core CPU, and 4+gb ram. (a computer that is about 3 yrs old physically would work)

Think of this too: Android is the main OS for smartphones. That OS/look is not used for any computer OS. The iPhone/Pods are different OS than the Macs. Somewhat similar 'feel' when driving, due to the 'ease of use' in the icons/apps. (one click it works). Here, MS is matching up their smartphone OS to their desktop OS. That takes a pair to do. Touchpads are already here, iPad etc, so this OS is just before the touchpads become a main home figure. Oh, yeah, laptops also have touchscreens too, just not common. This is my opinion on business/IT /rollout.
In person, I don't really LIKE it, but I can get used to the flag/icons. I think. I'd want to cut a few out, add my own? and reconnect a lot of those to other apps. (just like you can with an icon on the desktop).
This OS will NOT be used for corporate/business usage, W7 will be driven into the ground at work. (shoot, XP is still running in a lot of places)
I kind of think of those icons as large print for users :)

PeterM

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »
My only experience with  Windows 8 so far is very  much a niche thing, but I'm not impressed. One of my jobs at the library is helping people figure out the Library2Go system that allows you to download ebooks and audiobooks to your computer or various mobile devices. I got a very amusing email from a woman yesterday who has a new Windows 8 laptop. She hates it in pretty much every way possible, but her specific question to me is why she can no longer download audiobooks the way she used to.

There are two versions of the program that allows you to download library files. One is an app meant for mobile devices, like phones and Ipads, and can only download certain file types. The other is a program meant for real computers and can download all file types. Turns out Windows 8 defaults to the app rather than the program. It can still run the full program if you specifically track it down and install it, but the idea of a computer operating system that deliberately attempts to be no more powerful or useful than what you get on a phone does not fill me with confidence.