Author Topic: How was I supposed to know??  (Read 10594 times)

Roe

• Super Hero!
Re: How was I supposed to know??
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2012, 07:36:14 PM »
Definitely report her.  In customer service, tone is everything.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »
Being that you waited for a long time and there were about 15 people behind you, maybe the lady thought you wouldn't be able to hear her and spoke loudly.  You mentioned you were weepy/emotional on cold meds which could make you more sensitive to the volume of her voice.  And when she saw that she upset you, she tried to tell you why.  I wouldn't write to corporate personally.  But I can see why if you would want to.

sourwolf

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2012, 08:50:45 PM »
Sorry....very difficult to do that from a phone.  I respond as I see posts.

I'm not sure what your point is? I was under the impression that it was bad form to reply before reading through, especially if it was to chastize someone. You miss a lot of turns in conversation otherwise. I'm posting from my phone right now and have never had a problem going back to quote a post after I have read all of them.

JennJenn68

« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
95% of a conversation has nothing to do with the actual words used within.  It all comes down to tone and body language.  (One of the biggest reasons why I loathe the telephone and refuse, point-blank, to text.  I do email, but I'm very good at getting my point across just with words, thanks to repeated editing.)

Personally, I wouldn't bother with sending a letter--but I'm just a lazy so-and-so, and would rather just take my business elsewhere.  If it's a Tim's (and I'm only assuming this based on the rest of the thread) you can't throw a rock without hitting one in Ontario, so I'd just go to another one in future.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, Knitterly.  I hope you're feeling better now.  (If you've been on cold meds, you must have been ill.  Again, I'm assuming.)

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »
how does a sign "break"?

I used to work at Tim's, so I can answer this for you.  The signs are meant to be universally interchangeable. They slide in to holders so that there's no limit to how product can be arranged on the shelves.  They break if you so much as look at them the wrong way, or they did when I worked there.  They're cheap and brittle and if an employee dropped one, I can easily see it breaking.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2012, 10:51:41 PM »

Why is there a question about the sign being broken?

We have signs at work that fall and break all the time. If they aren't the big poster kind that tape to the front door of the store, then there is a very good chance that it will break and have to be replaced in a few weeks.

Well, because I don't know how a broken sign would be missing 1 word.
Maybe the sign wouldn't be there at all.

If there was a sign that was missing a word, then I think that using the word "broken" (if that was indeed the employee's word) is sort of a tip-off to a "it's not my problem to fix" attitude.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2012, 11:13:57 PM »

Well, because I don't know how a broken sign would be missing 1 word.
Maybe the sign wouldn't be there at all.

If there was a sign that was missing a word, then I think that using the word "broken" (if that was indeed the employee's word) is sort of a tip-off to a "it's not my problem to fix" attitude.

I can't speak for policies at all the Tim's restaurants, but a missing sign is a write-up-able offense at the one I worked at.  An unlabeled shelf/rack was Serious Business.  Even a broken sign was better than no sign at all.  Our one said "Ham & Cheese Biscuit" and I can see the "ham & " part breaking off, or the Ham & Cheese sign was junked and the "Cheese biscuit" one was used in its place, again to avoid the Armageddon that apparently happens at Tim's if a shelf isn't labeled.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

O'Dell

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2012, 11:24:49 PM »
95% of a conversation has nothing to do with the actual words used within.  It all comes down to tone and body language.  (One of the biggest reasons why I loathe the telephone and refuse, point-blank, to text.  I do email, but I'm very good at getting my point across just with words, thanks to repeated editing.)

Personally, I wouldn't bother with sending a letter--but I'm just a lazy so-and-so, and would rather just take my business elsewhere.
If it's a Tim's (and I'm only assuming this based on the rest of the thread) you can't throw a rock without hitting one in Ontario, so I'd just go to another one in future.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, Knitterly.  I hope you're feeling better now.  (If you've been on cold meds, you must have been ill.  Again, I'm assuming.)

The bolded in particular is how I feel about this. If you are inclined to complain to corporate, then feel free. It's your choice.

I also agree with the person way back in the thread (maybe not even this thread?) that said if the person isn't known to be a problem, she'll get some coaching and do a better job and it really won't be a big deal. If she's a problem, then a complaint letter can be added to the stack of known issues and the business might finally be able/willing to do something about her.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Fleur

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2012, 05:07:30 AM »

I'm not sure what your point is? I was under the impression that it was bad form to reply before reading through, especially if it was to chastize someone. You miss a lot of turns in conversation otherwise. I'm posting from my phone right now and have never had a problem going back to quote a post after I have read all of them.

I find it a little ironic that you respond to a post allegedly chasitising you (although I didn't see chastisment, just poiniting out that you were in error) with a rather hectoring tone.

sourwolf

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2012, 06:28:56 AM »

I find it a little ironic that you respond to a post allegedly chasitising you (although I didn't see chastisment, just poiniting out that you were in error) with a rather hectoring tone.
Yes well I don't make a habit of it.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »

Thank you.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2012, 02:07:49 PM »
Sparksals and sourwolf, if you can't kiss and make up, figuratively speaking, please, for everyone else's sake either take the crabbing off the forum or just stop it completely. Your choice.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Joeschmo

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »
I'm getting stuck on the rude employee interrupting a conversation she wasn't involved in statement. I would hope another employee would jump in if the one I was speaking with was confused and I would be really upset if I couldn't eat ham and ended up with a ham & cheese biscuit because an employee didn't want to interrupt.  I don't have an expectation of privacy when placing a fast food order and wouldn't consider the second employee to be interrupting.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2012, 02:52:51 PM »
I'm getting stuck on the rude employee interrupting a conversation she wasn't involved in statement. I would hope another employee would jump in if the one I was speaking with was confused and I would be really upset if I couldn't eat ham and ended up with a ham & cheese biscuit because an employee didn't want to interrupt.  I don't have an expectation of privacy when placing a fast food order and wouldn't consider the second employee to be interrupting.

She was the one in charge of getting the items from the display, she was probably waiting to see what it was that the OP wanted and hurry the transaction up with the 15 people now waiting behind her.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2012, 03:37:09 PM »

She was the one in charge of getting the items from the display, she was probably waiting to see what it was that the OP wanted and hurry the transaction up with the 15 people now waiting behind her.

This does not explain her nasty tone. Knitterly says she had a nasty tone and I am not inclined to tell her that her perception and judgment are incorrect.