General Etiquette > Life...in general

How was I supposed to know??

<< < (2/15) > >>

Deetee:
You could complain. It would be tricky because all you can complain about is the woman's tone and manner. Everything she said was perfectly reasonable.

I'm not trying to discount tone at all. Much of human interaction is based on tone and body language and the same sentence said in a different tone can make or break a mood. Consider "Did you make this? Wow!" directed toward a piece of baking. Enthusiasticly spoken while wolfing down the cake and reaching for a second piece with beaming smiles is the oppisite of a small bite and a wrinkled nose followed by a tone dripping with disdain.

Anyhow, what I'm trying to say is her words were reasonable. She wanted to make sure you got the correct item and that you knew what the item was as opposed to the broken sign. She likely needs to say this dozens of times a day and still gets people returning the biscuits.

So to complain you would need to pinpoint the specific person and complain about their attitude and tone only. Maybe they can moved to the back. Maybe they can be reprimanded. She simply does not sound like someone who can relate well to people as when she was trying to be clear, she was rude, but when she was trying to be sympathetic she was cloying. It doesn't sound like she is an actual jerk as she noticed that she had upset you and tried to change her tone. It was just ineffective.

Jelaza:
Write the letter.  If she had "just thought you should know" she would have started out with something like "I'm sorry for the confusion, they are actually cheese and ham biscuits but the sign broke."  And she would not have raised her voice or used a sharp tone.

Outdoor Girl:
I would write the letter to corporate.

The cashier should have know what stock they were displaying.  But if the person who interjected had said, 'I'm sorry, the sign is incorrect.  They are actually ham and cheese biscuits.  Would you still like one?', we wouldn't be reading this post right now.

Knitterly:

--- Quote from: Deetee on November 22, 2012, 02:14:55 PM ---You could complain. It would be tricky because all you can complain about is the woman's tone and manner. Everything she said was perfectly reasonable.

I'm not trying to discount tone at all. Much of human interaction is based on tone and body language and the same sentence said in a different tone can make or break a mood. Consider "Did you make this? Wow!" directed toward a piece of baking. Enthusiasticly spoken while wolfing down the cake and reaching for a second piece with beaming smiles is the oppisite of a small bite and a wrinkled nose followed by a tone dripping with disdain.

Anyhow, what I'm trying to say is her words were reasonable. She wanted to make sure you got the correct item and that you knew what the item was as opposed to the broken sign. She likely needs to say this dozens of times a day and still gets people returning the biscuits.

So to complain you would need to pinpoint the specific person and complain about their attitude and tone only. Maybe they can moved to the back. Maybe they can be reprimanded. She simply does not sound like someone who can relate well to people as when she was trying to be clear, she was rude, but when she was trying to be sympathetic she was cloying. It doesn't sound like she is an actual jerk as she noticed that she had upset you and tried to change her tone. It was just ineffective.

--- End quote ---
There's a very easy solution to her not having to repeat it, and that would be to grab a piece of paper and a sharpie and make a new sign.
I've seen it done often enough and it would certainly make their lives way easier.

The words were reasonable.  The tone was not. 

The words were only reasonable the first time, though.  She repeated it a second time after I confirmed that I still wanted the biscuit.  Both times the tone was just... awful. 

You know that tone that has an invisible "you moron!" at the end of it?  That was the tone.  It was said loudly and sharply.  It was a tone intended to scold.  Sometimes you know you are being scolded.  I was being scolded for ordering the wrong thing.  It was an angry, scolding tone.

I don't usually complain.  I just wasn't sure if I should or not, given that I can very easily avoid that location in the future.  I will, this afternoon, when I have composed my thoughts a little better.

MyFamily:

--- Quote from: Jelaza on November 22, 2012, 02:15:40 PM ---Write the letter.  If she had "just thought you should know" she would have started out with something like "I'm sorry for the confusion, they are actually cheese and ham biscuits but the sign broke."  And she would not have raised her voice or used a sharp tone.

--- End quote ---
POD to Jelaza.  Tone is very important in a transaction like this, and you were treated badly by her.  To those saying that the worker may have answered this question a dozen times today, then why didn't the cashier know about the problem and kept asking if the OP wanted a cheese croissant? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version