General Etiquette > Life...in general

How was I supposed to know??

<< < (15/15)

Moray:
Yes, there are some very rude people out there. However, the idea of someone putting so much venom into "It's a ham and cheese biscuit" that it would prompt tears in an average person...well, it's a little difficult to conceptualize. I'm sure we've all had days where little slights or inconveniences felt like slaps in the face, but that doesn't mean those little slights or inconveniences are slaps in the face, KWIM?

I'm not saying this to in any way invalidate the OP's trauma at the hands of a snarky employee, but DavidH has a very valid point: If a manager received a complaint that said "I was told the ingredients of my chosen breakfast sandwich in an aggressive manner.", they might not take it seriously.

TootsNYC:
I would take it seriously if the comment did *not* involve the "she even made me cry" comment.

If the comment said, "I was given the information in a really snotty and condescending tone of voice," I'd pay attention.

But yes, if the comment said, "It even made me cry," there would be a credibility loss.

So, keep the extreme drama out and stick to the "snotty tone of voice."

Fleur:

--- Quote from: Moray on November 26, 2012, 12:56:35 PM ---Yes, there are some very rude people out there. However, the idea of someone putting so much venom into "It's a ham and cheese biscuit" that it would prompt tears in an average person...well, it's a little difficult to conceptualize. I'm sure we've all had days where little slights or inconveniences felt like slaps in the face, but that doesn't mean those little slights or inconveniences are slaps in the face, KWIM?

I'm not saying this to in any way invalidate the OP's trauma at the hands of a snarky employee, but DavidH has a very valid point: If a manager received a complaint that said "I was told the ingredients of my chosen breakfast sandwich in an aggressive manner.", they might not take it seriously.
--- End quote ---

Well, of the email was as brief as the bolded, then maybe not. But if Knitterly wrote out the encounter in the detail which she wrote it to ehell, then I don't see why the manager shouldn't take it seriously. I didn't have a problem picturing the scene at all: tone really does make a huge difference. I also thought that DavidH's way of characterising Knitterly was rude-he could have made the same point, politely (as you did) without resorting to snark and insults.

LeveeWoman:
At that time, she was an average person but she was an average person who was sick and taking cold medicine which makes her more sensitive than she normally is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version