Author Topic: Quick bereavement question  (Read 1690 times)

Amasi

Quick bereavement question
« on: November 22, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »
How soon should I send flowers? This is a good friend who I want to support without being overbearing. Is the day after too soon? I should wait a couple of days?

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: Quick bereavement question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »
It depends- are you sending the flowers to your friend, or are you thinking of sending them to the funeral. If they are for your friend, then by all means send them as soon as you want to. If they are for the funeral, try to find out when it is, and then contact the funeral home. Also bear in mind it could be family flowers only, with donations to a favourite charity of the deceased.
NE England

Amasi

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »
Thanks, I was going to have them sent directly to him. My social phobia of course makes this seem monumentally complicated  ::)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 08:12:53 PM »
I believe you are safe to send the flowers as soon as you want.  It is a thoughtful gesture and I am sure your friend will appreciate it.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:38:50 PM »
There is really no reason to wait, unless you think that he could possibly be away for a long period each day - for example, at work, or running around making funeral/estate arrangements.

Overall, it's likely better to send the arrangement to his house rather than to the funeral home.  Of course many people do the latter, but as much as it's kindly meant, it makes all the more work for the survivors re transport.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 03:59:26 AM »
You don't need to wait. I usually send flowers as soon as I find out if at all possible.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

Salvage3

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »
My personal preference is not to send flowers to the house.  Plants are great, and I've been known to send them the very next day.  But having spent quite some time in houses literally overcome by the fragrances/fumes of many, many flowers --when already grieving --is the reason I changed to plants.  When flowers are sent to the funeral home or graveside, they can --at the discretion of the mourners --be left, donated or some other use made of them.