Author Topic: Thanksgiving Mishap  (Read 4665 times)

EmmaJ.

Thanksgiving Mishap
« on: November 22, 2012, 08:27:43 PM »
Not me, but my poor friend Tom.  He called a few minutes to tell me and I couldn’t wait to pass on the story.

He was invited to his sister’s home for Thanksgiving.  All his family was coming, each bringing a dish to share.  His sister had planned on setting up the food buffet style in the dining room.

As many of his relatives don’t care for turkey, Tom decided to splurge and get a nice HoneyBaked ham.  These are spiral-cut bone-in hams covered in a sugary glaze which is then torched to create a lovely sweet crunchy crust.  The hams look spectacular – here is a link to their site:  http://www.honeybaked.com/.  Also, they can be pretty pricey.  Tom spent over $70 for his ham.

His plan was to put the whole ham on a large platter with a serving fork.  But his sister objected and said that would cause too much trouble – that he should have taken the slices off and piled them on platter.  Tom explained the ham is pre-sliced and everyone could easily serve themselves.  Sister insisted on her way and took the ham into the kitchen.  Tom shrugged and began mingling with cousins.

Thirty minutes later, sister came out with a small platter of ham slices, all hacked into weird trapezoidal shapes.  She had carved off every smidgen of that fabulous glaze and tossed it out.  Tom did a double-take and sister became defensive and said, “Well no one likes that crust, I was just helping out.”

Oh my!  :o

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: Thanksgiving Mishap
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 08:32:49 PM »
Nooooooo!

Jones

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 09:52:39 PM »
A little piece of ham-lover inside me just died a little.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »
*weep*

That no-one would be me.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 10:38:43 PM »
That's not a 'mishap'! That's nearly sabotage!

Since Otterpup has her aunt under control, I think we have a new contender.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:45:16 PM by Luci45 »

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 10:42:50 PM »
Agree - sabotage not mishap. Just because she doesn't like the glaze she ruined it for the others and wasted a good portion of the ham doing it.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

AtraBecca

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 10:45:40 PM »
That was mildly amusing to me, because my family bought one of those hams too. But we're primal/paleo, so we never touch sugar and the pack of crust stuff went directly into the trash. :D However, what she did was just mean and wrong. That stuff sure is delicious, which is why we threw it out!

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 12:40:32 AM »
Anyone heard my heartattack over here?  Anyone?  I love love love Ham, and Honeybaked Ham is just divine and just... just... just...

Does not compute  ???

amylouky

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 01:05:24 AM »
I would probably cry. I LOVE that glaze, I wish they would just make candy out of it so I could buy just the crunchy glaze.

I'm wondering, though, if sis didn't intentionally sabotage the ham because she was upset that he brought it. Did sis make the turkey, and if so did she know that he was bringing a ham (essentially a second main dish)?

Not that that would be justified, of course. There is never a justification for mutilating a honeybaked ham like that.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 08:06:40 AM »
*moment of silence for the poor mutilated ham*

I am moved to share a similar meat tragedy from the 4th of July, as woefully told to me by Brother#2:

Brother#2 purchased (or was gifted with, can't remember) kobe beef hamburger patties.
Brother#3 was in charge of the grill.
Brother#3 placed kobe burgers on grill and proceeded to mash them down with the spatula. :o :o :'(
Brother#2 watched in horror as all premium beefy goodness dripped down onto the flaming charcoal.

I wish I could say Bro#2 took over from Bro#3 and saved the burgers...alas since he did not notice his siblings "technique" until all the meat was on the grill...he found himself putting a veritable hockey puck upon his bun. *SIGH*

OP, your friend has the sympathy of carnivores and omnivores everywhere.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

laceandbits

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 09:11:15 AM »
From the UK, I had to do a search to find out what a kobe burger was and why a barbecue was not the best way to cook it.  Discovered it should not be overcooked but just loved the information on an American site that "Due to the increasing demand for Kobe beef in the United States, Wagyu cattle are being bred with American breeds such as Angus (to give) "American Kobe" or "Kobe Style" beef" 

Excuse me, the Angus is a Scottish breed not an American one.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »

Excuse me, the Angus is a Scottish breed not an American one.
And we thank you very, very much for the gift.

By the way, Softly Spoken, I haven't seen anyone press burgers on the grill in over 40 years, thank goodness.

Oops! Sorry about participating in a threadjack!

To the ham!

EmmaJ.

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 10:09:09 AM »
That wasn't a threadjack Luci!  I was hoping to hear more mishaps.  :) And now I want a Kobe beef burger.

magicdomino

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »
That wasn't a threadjack Luci!  I was hoping to hear more mishaps.  :) And now I want a Kobe beef burger.

Kobe beef burger with a slice of Honeybaked ham.  Teriyaki sauce and pineapple optional.   :)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 10:38:26 AM »

Great! Apology retracted! I want to read more, too!