Author Topic: Thanksgiving Mishap  (Read 4801 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: Thanksgiving Mishap
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a chain wide thing, but my honeybaked store sells the bone for practically nothing.  I think I paid $5 for the last one and there was quite a bit of ham left on it.  It does make the best soup!

Ooooooo! That's good to know! I'll have to check out my local store.

Thanks!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »
That's awful! It definitely sounds like intentional sabotage to me, not just an oops. She didn't want to be upstaged, I guess? :(

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 04:48:24 PM »
Oh, wow. I was really upset when my mom threw away the innards of every sandwich when we got Erbert's and Gerbert's once for dinner (for those who don't know, they pull out the middle of the sandwich to make more room for the filling, but wrap the soft bread innards with the sandwich. It's my favorite part of the sandwich!) She said she thought they were just waste that nobody wanted. (Uh, if it was waste, they probably would have just tossed the innards at the store...) The extra eye-rolling part was that she had opened every sandwich and tossed every innard, like she had the executive decision about what was "waste" on everyone else's sandwich. I would have cried if it had been crispy ham bits rather than bread middles!
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 05:18:07 PM »
I can't help but be curious.  What was the reaction of those other guests who actually knew about Honey Baked Spiral Cut hams?  Did any of them protest?  I personally would have been in tears!!  :o ??? :-\ :'(

I'd have preferred it over turkey if I had been there, and I would probably have been willing to dive into the wastebasket to go after the discarded part myself!  No, I have no pride.  But I do love that ham and that luscious crustiness on the edges!

cheyne

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 08:10:12 PM »
Tom's sister can never be trusted again when it comes to hostessing.  If she asked for contributions, she needed to serve them as they came.  I feel for all the relatives that don't like turkey and would have loved some ham.  I feel for Tom, $70. wasted. 

It sounds like Sister has control issues.  I would never bring another thing to her home, and would not accept invites from her for a long time.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 08:57:08 PM »
My personal Thanksgiving tragedy, 2012 edition.

We were traveling many miles, and I am the baker in the family. My mother, sister, niece and several others made their annual request for my chocolate pecan pie, which, if I do say so, is spectacular. As we were leaving Wednesday morn at 11:00, I baked said pie Tuesday night and left it on the kitchen table to cool over night. Not the kitchen counter, mind you, but the table.

Came down Wednesday morn to find that a mouse had gone to town on the pie.  A very athletic, adventurous mouse. So instead of, oh, packing for my trip, 7:00 a.m. found me at the market buying ingredients for another pie - and 11:00 a.m. found me on a five-hour road trip with a hot pie on my lap.

Sigh.  And, for the first time in history, I was told it was overcooked. The mouse threw me off my game.

demarco

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »
My personal Thanksgiving tragedy, 2012 edition.

We were traveling many miles, and I am the baker in the family. My mother, sister, niece and several others made their annual request for my chocolate pecan pie, which, if I do say so, is spectacular. As we were leaving Wednesday morn at 11:00, I baked said pie Tuesday night and left it on the kitchen table to cool over night. Not the kitchen counter, mind you, but the table.

Came down Wednesday morn to find that a mouse had gone to town on the pie.  A very athletic, adventurous mouse. So instead of, oh, packing for my trip, 7:00 a.m. found me at the market buying ingredients for another pie - and 11:00 a.m. found me on a five-hour road trip with a hot pie on my lap.

Sigh.  And, for the first time in history, I was told it was overcooked. The mouse threw me off my game.

Are you sure it was a mouse and not someone trying to make it look like a mouse did it? 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 09:40:31 PM »
Are you sure it was a mouse and not someone trying to make it look like a mouse did it?

Shhhh!!! ... I really did a good job, didn't I?   >:D

*Gramma Dishes licks bits of chocolate covered pie crumbs from lower lip*