Author Topic: 'Tis The Season To Be A Bit Odd?  (Read 1916 times)

JustCallMePat

'Tis The Season To Be A Bit Odd?
« on: November 23, 2012, 09:26:35 AM »
Mom arrived for a Thansgiving visit.  I'm glad to see her, as is DD and DH.  She gave me some much-appreciated Starbucks cards, and for some reason brought DH an odd gift - a Three Stooges ceramic bank which had been carefully wrapped to carry on the plane with her.  (Now DH likes the Stooges as much as any guy but can't figure out what prompted this.) We're headed out today (Black Friday) as she wants to take DD shopping for some Christmas things. (Grandma likes to give gifts.)  Sitting and chatting with DH Wednesday night, Mom said to DH "I saw a commercial on TV for rifles and want to buy you one but lost the information, so go and pick one out, any cost, and I'll get it for you."  (Huh?  DH has several guns but never discusses it in front of DD.)  He just smiled and replied "OK, Mom, I'll look around and let you know."

Nothing says 'Merry Christmas' like a new assault rifle, eh?  Ho-ho-ho!

Mom also said she was having email problems which she discovered when something popped up on her screen telling her to call a certain number for help.  It cost her $200.  (SCAM!!!)  DH intervened with both the scamming company and Visa to get the charges reversed.

I think it's time to take her credit cards away before we're either 1) up to our ears in new guns; or 2) funding scammers worldwide.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: 'Tis The Season To Be A Bit Odd?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
If you don't want the gun, why not just tell her? I don't consider a rifle an odd gift, but I'm from Texas and have hunters in the family. I know lots of kids that received a hunting rifle or shotgun for a 13 yo birthday present. We gave Dad a shotgun for Christmas. (Now if she actually meant an assult rifle that is a different matter.)

Educate her about scams.

If she is going downhill mentally - you need to see a lawyer about protecting her. That is a mine field but has to be done to protect loved ones that are declining. (PSA everyone over 18 should think about this and have things set up incase something happens that leaves you unable to take care of things)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:56:49 AM »
I like your mom. Sounds like a great relationship. I hope you can keep her safe.

My mother-in-law used to wrap up all the junk people left at her house over the year and give it as Christmas gifts. She knew she was being silly, and I guess it was a PA of reminding people to get their stuff out of her house! She also hated shopping and choosing gifts, so didn't. I like that about her, actually.

(I assumed this is an invitation for others to post semi-odd but endearing behavior.)

snowfire

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 05:12:05 PM »
Nothing says 'Merry Christmas' like a new assault rifle, eh?  Ho-ho-ho!

Well, I got DH a shotgun for Christmas one year, and a friend gave us 100 hand loaded shotgun shells for our wedding so that wouldn't be totally out of line in our house.  ;D 

CakeEater

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

I mean, how many people can you assault at one time? 

This is a fantastic sentence!

I can see your mother being at a loss for gift ideas, and knowing that DH is into this particular thing, decides to buy him another. I'm completely bad at choosing presents, and it sounds like something I'd do.

That's why I'm attemping (and slowly succeeding) in convincing people not to buy me presents. Unnecessary junk that you don't like and now gives you a job in either storing or getting rid of it is no gift to me.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »
Tell your mom I would be more than happy to let her buy me a new rifle!  ;D

I kid, I kid! :p

BB-VA

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 09:08:39 PM »
  I mean, how many people can you assault at one time?  Does having more really make a difference? 

It probably depends on the rifle and the size of the clip.   

That said, I haven't touched a gun since I left home in 1973.  So what do I know, anyway?
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Iris

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 09:43:19 PM »

On the gun thing, DH already has several assault rifles and I asked him what he would do with another.  I mean, how many people can you assault at one time?  Does having more really make a difference? 

Funny, but I would file this in the same category as my DH having several guitars, pedals, amplifiers etc. I mean presumably your DH is not *actually* going to assault anyone, just like my DH is not going *actually* going to run off and join a touring rock band :)

It's a mystery to me but it seems to make him happy...
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Iris

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 09:47:58 PM »
On the subject of 'a bit odd' I once told my mother to 'surprise me' with a present. After being at her house for a few days I woke up Christmas morning to find a budgie* under the tree! I have never shown the least interest in owning a bird. She certainly succeeded in surprising me  ;D

*I should point out that my mother knows us well - my family is pretty laid back and a spontaneous pet was fine. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a present idea for everyone.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Soprych

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 04:17:11 AM »
If I were to make a guess, the commercial was probably for a Henry.  Henry rifles can be so expensive, the 100 year Boy Scout anniversary rifle was $1,500.00.  But they are gorgeous.  As important to some people a Henry rifle in 100% U.S.A. Manufactured of 100% U.S.A. parts.  Their .22 are not too bad in pricing.

Unfortunately Henry was damaged by Super Storm Sandy and are currently not in production.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »

DH enjoys shooting at the range.  He says the only other places he'll get to use them are if society completely melts down (less likely) or if the Zombie Apocalypse happens (more likely).  On a serious note is the value which seems to go up.  After a morning of shooting, he cleans them in the driveway and neighbors have noticed.  When he yells "Hey you kids get off of my lawn" you can sure bet that they listen!  ;D

Best post award! (And most positive! If Society Meltdown is less likely that the Zombie Apocalypse, I can use up the 38 cases of toilet paper stored.  :) )

magicdomino

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »

DH enjoys shooting at the range.  He says the only other places he'll get to use them are if society completely melts down (less likely) or if the Zombie Apocalypse happens (more likely).  On a serious note is the value which seems to go up.  After a morning of shooting, he cleans them in the driveway and neighbors have noticed. When he yells "Hey you kids get off of my lawn" you can sure bet that they listen! ;D

;D

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
My family tends to gift guns frequently.  Also crossbows, targets, once an entire box of clay pigions for target practice.

We are Southern >:D

Now for odd.  My mother once gifted me with a sweater from Banana Republic.  Not that odd right?  Except it was the same sweater she had bought me 2 weeks before and that I happened to be wearing when I unwrapped it.  I thought at first it was a mistake but she said "You said you loved that sweater so I thought you would like another one."  It was the same color and everything.
93 93/93