General Etiquette > Life...in general

The art of polite group conversation

<< < (3/3)

Deetee:
Random trick I have learned to break off a conversation is to interupt yourself.

It works quite well. You make a comment and keep talking and then partway through you cut yourself off and then excuse yourself to get punch/ask someone else what they think/say goodbye etc....

It doesn't feel as rude to interupt your conversation and gets you what you want.

(I actually read this as way to get off the phone is to hang up while you are talking but I have found that simply saying "Oh I have to run" while talking works quite well.)

Raintree:

--- Quote from: Deetee on November 25, 2012, 02:01:44 PM ---Random trick I have learned to break off a conversation is to interupt yourself.

It works quite well. You make a comment and keep talking and then partway through you cut yourself off and then excuse yourself to get punch/ask someone else what they think/say goodbye etc....

It doesn't feel as rude to interupt your conversation and gets you what you want.

(I actually read this as way to get off the phone is to hang up while you are talking but I have found that simply saying "Oh I have to run" while talking works quite well.)

--- End quote ---

Interesting angle. Maybe I'll try it.

lowspark:

--- Quote from: Raintree on November 24, 2012, 01:54:11 AM ---"Sorry, one sec, I just wanted to hear what Susie was saying about dogs..."

I don't know if that's polite, but if I was listening to Susie originally then it was PNTM that interrupted.

--- End quote ---

Yup, that's pretty much what I do. It does happen that side conversations get started. Heck, I might even be the one who started one. But then if the original conversation is continuing across the table and I want to join in again, I don't see anything wrong with saying so. It's just a natural dynamic of a large group situation.

Mikayla:

--- Quote from: Raintree on November 25, 2012, 04:02:03 AM ---I was thinking about this thread and realizing it seems to happen to me a lot. I know a couple of people in my social circle who are perfectly nice people, but I avoid sitting next to them in situations like this, because once they've turned to talk to me, they talk a mile a minute and it becomes next to impossible to break it off and join another conversation. It's normal for larger groups to break off into several sub-groups having conversations, but I'm talking about the people who talk a mile a minute about nothing and monopolize you for extended periods of time, when you kind of want to mingle with everyone present.

--- End quote ---

Same here.  And, for me anyway, the annoyance factor is that, while I stay polite, there's no doubt I'm also sending social cues.  For example, they might stop to take a breath and I'll toss out the flyaway version of "That's interesting..." and then immediately try to join the convo that interests me.

And then, I find myself as the person who won't shut up because I know the one sitting next to me is just waiting for that first pause to engage me in the convo that never ends.

I'm really having trouble lately with people who don't pick up on the obvious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version