Author Topic: Your parlour trick  (Read 6222 times)

miritree

Re: Your parlour trick
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »
I can touch my nose with my tongue. Without hands being involved. I have a long tongue. :)

POF

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2012, 07:35:12 PM »
I can clog dance.

I can recite In Flanders Fields

I can recite the Poems in Charlie and the Chocolate FActory .... Veruca Salt the ugly brute ...has JUST gone down the garbage shoot ...and as we very rightly thought.... that in a case like this we ought... to see the thing completely through.... we've polished off her parents too. ( and so on )

I can sing parts of Carmina Burana in Latin, and I can sign the Mass in Latin.

At T-Day - I am usually called upon to make gravy ... its as if I am Harry Potter when i show my SIL's ONCE MORE how to make gravy. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2012, 07:39:49 PM »

Me, too!  :)

I can stick out my tongue, rolled.  Not much of a trick, I grant you, since it is a genetic thing.  But it possibly relates to my next trick:

If the jello shooters are made in little cups, I can get the whole thing down and leave the cup almost perfectly clean in one go.  I can't even blame it on a misspent youth, since I've never been much of a drinker.  But it does make everyone laugh.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elisabunny

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2012, 07:58:51 PM »
Let's see- I can recite the alphabet backwards, and count on my fingers in binary.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2012, 08:12:24 PM »

Me, too!  :)

I can stick out my tongue, rolled.  Not much of a trick, I grant you, since it is a genetic thing.  But it possibly relates to my next trick:
If the jello shooters are made in little cups, I can get the whole thing down and leave the cup almost perfectly clean in one go.  I can't even blame it on a misspent youth, since I've never been much of a drinker.  But it does make everyone laugh.

Oh I know what I can do! I can make a clover with my tongue. And roll it into a taquito shape, and twist it around.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Jones

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2012, 08:17:22 PM »
I can "magnetize" two objects.

The assistant skeptic holds the two objects together, firmly. I make my voice hypnotic and tell them to focus on the objects, to imagine them melding together and becoming one. I describe the muscles in their arm pushing them together. I take a wand and pass it around the clenched fists and their pressed-together objects. With a whisper I remind the person doing the pushing that the objects are only plastic, that there's no way they could be magnetized...then with a WHOOP announce it is time to pull them apart.

The confused assistant is usually amazed at the feeling of magnetism that lasts, briefly, in the objects in their hands. The times they aren't I ask wisely "Well, what were you thinking of, instead of those XYZs?"

I've done it with Nativity figurines, large bottle caps, and hard plastic cups. It seems they have to be similar in size and mass.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2012, 08:20:18 PM »
I can clog dance.

I can recite the Poems in Charlie and the Chocolate FActory .... Veruca Salt the ugly brute ...has JUST gone down the garbage shoot ...and as we very rightly thought.... that in a case like this we ought... to see the thing completely through.... we've polished off her parents too. ( and so on )

At T-Day - I am usually called upon to make gravy ... its as if I am Harry Potter when i show my SIL's ONCE MORE how to make gravy.
Sign it or sing it?  Signing would be amazing to see, along with the choir singing.  I used to be able to sing the high mass in Latin and I still love it.  I can sing Ave maria in Latin, though.  I learned it phonetically by listening and singing  along with a record.  It is so beautiful! ( I don't think it's  parlour trick, though.)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:21:53 PM by Bijou »
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

POF

« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2012, 08:25:38 PM »
I can clog dance.

Sorry SING !   ( Obviously typing accurately IS NOT one of my parlour tricks ! )

Sign it or sing it?  Signing would be amazing to see, along with the choir singing.  I used to be able to sing the high mass in Latin and I still love it.  I can sing Ave maria in Latin, though.  I learned it phonetically by listening and singing  along with a record.  It is so beautiful! ( I don't think it's  parlour trick, though.)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2012, 08:30:32 PM »

I can do both of those, too. We'd be fun at a party!  ;D

GirlyGirl

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 10:09:12 PM »
I can touch my nose with my tongue. Without hands being involved. I have a long tongue. :)

Same here.  This earned me a childhood nickname of Lizard.

wx4caster

• Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
    • wx4caster's Crafty Albums
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 09:53:14 AM »
My elbows are double jointed, so I can stick my arms out and make them look like they're broken.

Like this  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4OaoEmvzg

My oldest DD can do that.  It is very disturbing to see.  If they ever film a horror movie in our area, she's a shoe-in as an extra.
The days are long but the years are short.

turtleIScream

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 10:02:11 AM »
I can juggle.

I can also tell you what day of the week at certain date is/was (i.e. if you were born August 5, 1967, I know that was a Saturday.) It takes me a bit longer now than it used to, but I still have a pretty good memory for dates.

nayberry

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 10:13:19 AM »
i also can drink a bottled alcoholic beverage without using my hands (dependant on my top and over shoulder boulder holder)  :P

i can also persuade a large number of people drinking beers that tea/coffee is better simply by drinking it at a party (no i don't know why)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »
I do origami, and it's amazing what a quickly folded paper flower or hat will do for the mood in a room. Made them with napkins, place mats, pages torn from phone books, leftover (relatively clean) hamburger wrappers - you name it.

I can spell Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious on command. And antidisestablishmentarianism. The two longest (imaginary and real) words I know. They both crack up youngish kids. Adults are mixed. Depends on how they feel about Mary Poppins.

I used to be able to quote "the Raven" Alas... nevermore. (I've forgotten most of it). Casey at the Bat too. Popped up and flew out of my mind. (and yes - I am excellent at literary and science puns - as long as I haven't had any dihydrogen monoxide, as that stuff can kill you!).

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 10:33:11 AM »
If I knew in advance that I would be asked to perform a parlor trick, I'd put a few things together before I left the house and do a Zombie Ball routine.

This always goes over well with young children.  Older people who remember the trick from the 'Ed Sullivan Show' also appreciate it.