Author Topic: Your parlour trick  (Read 6655 times)

emwithme

Re: Your parlour trick
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 11:32:59 AM »
I know all the words to:

The theme tune from "Fresh Prince of Bel Air"
The Um Bongo advert
The Toys R Us advert

And don't mind sharing them at all. 

sunnygirl

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2012, 06:51:53 AM »
My best friend makes origami dinosaurs. I have one on my bookcase.

I am fairly double jointed, in some places -- I can turn my left foot around so it is facing almost completely backwards. But only the left foot.
I also have very flexible hips. There's this yoga posture where you sit on your bottom with your knees bent on either side (so the soles of your feet are facing the ceiling), and then lie down till you're flat on your back without moving your lower body. I was randomly demonstrating some yoga postures at work once and I was the only person who could do it.

Oh, and I can recite the whole of The Raven.

heyyoume

« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2012, 04:25:32 AM »
I have a few:  I can step through an A4 piece of paper, press so hard when rolling two banknotes together that I can roll one right through the other, recite more tongue twisters than anyone else can remember, and do a really really bad card trick. 

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2012, 04:57:04 AM »
Oh, and I can recite the whole of The Raven.

That's my trick, too!

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2012, 06:25:15 AM »
I can recite Frere Jacques in five languages : French, Spanish, German English, and Latin.  ::)

nayberry

« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 11:00:31 AM »
I know all the words to:

The theme tune from "Fresh Prince of Bel Air"

The Um Bongo advert
The Toys R Us advert

And don't mind sharing them at all.

cuss it all to tarnation now i'm singing it!!

emwithme

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 04:09:18 PM »
I did say I didn't mind sharing it  ;) :P 8)

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 06:44:44 PM »
I can recite the Pledge of Allegiance in Latin.

My dad used to light up a cigarette and the bus would come. I used to go out to smoke as a way of making the food come at a restaurant if service was slow/we were impatient. We used to call it my "parlor trick." Didn't always work, though, and I've since given up smoking.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

JoW

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 08:46:25 PM »
I can pull a loop of string though my neck. 

I have a Science Fun with Dry Ice presentation that I can do with just an hour notice, provided my dry ice supplyer is open.  That can entertain up to 15 kids age 5-15 for over an hour. 

emwithme

« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2012, 04:37:27 PM »
I can pull a loop of string though my neck. 

I have a Science Fun with Dry Ice presentation that I can do with just an hour notice, provided my dry ice supplyer is open.  That can entertain up to 15 kids age 5-15 for over an hour.

And quite probably lots of adults.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2012, 06:34:42 PM »
I can tear in half a phone book of just about any size given that I can grip it tightly in my hands (so about 2" is the max).

I entertain children by doing a Tarzan "call".

I can cross just one eye at a time with both eyes; sometimes I will "slap" myself to just the straight eye crooked and the crooked eye straight...so I go from:

\ |    to     | /
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

finecabernet

« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2012, 10:04:57 PM »
Not sure if this counts, but I can double-cross my legs and my arms. Always seemed natural to me but the double crossing my arms once took a yoga instructor by surprise.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 10:06:59 PM »
I have an amazing memory for factoids (actually, for just about anything written), so my friends mostly treat me as a walking Wikipedia. My usual parlor trick is having someone go "Hey, Kendo, what's...?"

I also know a few others, like if you put your hand on top of your head, it can not be moved off by pushing up on your arm. I love teaching that one to small children, who will be lifted off the ground, or that the ring finger can not tap if the middle finger is pressed onto a table. I'm also a super-smeller, so I can tell scent profiles and ingredients very, very well.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 10:42:03 PM »
I have an amazing memory for factoids (actually, for just about anything written), so my friends mostly treat me as a walking Wikipedia. My usual parlor trick is having someone go "Hey, Kendo, what's...?"

I also know a few others, like if you put your hand on top of your head, it can not be moved off by pushing up on your arm. I love teaching that one to small children, who will be lifted off the ground, or that the ring finger can not tap if the middle finger is pressed onto a table. I'm also a super-smeller, so I can tell scent profiles and ingredients very, very well.

Can you explain the finger tapping one, please?  I can tap my ring finger even if I press down on my middle finger with my other hand...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Bethczar

« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:44 PM »
My elbows are double jointed, so I can stick my arms out and make them look like they're broken.

Like this  http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MV4OaoEmvzg
Me, too! It freaks people out.