Author Topic: Do you have a rice cooker?  (Read 1593 times)

Vall

Re: Do you have a rice cooker?
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 12:15:59 AM »
I really appreciate all of the answers!  It's given me a lot to consider.  I'm intrigued by the ones with fuzzy logic.  I want something really nice for DH but that won't break the budget.  If it doesn't work really easily and good, he'll smile and thank me but put it away after a several unsuccessful attempts at using it.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 07:41:23 AM »
I, too, follow Alton Brown's teachings of only multitasking tools in the kitchen, however, I  paid $10 for one on clearance at Aldo's several years ago. Works fine. I make brown rice in it most of the time. I will try the suggestion of rinsing it ahead of time to avoid sticking. When this one shoots craps, I will buy another one.

veryfluffy

« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »
I cook rice a completely different way from everyone here, and it works fine every time. I use "easy cook" long grain white rice -- which I understand is processed by partially boiling it with the husks on. I put it in a large saucepan, fill up with water, and bring to the boil. Then let it simmer for 12 minutes. In the meantime, I boil some fresh water in the kettle. When the timer goes, I strain the rice and rinse it with the freshly boiled water. Yummy fluffy rice every time.

perpetua

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2014, 10:21:00 AM »
I cook rice a completely different way from everyone here, and it works fine every time. I use "easy cook" long grain white rice -- which I understand is processed by partially boiling it with the husks on. I put it in a large saucepan, fill up with water, and bring to the boil. Then let it simmer for 12 minutes. In the meantime, I boil some fresh water in the kettle. When the timer goes, I strain the rice and rinse it with the freshly boiled water. Yummy fluffy rice every time.

That's exactly how I did it before my friend taught me the other method and I never had any issues with it either. I never measured the rice to water ratio, I just filled the pan up and then drained off what wasn't needed. Like boiling potatoes. I've seen so many people here saying that cooking rice is hard that I'm wondering if the rice we can buy is different somehow.

Promise

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »
My rice cooker was the best unasked for gift I've ever received. I didn't know that rice could be lump free and lovely. I use it to make big batches and freeze it in smaller 2-person portions.

SoCalVal

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »
I also try to avoid single-purpose appliances, but I think something that gets used at least 3 or 4 times each week stops being single-purpose, at least in a looser definition of the word. I mean, I have an electric kettle, too, which only ever boils water. But I use it to boil water at least once a day, so at this point, not having it would be kind of like not having a sink or something. For my husband, I think the rice cooker falls into the same category.

Pod.  Every Asian person I know either grew up with a rice cooker, has a rice cooker or both.  I've had several since the first one I bought for myself back in 1995 (5.5-cup Hitachi from Fedco; I bought the mini version of the one that my parents had); in fact, I think it was the first kitchen appliance I bought for myself when I moved out.  I couldn't imagine not having a rice cooker.  I remember Alton Brown's stance on single-purpose appliances but, of all the kitchen appliances I have, the rice cooker gets the most use (so I never agreed with him on this particular stance but, I'm thinking, a rice cooker for him does not get nearly the use it does in a lot of Asian households).  To me, cooking rice with a rice cooker is like using a crock pot -- I can turn it on and leave the house without having to worry about it being on without supervision.  There's no way you could do that safely with something on the stovetop or in the oven (not as far as I know).

I almost never cook white rice these days; DH and I have been eating mostly brown rice for the past 3-4 years.  I haven't had to adjust at all for cooking brown rice.  The rice cooker has a brown rice button and a white rice button, among others, but it cooks to the consistency I want at white rice (which is good because if it had to cook longer for brown rice, then brown rice would get mushy).

I used to assume this, but I know not everyone knows that, just like with other crops, there are many different rice grains and types.  I've read posters talking about making fluffy rice but, if you grew up like I did, you grew up on the glutinous short-grain rice ("fluffy" white rice is often long-grain or, even, some medium-grain, but not short-grain).  I'll use different rice types depending on what I am cooking but will still use the rice cooker to cook the rice (if I'm making one type of fried rice, I will go with long grain because it has that drier consistency I need; if I make another type of fried rice, I go with short- or medium-grain because it conveys the flavor and mouth-feel I am seeking).  I used to not like straight brown short- or medium-grain rice and would mix it with white short- or medium-grain rice to get the healthier benefit of brown with a bit of the taste and consistency of the white (actually, I used to mix four rice and grain types in equal ratios -- short-grain white, medium-grain white, short-grain brown, medium-grain brown).  Nowadays, I go with a 2:5 ratio of Gen Ji Mai (one type of short-grain brown) to medium-grain brown and set the rice cooker on the regular white rice setting.  The rice comes out perfectly fine.

squeakers

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2014, 06:09:44 PM »
I love my rice cooker.  It does do that sticking to the bottom if I let it go until it hits the shut-off/warmer part.  But I can tell by the smell when the rice is done and just shut it off.

The other day I cooked white rice and wild rice with just a touch of butter. Delicious!

I have also used it to do potatoes (whole tiny ones), threw frozen veggies on top of the rice which flavors the rice subtly, and I tried doing pasta once but forgot about the sticky bottom problem and that was quite a mess to clean up.

I find that we eat a lot more rice now.  Before the ricer I only used instant rice and my DH disliked the texture and taste.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

Bluenomi

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 11:18:23 PM »
Love my rice cooker, worth the cupboard space. I love doing risottos in it, no stirring required. I love the fact you don't need to adjust for different types of white rice, it works it out.

Dr. F.

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 11:35:18 PM »
I haven't read all of the responses, but I LOOOOVE my InstantPot. It's an automatic rice cooker and pressure cooker. It'll come up to pressure and hold it until the rice is cooked. It'll also work as a crock pot. It's awesome.

SoCalVal

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 11:53:37 PM »
I guess the bottom line is, if you think you will get a lot of use out of what usually serves as a single-purpose appliance, then buy a rice cooker (you can get a small, inexpensive one for $15-20).  If not, the standard stovetop method of cooking rice might suffice.  I've loved my rice cookers and couldn't imagine not having one.

jmarvellous

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2014, 10:52:44 AM »
I cook rice on the stovetop 1-3 times per week. I've never been dissatisfied. I don't think a rice cooker will ever be on our radar.

cheyne

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2014, 02:16:17 PM »
Yes, I have a Zojirushi that I bought in 1988 when I was stationed in Japan.  It still works fine.  Love it for making perfect rice every time.