Author Topic: Giving PA people what they "want" (Stories!) UPDATE P27  (Read 130252 times)

SoCalVal

Re: Giving PA people what they "want" (Stories!) UPDATE P27
« Reply #615 on: January 26, 2014, 06:27:12 PM »

I get that Mr. Dom Perignon probably shouldn't have dragged the manager into an argument over 25 cents, but at the same time, if someone is spending $200 on wings, it seems a little short-sighted to haggle with someone over 1/800th of their bill and causing ill will. It seems penny-wise and pound-foolish.

I don't agree- either the waitress COULD comp it, and was being short-sighted in offending a customer who was paying $200 for his dinner (in which case her manager SHOULD know about it), or she wasn't able to comp it, in which case asking her manager to do so conveyed the customer's displeasure with the restaurant's policy.
I don't think it's PA to ask to speak to a manager if an employee cannot or will not provide a reasonable server, because what's the alternative? Not allowing the business to know why you were dissatisfied, and may not return?

I don't think it was PA, either and didn't understand why the server didn't just go to her manager to see if it would be okay (and she could've told the guy, "Usually, it's an extra 25 cents but let me check with my manager if we could comp it this time).  I would've likely gone farther than he did and said to her, "I'm spending $200 for my meal, but you're telling me I have to spend an additional 25 cents for blue cheese dressing???  Could you please check with your manager on this?"  Hell, given the tip she could reasonably expect to get for good service on a $200 meal, you'd think it would've occurred to her pay the 25 cents herself for the blue cheese dressing for a tip that could've been $30 for her on his meal alone.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #616 on: January 26, 2014, 06:32:01 PM »

I get that Mr. Dom Perignon probably shouldn't have dragged the manager into an argument over 25 cents, but at the same time, if someone is spending $200 on wings, it seems a little short-sighted to haggle with someone over 1/800th of their bill and causing ill will. It seems penny-wise and pound-foolish.

I don't agree- either the waitress COULD comp it, and was being short-sighted in offending a customer who was paying $200 for his dinner (in which case her manager SHOULD know about it), or she wasn't able to comp it, in which case asking her manager to do so conveyed the customer's displeasure with the restaurant's policy.
I don't think it's PA to ask to speak to a manager if an employee cannot or will not provide a reasonable server, because what's the alternative? Not allowing the business to know why you were dissatisfied, and may not return?

I don't think it was PA, either and didn't understand why the server didn't just go to her manager to see if it would be okay (and she could've told the guy, "Usually, it's an extra 25 cents but let me check with my manager if we could comp it this time).  I would've likely gone farther than he did and said to her, "I'm spending $200 for my meal, but you're telling me I have to spend an additional 25 cents for blue cheese dressing???  Could you please check with your manager on this?"  Hell, given the tip she could reasonably expect to get for good service on a $200 meal, you'd think it would've occurred to her pay the 25 cents herself for the blue cheese dressing for a tip that could've been $30 for her on his meal alone.

It has been rare, but when it has happened that a waiter in a restaurant said that I'd be charged for some petty thing like more dressing, it has come out of their tip.  I will usually use the white area of the slip to calculate the reduced tip. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #617 on: January 26, 2014, 07:01:11 PM »
Maybe it's because I work in customer service and deal with this all day long, but I never feel I'm owed anything for free just because I'm spending a lot of money.  If sauce is 25 cents, then that's the restaurant's price and I will pay it.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #618 on: January 26, 2014, 07:05:10 PM »
It has been rare, but when it has happened that a waiter in a restaurant said that I'd be charged for some petty thing like more dressing, it has come out of their tip.  I will usually use the white area of the slip to calculate the reduced tip.

Given that enforcing payment for 'petty' things like that is almost always a management decision and not within the waiter's discretion, that seems kind of cruel. I read a couple of forums where people in service positions have posted about being stuck in the middle between inflexible management ("yes they have to pay, it comes out of our bottom line, if you come to me to ask if I'll comp it I'll do it so I don't look bad but then I'll take it out on you") and annoyed customers ("it's only 25 cents, why can't you give it to me for free, okay then your tip is going to suffer because I consider this to be horrible service").
"Set aphasia to stun!"

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #619 on: January 26, 2014, 07:15:19 PM »
Maybe it's because I work in customer service and deal with this all day long, but I never feel I'm owed anything for free just because I'm spending a lot of money.  If sauce is 25 cents, then that's the restaurant's price and I will pay it.

I agree. If I think it's ridiculous to be charged for a little bit of extra sauce (and I do) I'll choose not to go back. I wouldn't take it out on the wait staff. They don't set the policy, they're just the ones stuck enforcing it.  :-\

Tosca

« Reply #620 on: January 26, 2014, 08:39:18 PM »
My mother isn't PA, but early in her marriage to my father, she tried using hints.  My father is an Australian farmer and simply doesn't do hints.

Their farmhouse had an outside toilet.  As it was in the middle of nowhere, he didn't bother putting a door on it.  My mother objected to this, so he took a piece of tin that had been used to mix cement, and put that up with some wire hinges.

Mum had wanted a proper door, but tried to hint for one rather than ask outright.  She began saying that she was "tired" of looking at the cement on the inside of the tin when using the toilet.

Eager to oblige his new wife, Dad turned the piece of tin around so the cement was now on the outside.

Mum asked for (and got) a proper door, and learned not to hint for things with Dad.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #621 on: January 26, 2014, 08:43:58 PM »
But I remember many years ago, my DH's grandparents announced they'd went to Hooters for lunch. I was surprised and asked them what they thought of the place. Grandma said, "Well the food was okay...but I don't think we'll be going back."

I asked, "Why?"

Grandma thought about it and said, "It was too loud." ;D

LOL! Reminds me of the time my family went to Vegas when my brother & were little kids, so early 80's. We were walking the strip when we passed by a sign advertising "Nudes on Ice" i.e. nude ladies ice skating.

My brother wanted to know what it was and after my parents explained it to him asked, "but won't they get cold?"  ;D

I'm 36 and that would probably be my first remark too.  ;D But then when I heard of nude aerobics, my first thought was "Ow! Don't you at least want a sports bra?"  ;D ;D ;D ;D

There's nude aerobics? Ouchy!

Well, I'm pretty sure it's more a novelty/stunt than a serious exercise video, but it does exist.

Jocelyn

« Reply #622 on: January 26, 2014, 09:33:59 PM »

I agree. If I think it's ridiculous to be charged for a little bit of extra sauce (and I do) I'll choose not to go back. I wouldn't take it out on the wait staff. They don't set the policy, they're just the ones stuck enforcing it.  :-\
I wouldn't penalize the server...but I think the management deserves to know if there's anything going on in their restaurant that would deter customers from returning.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #623 on: January 26, 2014, 10:48:46 PM »

POD. I've seen people get irate over having to pay 25 cents for a kiddie cup at the theater (a normal size drink can range from 4 - 5 bucks), and I just think, "Why? Why are you getting nasty at a green kid who's only following the rules?" If you don't want to patronize a store like that, fine. You're certainly free to take your business elsewhere. But, getting nasty about - SHOCKER - having to pay for a cup (with or without a drink in) at a business is facepalm - worthy, at best.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #624 on: January 27, 2014, 12:46:51 AM »

I don't work in customer service, but I agree. It seems awfully entitled to expect to be comped.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #625 on: January 27, 2014, 08:36:23 AM »

I don't work in customer service, but I agree. It seems awfully entitled to expect to be comped.

But as the waitress in that scenario, if I wasn't allowed to comp, I would have paid the quarter out of my own pocket, hoping that I would be getting a larger tip, considering the $200 order.  But by mentioning it, all I did was piss off the customer.

Sure, the tip may never materialize but I have a higher chance of getting it if I say, 'No problem!' than if I say, 'That will be an extra 25 cents.'
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #626 on: January 27, 2014, 09:02:03 AM »

I have to disagree; the server doesn't set the policy, management or corporate does, and its entirely possible that a server could lose their job over something like this, even for such a small amount.

I'd either decline whatever it was I was asking for that I'd be charged for, or pay it. I don't know that I'd even bring it up with management or corporate. 25 cents isn't enough to make it worth my while.

deadbody

« Reply #627 on: January 27, 2014, 09:03:21 AM »
In the wing scenario (or any sauce scenario in general) if the extra charge for sauce is on the menu (it wasn't at hooters at this time) I will pay it and not argue, but if there is no extra charge on the menu, and it is something that is expected to come with the meal (bleu cheese with wings, catsup with burgers/fries etc..) then I can and will expect it to be provided at no additional charge.  If you choose not to do this as an establishment I will complain to the waitstaff and manager, and I will stop going to your business in all likelihood.  Will I take it out of the tip, yeah probably.  Is that fair to the waitstaff? Maybe not, but I can't take it out of the managers check, and this is a way for me to show displeasure.

Somewhat related story with a very different result, McDonalds many years ago added a charge for sauces/additional sauces depending on what you ordered.  I like my cheap high in fat fries with bar-b-que sauce, so I always asked for it.  One of the first days the extra charge thing went into effect I placed my order, and the poor kid behind the counter couldn't figure out how to add the 25 cents.  So he called his manager over, who also couldn't, and told me that they have not yet had someone willing to pay the charge, so could I please refuse to pay it so they could comp me the sauce.  I pulled myself up to my most indignant height and with a large smile on my face (in an empty restaurant so it wasn't wasting anyone elses time or effort) stated that I have never paid for extra sauce and wasn't going to now.  The Manager said "I understand your frustration sir and I'll take care of that for you today."  We all laughed.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #628 on: January 27, 2014, 09:11:57 AM »
In the wing scenario (or any sauce scenario in general) if the extra charge for sauce is on the menu (it wasn't at hooters at this time) I will pay it and not argue, but if there is no extra charge on the menu, and it is something that is expected to come with the meal (bleu cheese with wings, catsup with burgers/fries etc..) then I can and will expect it to be provided at no additional charge.  If you choose not to do this as an establishment I will complain to the waitstaff and manager, and I will stop going to your business in all likelihood.  Will I take it out of the tip, yeah probably.  Is that fair to the waitstaff? Maybe not, but I can't take it out of the managers check, and this is a way for me to show displeasure.

I know in the local place I go to, depending on how many you order, you get so much blue dressing etc. per order, and they state up front, any extra will be x charge. So while it does come with your meal, if you want more, you'll pay for it.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #629 on: January 27, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »

But as the waitress in that scenario, if I wasn't allowed to comp, I would have paid the quarter out of my own pocket, hoping that I would be getting a larger tip, considering the $200 order.  But by mentioning it, all I did was piss off the customer.

Sure, the tip may never materialize but I have a higher chance of getting it if I say, 'No problem!' than if I say, 'That will be an extra 25 cents.'

Oh, absolutely. But that is your decision as a server. I find it entitled of a customer to say "I expect to get this for free because I'm such a special customer, and it will influence the tip I give you if you can't or won't do that".

As a server, I'd probably do the same as you. As a customer, I'd be ashamed to complain about it. Sounds too SSy for me.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice