Author Topic: Giving PA people what they "want" (Stories!) UPDATE P27  (Read 120331 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: Giving PA people what they "want" (Stories!) UPDATE P27
« Reply #630 on: January 27, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »
Maybe it's because I work in customer service and deal with this all day long, but I never feel I'm owed anything for free just because I'm spending a lot of money.  If sauce is 25 cents, then that's the restaurant's price and I will pay it.

I don't work in customer service, but I agree. It seems awfully entitled to expect to be comped.

But as the waitress in that scenario, if I wasn't allowed to comp, I would have paid the quarter out of my own pocket, hoping that I would be getting a larger tip, considering the $200 order.  But by mentioning it, all I did was piss off the customer.

Sure, the tip may never materialize but I have a higher chance of getting it if I say, 'No problem!' than if I say, 'That will be an extra 25 cents.'

Oh, absolutely. But that is your decision as a server. I find it entitled of a customer to say "I expect to get this for free because I'm such a special customer, and it will influence the tip I give you if you can't or won't do that".

As a server, I'd probably do the same as you. As a customer, I'd be ashamed to complain about it. Sounds too SSy for me.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #631 on: January 27, 2014, 09:19:10 AM »
I'd never spend that much on a meal out, in all likelihood, but if I was the customer, spending that kind of money, and the server told me it would be an extra 25 cents, I'd probably come out with, 'Seriously?  You want to charge me an extra 25 cents when I'm spending $200?  Fine.  Bring me the sauce I want.'  I wouldn't demand to be comped but I would expect it, in that case.  I wouldn't make (any more of) a fuss and I'd pay the extra charge, without any further comment but it would affect whether or not I'd come back to that restaurant again.  Especially if the charge was not listed on the menu.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #632 on: January 27, 2014, 09:29:43 AM »
I went out to a steak place last week (group party - ladies only). Background - party room set up for 40; some 35 or 36 had phoned in a "yes" for their RSVP; and two extra place settings (that I saw) were added when extra people started showing up.  It was not hosted - the person setting things up had made the reservation ONLY, we ordered off the menu, and  I ordered my meal with onion rings.  In Texas (well, the American South & Southwest), you expect to find tomato catsup or some other sauce for onion rings on the table or in a small container on the plate - even if it is little plastic pouches to be torn open at a fast food place.

They looked fabulous - large slices of real onion, separated into rings, dipped in seasoned batter, and fried just right...but....no catsup on the plate.  No catsup on the table (bottle, jar, ramekin, carafe, or plastic pouches in a container).

I asked the waiter at least three times for catsup.  Finally walked out of the private party room to the bar to ask for catsup.  I found out that they don't have catsup bottles in the dining areas, they serve it in ramekins from the kitchen, the bar tender explained this like bottles of catsup were lower class service...well, maybe it is, but you have some catsup while your onion rings are HOT!

Finally got ONE small metal container, about half full, dropped off by one of the two waiters assigned to our group.  It was enough for 2/3 of the onion rings, if I skimped on the catsup.  Half if I'd dipped them "properly".  They were still "warm" but no longer hot.  I don't usually plan to eat my onion rings as dessert - but without catsup...I waited to eat them.

Never got a refill on the catsup.  Ate the last two  They were handling the tea & water by dropping off wine carafes with water in them and keeping the carafes replaced,, as needed. 

Still tipped $4 on a $14 bill (drank water so I could sleep before 2 am - no caffeine with my evening meal) - but had been thinking of $5 (because I had a $5 bill on me).  Instead I added the $4 to the tip line and charged it.  Not a huge difference.  But I'm still wondering why I was brought a plate with onion rings on it that did not have a small container of catsup already on the danged plate?

And remembering why I don't go to this place for lunch on my own, just when I'm going to a party with the ladies in the group. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

alkira6

« Reply #633 on: January 27, 2014, 10:36:25 AM »
I went out to a steak place last week (group party - ladies only). Background - party room set up for 40; some 35 or 36 had phoned in a "yes" for their RSVP; and two extra place settings (that I saw) were added when extra people started showing up.  It was not hosted - the person setting things up had made the reservation ONLY, we ordered off the menu, and  I ordered my meal with onion rings.  In Texas (well, the American South & Southwest), you expect to find tomato catsup or some other sauce for onion rings on the table or in a small container on the plate - even if it is little plastic pouches to be torn open at a fast food place.

They looked fabulous - large slices of real onion, separated into rings, dipped in seasoned batter, and fried just right...but....no catsup on the plate.  No catsup on the table (bottle, jar, ramekin, carafe, or plastic pouches in a container).

I asked the waiter at least three times for catsup.  Finally walked out of the private party room to the bar to ask for catsup.  I found out that they don't have catsup bottles in the dining areas, they serve it in ramekins from the kitchen, the bar tender explained this like bottles of catsup were lower class service...well, maybe it is, but you have some catsup while your onion rings are HOT!

Finally got ONE small metal container, about half full, dropped off by one of the two waiters assigned to our group.  It was enough for 2/3 of the onion rings, if I skimped on the catsup.  Half if I'd dipped them "properly".  They were still "warm" but no longer hot.  I don't usually plan to eat my onion rings as dessert - but without catsup...I waited to eat them.

Never got a refill on the catsup.  Ate the last two  They were handling the tea & water by dropping off wine carafes with water in them and keeping the carafes replaced,, as needed. 

Still tipped $4 on a $14 bill (drank water so I could sleep before 2 am - no caffeine with my evening meal) - but had been thinking of $5 (because I had a $5 bill on me).  Instead I added the $4 to the tip line and charged it.  Not a huge difference.  But I'm still wondering why I was brought a plate with onion rings on it that did not have a small container of catsup already on the danged plate?

And remembering why I don't go to this place for lunch on my own, just when I'm going to a party with the ladies in the group.

The bolded is why the tip would have been about a dollar. I shouldn't have to not only ask for something repeatedly and then still have to get it myself.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #634 on: January 27, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »

This is similar to the typical example I was thinking of when I would ding the tip.  Except imagine if you ordered those fries and it came automatically with a paltry amount of ketchup, and you asked for more and they said that there would be a charge for it.  I would only ding the tip if I were charged for something that I would expect to come in sufficient quantity in my original order. 

I've worked as a waiter.  Those things are available to the waitstaff.   In fact, I think this was entirely your waiters fault.  Sometimes the kitchen will plate the things that come in ramekins, sometimes it is expected that the waitstaff do it, but either way it is the waiters responsibility to make sure it is done.  They just totally dropped the ball. 

Jocelyn

« Reply #635 on: January 27, 2014, 11:23:52 AM »
  Will I take it out of the tip, yeah probably.  Is that fair to the waitstaff? Maybe not, but I can't take it out of the managers check, and this is a way for me to show displeasure.
Taking out displeasure on someone who lacks the power to remedy that displeasure? I don't think that should be E-Hell approved. I walked on a restaurant where a waitress gave me very poor service- I actually had to get up to go attract her attention to get me a refill, after having waited for quite some time, so that I was unable to continue eating without any liquid. She was standing in the middle of the restaurant, but would not respond to my waves, or even me holding my empty glass up. As I left, I mentioned to the manager that I would probably not be back due to the poor service I had received. Instead of apologizing and assuring me she'd rectify the situation, she shrugged and giggled, as if it were no concern of hers whether customers got good service or not. And THAT was why I haven't been back, although I liked their food. She could have made it right, she chose not to.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #636 on: January 27, 2014, 12:04:25 PM »
  Will I take it out of the tip, yeah probably.  Is that fair to the waitstaff? Maybe not, but I can't take it out of the managers check, and this is a way for me to show displeasure.
Taking out displeasure on someone who lacks the power to remedy that displeasure? I don't think that should be E-Hell approved.

Sometimes it's necessary, though.  Large companies are very good at setting up the complaint system so you have to be firm with someone relatively innocent of the problem before you actually get your complaint listened to - I would put "arguing with the front-line customer service rep" and "complaining to the waitstaff" both as part of this.  Usually there's a way to be assertive but not aggressive, but not always - sometimes it takes raising your voice and not backing down to be allowed to direct your complaint to someone who could actually do something about it.  It's all well and good to say "it's not the server's fault," but in the long run (the very long run), if enough people reduce their tips by a quarter for having to pay for sauce, the good servers will make a corresponding amount less in tips and will be more likely to work somewhere else.  It does hurt the restaurant, just a little tiny bit and spread out way down the line.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #637 on: January 27, 2014, 12:14:48 PM »
...the good servers will make a corresponding amount less in tips and will be more likely to work somewhere else.  It does hurt the restaurant, just a little tiny bit and spread out way down the line.

I know of a restaurant that actually closed because they couldn't keep good waitstaff.  Due to various reasons, the restaurant should have been a cash printing machine.  But the manager was a jerk, and the good people did not stay.  I remember one time we could see our food on the heating tray waiting for the waiter to deliver the food to us.  We waited so long, that I actually went into the kitchen and got our food myself.  We were a large table, and I actually had fun with it laying the fancy service on thick.  We went every week because we were willing to tolerate the bad service because everything else was perfect for our needs (mainly the excellent pint of beer for $1)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #638 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »
In any of the cases upthread? Those would have resulted in a call to the owners (single location) or district managers (chain) the next business day. There is very little a server can do about charges listed on the menu. I don't give them a hard time.

MrTango

« Reply #639 on: January 27, 2014, 01:30:03 PM »
Taking out displeasure on someone who lacks the power to remedy that displeasure? I don't think that should be E-Hell approved.

Sometimes it's necessary, though.  Large companies are very good at setting up the complaint system so you have to be firm with someone relatively innocent of the problem before you actually get your complaint listened to - I would put "arguing with the front-line customer service rep" and "complaining to the waitstaff" both as part of this.  Usually there's a way to be assertive but not aggressive, but not always - sometimes it takes raising your voice and not backing down to be allowed to direct your complaint to someone who could actually do something about it.  It's all well and good to say "it's not the server's fault," but in the long run (the very long run), if enough people reduce their tips by a quarter for having to pay for sauce, the good servers will make a corresponding amount less in tips and will be more likely to work somewhere else.  It does hurt the restaurant, just a little tiny bit and spread out way down the line.

It's pretty SS to expect to get something for free when the seller would normally charge for it.  To make a fuss out of it and to punish someone who has no power to actually change the policy is even more SS.  The ends simply do not justify the means.

weeblewobble

« Reply #640 on: January 27, 2014, 02:19:32 PM »

The bolded is why the tip would have been about a dollar. I shouldn't have to not only ask for something repeatedly and then still have to get it myself.

Not to mention being told that something I want is "lower class"

Cherry91

« Reply #641 on: January 27, 2014, 02:37:58 PM »

Yeah, that'd annoy me. I'm not too "lower class" that they won't take my money, but they'll ignore and insult my request?

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #642 on: January 27, 2014, 02:52:42 PM »

Two waiters, 42 women (all of us 55 or older - about a third of them in their late 70s and really, really indecisive about what to eat - it took a while to get all the orders with both waiters working and by that time some of the food was starting to get ready - I was literally order #2 - so the cooks were finishing the other 40 plates fast once mine came in....), and since I was a waitress in college - I had an inkling of the handicaps they were working under.  (Larger group than planned - whole menu rather than limited one to simplify knowing what would be more likely to be ordered, no preordering, and some of these women wanted the menu read to them....I heard one waiter explaining the same three dishes to one lady three times, then twice to the lady next to her, and again to the lady next to HER...by the time he got to the end of the table - he had to have explained the menu over forty times to the 20 people on our end of the table - maybe seventy times).

I did figure the price of a drink into the total (drank only water) before writing down the $4 to make sure that they didn't LOOSE money waiting on me (average plate cost considers at least a plate & a beverage)....I had that happen a few times when I waited on elderly people & got left twenty five cents on two lunches with a beverage - so roughly $10 thirty years ago.  Granted, you could buy more with a quarter, but 10% to 12% of the bill it was not.

I just don't plan to go back there until the next annual party...service might be better outside the party room - but there is food at least as good other places & I don't MIND the low class touch of a bottle of catsup on the table!

I know how the IRS in the USA figures an approximate tip on every sale, figuring that you'll average X% off of that.  I learned to keep records of my cash tips in college just to be sure that if I reported income 2/3s of what they were going to tax me on, I could support it in case of an audit.  I didn't like it - but I found a better place to wait tables, too! 

The planner (group leader) had set ups for 40 and when I got there (RSVP #36) there were already ten chairs "folded" against the table to "save" them for various groups to sit together.  Once all the chairs that weren't "saved" got filled - the leader talked to the women who were saving seats...turned out that the people having the seats saved for them were already there & seated on the other side of the (large) room. 

We still had at least two more place settings needed, as more people showed up than had RSVPd.  There at times when I think that she should take orders from a limited menu & pass out colored name tags for people to leave by their seat (giant U shaped table set up - but it's her group and some of these ladies looked at their plates & didn't remember what they'd ordered twenty minutes earlier - they would have been really upset if they'd sent in a pre-order with their RSVP & changed their minds in the ten days between RSVP & event).

I was the first person on our side of the U to order - so I was glad that I had been looking at the menu....there were ladies who stopped talking & started reading the menu as the waiter was taking the order of the person next to them.  The 42 of us probably took over 45 minutes to order even with two waiters (I don't know if they took 21 orders each or if one waiter took more orders than the other).

I do know that once the plates started coming out of the kitchen, there was another 45 frantic minutes as trays were carried in & out with three & four plates on each tray (the manager or hostess was helping - didn't see a tag to know her title - she was also the one behind the bar who told me that they didn't have bottles of catsup).

Her tone of voice wasn't dripping with condescension - but it did seem to be the slightest bit like she was pointing out something to her grandmother that her grandmother SHOULD have known.  I did the Spock eyebrow lift...I have no idea if she even noticed.

Young whippersnappers....but I digress.

I really think that we've outgrown the party room (or at least the U table arrangement) but there are a limited number of places for 34 to 45 people to eat with a "reasonable price range" of food.  I might point out a couple of options over the next few months (11 months until the next planning session for the leader) - but being right off a major highway & close (or at least not out of the range of reasonable driving distance in town) is a HUGE consideration.   

And a buffet might be easier in some ways - but she'd never get everyone sitting down at the same time to make any announcements or play a Bingo...because there would always be a few people refilling drinks, getting food, getting clean silverware, or wandering over to talk to someone who came in later & sat down on the other side of the room.

We have monthly meetings at a buffet...I *know* how things go at a buffet.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:38:59 PM by VorFemme »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #643 on: January 27, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »

Tone of voice - not phrasing....complaining about tone of voice is too subjective to be taken seriously at some places.

But I do spend more time at lower class joints - especially the one with the 1960s country & western music playing loudly - and we take my parents there, too!  Dad LOVES Johnny Cash, Johnny Horton, Loretta Lynn, and the rest of the "golden oldies"!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:00:10 PM by VorFemme »

Margo

« Reply #644 on: January 27, 2014, 03:20:26 PM »
<snip>

I didn't know any of this at the time. I just saw this guy stomping up to the desk in a bad mood. He flourished his library card at me and said, "I want to cancel my account! Just delete me from the system!" He pretty obviously expected to be fawned over and convinced to stay part of our wonderful library system.

I just said, "Okay," and used his card to call up his record and delete it. If he'd had books checked out or owed fines I couldn't have done it so easily, but he only ever used his card to access the internet, so it took me about ten seconds. I then threw his card into the trash and said, "You're all set. Your record has been deleted."

It took him a minute, but he came back with, "... Oh. Okay. I guess I'll just sign up again later if I want to."

"That sounds like a plan. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

No, there wasn't, and he walked out. We haven't seen him since. The librarian thanked me profusely.

Wonderful!  have done this with clients a few times. The ones who 'threaten' to leave and go elsewhere, assuming that you'll beg them to stay. It's always interesting to watch when the response is "OK. I'll close your file. Let us know where you want us to send it"