Author Topic: Giving PA people what they "want" (Stories!) UPDATE P27  (Read 123016 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: Giving PA people what they "want" (Stories!) UPDATE P27
« Reply #405 on: February 20, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »
That reminds me of something my stepfather said to me. I was home at 10pm from work, starving and with low blood sugar and he wanted to have a serious conversation about something to me. I asked politely if he could wait until I finished my dinner, as I could give him a better response, and he told me that I was being selfish.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #406 on: February 20, 2013, 11:58:06 PM »
That reminds me of something my stepfather said to me. I was home at 10pm from work, starving and with low blood sugar and he wanted to have a serious conversation about something to me. I asked politely if he could wait until I finished my dinner, as I could give him a better response, and he told me that I was being selfish.

You know I never understand people who want to have a heart to heart/serious conversation when people are hungry and tired. 

I know with me the only thing that is guaranteed to happen is that my nice filter will be malfunctioning and my responses will be along the vein of bullet point answers and RAWWWWR HUNGER NOM NOM SLEEP.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #407 on: February 21, 2013, 07:04:51 AM »
When I'm extremely tired either one of two things happens.   I'll get extremely silly and laugh like a loon if someone says "boo" or bawl like a baby because someone said "boo."

Either way, you're not getting a logical conversation out of me! If I'm really hungry and you insist on keeping me from food, as it is in cartoons, you may start looking like a chicken leg.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

o_gal

« Reply #408 on: February 21, 2013, 07:52:19 AM »
You know I never understand people who want to have a heart to heart/serious conversation when people are hungry and tired. 

Some (evil) people do it on purpose to get you to try to agree with them, knowing your defenses will be down.

My junior year of college, my roommate was a sophomore who had a disastrous rel*tionship in her freshman year. This guy would not leave her alone, isolated her from friends and activities, and pretty much psychologically abused her. She was a wreck leaving school at the end of the year, but once she was away from him for the summer, she rebounded. She came back and told him it was over but he wanted her back. He would come to our room at 6am and wake her up and beg and plead with her for usually an hour or more (I was usually already up but it still annoyed me). It wore her down and one day I came back to the room to find her and all her stuff gone. The RA was aware of what was going on and called her parents, who came and rescued her. She transferred to another school so he wouldn't know where she was.

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #409 on: February 21, 2013, 08:41:19 AM »
The couch story reminds me of one time when my dad, who has very smelly feet, decided to lie on the couch with his slippers off.  I, being a very tactless teenager, said "Geez, Dad, your feet stink."  He ignored me (probably because I was always being rude like that.  I was a bit obnoxious at that age).  Then my mum said "Uh, Roger, your feet really do stink.  PLEASE put your slippers back on." 

Whereupon he stomped out of the livingroom in a huff for daring to imply that his toesies didn't smell like gardenias.  Yep, giving us breathable air that didn't make us want to pass out - that'll teach us!

The reverse of this story (which I've told here before I'm sure) was when my sister's boyfriend came over and took his shoes off at the door. He sat on the couch, and suddenly my sister announced that she "smelled something. Do you smell that? What is that?" Well, it was her BF's feet apparently (I was next to him and couldn't smell anything). So she grabbed a bottle of Lysol and Lysol'd his feet. I don't know what she expected him to do--he already took his shoes off when he came in, which was one of her rules. Was he supposed to cut his feet off before entering as well?  ???

Shalamar

« Reply #410 on: February 21, 2013, 09:57:42 AM »

I once came home from university at around 10:00 p.m. with a burger and fries in hand, because I was exhausted and starving and all I could think about was feeding my face.  My dad decided to sit at the table to "keep me company".  Now, I have this weird quirk in that I absolutely HATE to have someone sitting watching me eat if they're not eating themselves, plus I had a good book that I wanted to read.  I politely said that I'd rather be on my own, thanks, and he lost his temper and stormed off in a huff.  Ah well, at least I was able to eat in peace.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #411 on: February 21, 2013, 12:13:38 PM »
When I'm extremely tired either one of two things happens.   I'll get extremely silly and laugh like a loon if someone says "boo" or bawl like a baby because someone said "boo."

Either way, you're not getting a logical conversation out of me! If I'm really hungry and you insist on keeping me from food, as it is in cartoons, you may start looking like a chicken leg.

I thought I was the only one who bawled like a two year old when I was overly tired!  I've found the older I get (I'm 47) the more tired I am, the less it takes to set me off. I was soooo tired one night at my second job, and could barely funciton, I was dying. Thankfully, it was during the summer, and the college girl who had worked all day, wanted the money, so she worked a double and  Igot to go home. i could have kissed her.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #412 on: February 21, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »

Some (evil) people do it on purpose to get you to try to agree with them, knowing your defenses will be down.

Agreed. It puts them in a position of power: you'll eat when they say you can eat, you'll sleep when they let you sleep.

That strategy backfires on people who try it with me. I get giddily talkative and figgity when I'm overly tired or hungry. I even know I'm doing it and Can't Shut Up. I imagine for the other person it's like having a heart-to-heart with a squirrel on red bull.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #413 on: February 21, 2013, 12:31:59 PM »

I thought I was the only one who bawled like a two year old when I was overly tired!  I've found the older I get (I'm 47) the more tired I am, the less it takes to set me off. I was soooo tired one night at my second job, and could barely funciton, I was dying. Thankfully, it was during the summer, and the college girl who had worked all day, wanted the money, so she worked a double and  Igot to go home. i could have kissed her.

No, you're not the only one by a long shot.  My best friend is like that too, especially when she's burnt out.  We refer to it as having a brick wall fall down on us when you're so worn out and burnt out and tired that you just don't know what to do with yourself.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

bloo

« Reply #414 on: February 21, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »

Agreed. It puts them in a position of power: you'll eat when they say you can eat, you'll sleep when they let you sleep.

That strategy backfires on people who try it with me. I get giddily talkative and figgity when I'm overly tired or hungry. I even know I'm doing it and Can't Shut Up. I imagine for the other person it's like having a heart-to-heart with a squirrel on red bull.

The bolded reminded me of a clip from one of my fave movies (Hoodwinked!): Squirrel on coffee...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmCjMRAzCiE

tiff019

« Reply #415 on: February 21, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »
The couch story reminds me of one time when my dad, who has very smelly feet, decided to lie on the couch with his slippers off.  I, being a very tactless teenager, said "Geez, Dad, your feet stink."  He ignored me (probably because I was always being rude like that.  I was a bit obnoxious at that age).  Then my mum said "Uh, Roger, your feet really do stink.  PLEASE put your slippers back on." 

Whereupon he stomped out of the livingroom in a huff for daring to imply that his toesies didn't smell like gardenias.  Yep, giving us breathable air that didn't make us want to pass out - that'll teach us!

The reverse of this story (which I've told here before I'm sure) was when my sister's boyfriend came over and took his shoes off at the door. He sat on the couch, and suddenly my sister announced that she "smelled something. Do you smell that? What is that?" Well, it was her BF's feet apparently (I was next to him and couldn't smell anything). So she grabbed a bottle of Lysol and Lysol'd his feet. I don't know what she expected him to do--he already took his shoes off when he came in, which was one of her rules. Was he supposed to cut his feet off before entering as well?  ???

My (adult) dad once got yelled at by his mother for wearing his shoes in the house, so he obliged and took them off by the door, and walked into the tiled entryway... where he then got yelled at for leaving sweaty footprints on the tiles (from his socked feet). He asked his mom if she wanted him to just float around the house. If I remember the story correctly, she just huffed and flounced off. She was a good woman, just particular about very odd things at times.

MrTango

« Reply #416 on: February 21, 2013, 02:45:32 PM »

It backfires with me also.  Instead of Rational, Logical MrTango, they get a very angry, irrational, and defensive MrTango.

mmswm

« Reply #417 on: February 21, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »

It backfires with me also.  Instead of Rational, Logical MrTango, they get a very angry, irrational, and defensive MrTango.

I turn into an angry, rage-filled cave man (er, woman).  It's not pretty.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #418 on: February 21, 2013, 03:13:20 PM »
^^ I end up giggling and responding to everything with "your face"
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

snowflake

« Reply #419 on: February 21, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »

I turn into an angry, rage-filled cave man (er, woman).  It's not pretty.

The people in my life who have done this know I'm tetchy when tired/hungry.  They do it on purpose so they can say, "Well I TRIED to be reasonable/ talk things out/ have a heart-to-heart but you were hostile and therefore I'm not going to try to be a decent person.  They then take it as a carte blanche to behave any way they see fit.

I think that's a tried and true tactic for some people.