Author Topic: Giving PA people what they "want" (Stories!) UPDATE P27  (Read 126923 times)

EveLGenius

Re: Giving PA people what they "want" (Stories!) UPDATE P27
« Reply #540 on: January 21, 2014, 11:35:25 PM »
My father likes to make outrageous suggestions, and then complain that YOU are the unreasonable one for not thinking they were good ideas.  For years, whenever we would drive past a Hooters (for those not in the USA, it's a bar and grill where the waitresses all wear very revealing clothing) he would say, "We should go there for dinner!  Haw, haw!"  Please understand that he's a lawyer, my mother a professor at a religious college, and both he and my mother are speakers in their church, so in their world, Hooters is considered Not A Polite Place.

I finally snapped.  We were driving down a street with a number of restaurants, and discussing dinner options.  There was a Hooters, among about 10 restaurants, and Dad once again said, "Let's go to Hooters!  Ha, ha!"  So I said, "OK," and started to pull into the parking lot.  Well he just about stripped the gears on his tongue,he back pedaled so hard.  I pointed out that I didn't mind, I'd heard their food was good, DD (age 1) was eating food that I had packed, so no problem.  DH backed me, bless him, and Mom figured out what we were doing and said it was fine with her.  Dad finally said he was more in the mood for steak, so we went elsewhere.

He hasn't mentioned Hooters in the last 7 years, now.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #541 on: January 22, 2014, 12:28:01 AM »
My father likes to make outrageous suggestions, and then complain that YOU are the unreasonable one for not thinking they were good ideas.  For years, whenever we would drive past a Hooters (for those not in the USA, it's a bar and grill where the waitresses all wear very revealing clothing) he would say, "We should go there for dinner!  Haw, haw!"  Please understand that he's a lawyer, my mother a professor at a religious college, and both he and my mother are speakers in their church, so in their world, Hooters is considered Not A Polite Place.

I finally snapped.  We were driving down a street with a number of restaurants, and discussing dinner options.  There was a Hooters, among about 10 restaurants, and Dad once again said, "Let's go to Hooters!  Ha, ha!"  So I said, "OK," and started to pull into the parking lot.  Well he just about stripped the gears on his tongue,he back pedaled so hard.  I pointed out that I didn't mind, I'd heard their food was good, DD (age 1) was eating food that I had packed, so no problem.  DH backed me, bless him, and Mom figured out what we were doing and said it was fine with her.  Dad finally said he was more in the mood for steak, so we went elsewhere.

Your name is very apt my friend

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #542 on: January 22, 2014, 01:59:14 AM »
DH has been to a Hooters and he said he found it rather sad.

Daquiri40

« Reply #543 on: January 22, 2014, 10:10:05 AM »
My boyfriend and I were in St. Louis near the arch and were looking for somewhere for lunch.  We were walking.  We saw a place called Show Me's and went in.  I had to look twice because the waitresses had black aprons on and looked as if they weren't wearing pants.  They were wearing very short shorts with black dance tights with a lot of rear end hanging out. 

Duh!  Show Me!  Ha!  We laughed about it.  The waitresses were very nice and were attractive and the food was good but I don't think I will be going back there.

daen

« Reply #544 on: January 22, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »

That... that is  beautiful.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #545 on: January 22, 2014, 11:43:20 AM »

That... that is  beautiful.

SNERK...

Love it!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #546 on: January 22, 2014, 12:10:29 PM »

There's one near my house.  MIL and I took Babybartfast once when she was about a year old.  It was pretty empty at lunchtime, and all the waitresses cooed over Babybartfast the entire time.  It was adorable.

What was less adorable was one of the few other patrons there, a skeevy-looking middle-aged guy dining along who spent the entire time leering at all the waitresses.  I mean, I know it's part of the restaurant's image and all, but there's a difference between "ooh, look, they're all good-looking" and actively TRYING to look like you're imagining what you want to do to them whether they like the idea or not  :-\  I felt really bad for the waitresses, having to put up with guys like that.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #547 on: January 22, 2014, 12:21:09 PM »

There's one near my house.  MIL and I took Babybartfast once when she was about a year old.  It was pretty empty at lunchtime, and all the waitresses cooed over Babybartfast the entire time.  It was adorable.

What was less adorable was one of the few other patrons there, a skeevy-looking middle-aged guy dining along who spent the entire time leering at all the waitresses.  I mean, I know it's part of the restaurant's image and all, but there's a difference between "ooh, look, they're all good-looking" and actively TRYING to look like you're imagining what you want to do to them whether they like the idea or not  :-\  I felt really bad for the waitresses, having to put up with guys like that.

I find Hooters to be the oddest themed restaurant ....WE're a fmaily place , we're named for both a bird and a euphemism for breasts and we insist our waitress are well endowed and wear low cut T shirts and short shorts BUT WE"RE A FAMILY RESTAURANT BRING YOUR KIDS BRING YOU WIFE , STOP BY FOR SUNDAY BRUNCH BRING YOUR PASTOR !!!! CAUSE WE ARE A FAMILY RESTAURANT!!   The uniforms and large breasted staff have nothing to do with the name is a owl get it!!!!   I'm not offended by the concept I'm perplexed... they seem to not want themselves or their customers to acknowledge their concept expect in hiring practices.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:25:36 PM by shhh its me »

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #548 on: January 22, 2014, 12:22:32 PM »
The Hooters story reminded me of one from my Grandmother.  She would always order a mixed drink more popular with the older generation (She is in her 90's).  Then complain that the bar didn't have something (pickled olives?) to add to the drink. Then she'd go on and on about how the area where we lived was so inferior to where she lived. 

In early college I worked as a waitress at a restaurant where everyone would be eating.  My parents gave me money to buy a jar of pickled olives (or whatever it was) just to shut her up.  Sure enough, she asked for it and was quite disappointed when I didn't bat an eye and served her the drink.  She never asked for them again.  Or, at least she never complained about the lack which was what drove us nuts. 

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #549 on: January 22, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »

Our family went for my brother's 13th birthday. I honestly don't remember the food, but the waitresses were super nice to the boys and gave DB a free T-shirt they all signed and wrote nice things on.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Shalamar

« Reply #550 on: January 22, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »
Back when my mother didn't drive, one of my dad's favorite ploys was demanding "Well, do YOU want to drive?" when she complained about his behavior behind the wheel.  (He's a lot better now, but when he was younger, I'm pretty sure he invented road rage.)  Then my mother got her license, Dad tried the same old line, and he was flabbergasted when she said angrily "As a matter of fact, yes, I DO want to drive!"

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #551 on: January 22, 2014, 12:34:31 PM »
shhh its me wrote:

"I find Hooters to be the oddest themed restaurant ....WE're a fmaily place , we're named for both a bird and a euphemism for breasts and we insist our waitress are well endowed and wear low cut T shirts and short shorts BUT WE"RE A FAMILY RESTAURANT BRING YOUR KIDS BRING YOU WIFE , STOP BY FOR SUNDAY BRUNCH BRING YOUR PASTOR !!!! CAUSE WE ARE A FAMILY RESTAURANT!!"

The problem is that they started as a stag-bar-turned-restaurant place where the intention was to draw in men with the waitstaff, but then found out that the market for men looking for a restaurant with "girls! girls! girls!" to be much smaller than the market for family dining, so they took a stylistic left turn in their marketing, strongly playing up the "family friendly" aspect.  The result is a little schizophrenic because the two target markets they're trying to meld don't mix, and it all comes out a little weird.

Virg

Shalamar

« Reply #552 on: January 22, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »
That reminds me of the advertising campaign Las Vegas ran a few years ago, saying how suitable it is for a family vacation.  "Bring the kids!"   To be fair, I've never been, but friends who've visited recently said "Yeahhhh, it's still pretty much all about gambling and hookers."

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #553 on: January 22, 2014, 12:43:20 PM »
Although EvilIris is secretly having a little snorty giggle at a grown man getting in a snit because his wife hadn't *picked out his clothes for him*.

::small voice:: he made me tie his shoes too.  not all the time, but....yeah.

I'd have tied them together.

Seriously, GregI, you're well rid of him.  I'll bet he was raised in an environment where he was the "fair haired boy" and what he said was law.  My brother was like that...until he pitched a fit in front of company and got what had been coming to him for years.  To his immense credit he straightened out, and now we're best friends. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #554 on: January 22, 2014, 12:45:43 PM »
That reminds me of the advertising campaign Las Vegas ran a few years ago, saying how suitable it is for a family vacation.  "Bring the kids!"   To be fair, I've never been, but friends who've visited recently said "Yeahhhh, it's still pretty much all about gambling and hookers."

I remember that at least at the time they tried to build a few kid friendly things....like a few roller coasters , a star trek ride and a few other things.  I recall laughing a bit when the ads then gave up on kids and became "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas"