A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Changes for Thanksgiving 2013

<< < (11/11)

Sophia:
For Amara and others that are over Turkey on Thanksgiving, I am here to tell you that Lasagna is THE perfect holiday food.  You make it a day or two ahead.  Clean the kitchen.  Then the day of, just add bread and salad.  It will feed lots of people and/or lots of leftovers and pretty much everyone likes it.  The timing is very unfussy as far as cooking, reheating and getting to the table, which I think is essential for holiday foods. 

Next year, I am not going to volunteer to do as much.  There is this convention that I have been attending/volunteering for that happens every Thanksgiving weekend.  There is a big job that one woman has always done.  Last year she was doing the martyr act and whining so much that I said "Fine, I will do it next year."  I said that mainly because I decided I'd rather do it than hear more whining.  She continued to whine.  I did it.  It was horrible.  Then I also did the thing that I normally do.  Then a friend asked if I'd lead the Sparkling Wine taste, and well, It was Sparkling Wine!  So, I did that too.  Wayyyyy too much.  Bronchitis not, probably as a result. 

jane7166:
I think next year we have to get a larger turkey!  We had 16 people total and a 16.5 lb turkey.  That would usually be enough and then some, especially since we have so many appetizers and sides, but the little nieces and nephews who used to just pick at their food now eat - A LOT.  Seconds and thirds - who knew?  They are at the age where the boys can grow inches almost overnight. 

We had just enough turkey - about a quarter pound of leftovers. 

Amara:
Lasagna sounds perfect, Sophia. I adore it. But maybe a special one? I might look through my old issues of Saveur and Cook's Illustrated to see if they have a more sophisticated version. That's an excellent idea.

One thing I thought about--but I do it for Christmas dinner now--is the fabulous, to-die-for March of Dimes Bastilla. (It's a Moroccan chicken dish.) Add a Moroccan salad, a steamed artichoke and the dessert of choice, and this is one dinner than brings 'em running. It takes time to make but is simply heavenly. The only substitutes I make in it are to use Calvados rather than rum to soak the raisins, using golden rather than regular raisins, and leaving out the liver.

So a special lasagna for T-Day and the Bastilla for Christmas. Hmm. I like! (And not a turkey in sight.)

Sophia:
Amara, maybe use fresh pasta?  A layer with alfredo sauce?  Using the whole milk mott. is a must.  Fresh pasta is noticeably better, but not something we'd bother with every time.  We've been doing lasagna for T-day for years and it never disappoints.  I'm an only child and mom and I don't really care for Turkey.

For the bread we slice french bread diagonally so the pieces are long and the crust is easier to bite through.   Melt butter in the microwave and add a decent amount of garlic powder.  Brush garlic butter on both sides of bread and broil. 

kckgirl:
We do lasagna for Christmas every year. For Thanksgiving, I might try getting just a turkey breast and a few drumsticks...that's really all I like. We don't do a Norman Rockwell photo, so we don't really need a whole turkey.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version