Author Topic: Changes for Thanksgiving 2013  (Read 5458 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: Changes for Thanksgiving 2013
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 11:26:16 AM »
I'm making four of the Paula Deen chocolate pecan pie instead of two, because everybody told me they wanted more of it.  >:D

Bookgirl

• Read The Hunger Games. Trust me.
    • Zo- Be Designs
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »
We pretty much have everything down pat now but I will be doing a bit more of the prep work for my sourdough artichoke stuffing on Christmas Eve.  Too much prep for one session and my mom wants me to double the recipe next time! 

We just bought one of those 3 pot crock pots to help keep everything warm.  Can't wait to try it out on Christmas to see if the theory works. 

I think I'm bringing back the veggie tray, I missed it even though a lot of it doesn't get eaten that day.
RIP to my blog

I play with paper, scissors and glue and this is where I Facebook about it:
http://www.facebook.com/ZoBeDesigns

my cards and papergoods: www.ZoBeDesigns.etsy.com

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 07:23:46 PM »
We pretty much have everything down pat now but I will be doing a bit more of the prep work for my sourdough artichoke stuffing on Christmas Eve.  Too much prep for one session and my mom wants me to double the recipe next time! 

We just bought one of those 3 pot crock pots to help keep everything warm.  Can't wait to try it out on Christmas to see if the theory works. 

I think I'm bringing back the veggie tray, I missed it even though a lot of it doesn't get eaten that day.

Friends of ours who regularly host holidays have those - they work very well, especially for things like mashed potatoes.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

amylouky

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2012, 08:49:38 AM »

Friends of ours who regularly host holidays have those - they work very well, especially for things like mashed potatoes.

I wouldn't be able to host without mine, I don't think. I use it for everything. I've had pasta dinners before, it's perfect for two different sauces and garlic bread. Also great for serving breakfast.. scrambled eggs, meat, and sausage gravy.  :D
I also can't cook anymore without my electric griddle. I tried to make pancakes in a skillet recently, couldn't even flip 'em.

On topic, DH and I had a quiet Thanksgiving dinner at home this year. My mom came over, but that was it.. just us and the boys and Mom. It was wonderful, and I may have to make it a tradition. We did get together with my family for the crazy Tday dinner on Sunday.

I also did a ton of Christmas shopping that night online. I might not have gotten the BEST deals out there, but it was way better than fighting the crazy Black Friday crowds.

BarensMom

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2012, 09:33:54 AM »
Bite your tongue!  Sweet potatoes are a must!!  Casserole, bread, pie...does not matter, have had it with all.
The only debates are nuts vs. marshmallows?
 ;) :)

My mother used both in her sweet potatoes, and hers was a miracle of yumminess in a pan.  The marshmallows would crisp to a golden brown, and the flavor was like an additional dessert.

Edited to add:  Has anyone ever tried adding coconut to their pumpkin pie recipe?  It is all kinds of awesome. 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:38:32 AM by BarensMom »

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2012, 09:35:40 AM »
Neither.  Mashed with butter and salt and pepper. 

Don't like too much sweet, they're plenty sweet on their own if you don't boil all the flavor out of them first.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »

I have a triple crockpot set too.  LOVE it!  Works great for large gatherings. 

I have never hard of sourdough artichoke stuffing.  What is in it?

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2012, 01:26:24 PM »
Also, we're buying a roasting rack. I'm done trying to elevate the turkey from the pan with tubes of aluminum foil. Now that we consistently make our own turkeys (and want to roast more chickens), it's worth buying.

Where do you live?   I have a really nice roasting rack that I picked up years ago at a garage sale for a song, and now I'm sure I'm never going to roast a whole turkey again, so I don't need it.  It's in excellent shape.
For some reason, I can't even give it away on Freecycle!

On the west coast, so if I'm understanding your screen name correctly, nowhere near MD. :) We might end up wanting to replace our roasting pan, too, and most of those come with racks. The one we have was a freebie from my mom, and is a little warped. It does alright, but it may be time to get a better one.

This is one of those V-shaped racks, suitable for roasting the bird upside down, though.

I saw a very nice one at Macy's for $14.99.  Very good quality.  I was astounded by the low price.  If you have Macy's by you, I think the price is valid til tomorrow.  It is regular $50.  I could not find them online.  It is the Tools of the Trade brand, Macy's value brand.    I have NEVER seen one of this quality for so cheap. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #53 on: December 01, 2012, 02:05:45 PM »
For Amara and others that are over Turkey on Thanksgiving, I am here to tell you that Lasagna is THE perfect holiday food.  You make it a day or two ahead.  Clean the kitchen.  Then the day of, just add bread and salad.  It will feed lots of people and/or lots of leftovers and pretty much everyone likes it.  The timing is very unfussy as far as cooking, reheating and getting to the table, which I think is essential for holiday foods. 

Next year, I am not going to volunteer to do as much.  There is this convention that I have been attending/volunteering for that happens every Thanksgiving weekend.  There is a big job that one woman has always done.  Last year she was doing the martyr act and whining so much that I said "Fine, I will do it next year."  I said that mainly because I decided I'd rather do it than hear more whining.  She continued to whine.  I did it.  It was horrible.  Then I also did the thing that I normally do.  Then a friend asked if I'd lead the Sparkling Wine taste, and well, It was Sparkling Wine!  So, I did that too.  Wayyyyy too much.  Bronchitis not, probably as a result. 

jane7166

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »
I think next year we have to get a larger turkey!  We had 16 people total and a 16.5 lb turkey.  That would usually be enough and then some, especially since we have so many appetizers and sides, but the little nieces and nephews who used to just pick at their food now eat - A LOT.  Seconds and thirds - who knew?  They are at the age where the boys can grow inches almost overnight. 

We had just enough turkey - about a quarter pound of leftovers. 

Amara

« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »
Lasagna sounds perfect, Sophia. I adore it. But maybe a special one? I might look through my old issues of Saveur and Cook's Illustrated to see if they have a more sophisticated version. That's an excellent idea.

One thing I thought about--but I do it for Christmas dinner now--is the fabulous, to-die-for March of Dimes Bastilla. (It's a Moroccan chicken dish.) Add a Moroccan salad, a steamed artichoke and the dessert of choice, and this is one dinner than brings 'em running. It takes time to make but is simply heavenly. The only substitutes I make in it are to use Calvados rather than rum to soak the raisins, using golden rather than regular raisins, and leaving out the liver.

So a special lasagna for T-Day and the Bastilla for Christmas. Hmm. I like! (And not a turkey in sight.)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2012, 06:07:03 PM »
Amara, maybe use fresh pasta?  A layer with alfredo sauce?  Using the whole milk mott. is a must.  Fresh pasta is noticeably better, but not something we'd bother with every time.  We've been doing lasagna for T-day for years and it never disappoints.  I'm an only child and mom and I don't really care for Turkey.

For the bread we slice french bread diagonally so the pieces are long and the crust is easier to bite through.   Melt butter in the microwave and add a decent amount of garlic powder.  Brush garlic butter on both sides of bread and broil. 

kckgirl

« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2012, 07:22:11 PM »
We do lasagna for Christmas every year. For Thanksgiving, I might try getting just a turkey breast and a few drumsticks...that's really all I like. We don't do a Norman Rockwell photo, so we don't really need a whole turkey.
Maryland