News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 23, 2017, 07:36:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bringing dishes/enough good food  (Read 10910 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: Bringing dishes/enough good food
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2012, 09:33:42 PM »
I like it!

I have been labeling my contributions for a few years. DH and DS have a severe food allergy and I hate having to guess what people put in their food.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

doodlemor

« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2012, 10:12:07 PM »
 I really like the ideas of having a person or committee in charge, and of labeling the food.

Would it be overkill for the person in charge to go around with a checklist and check people's contributions off from her master list of stuff that people said they would bring?  This would be so that the person or committee in charge would know how much food to ask people to bring the next year, of course.

Sharnita

« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2012, 11:24:49 PM »
OK kckgirl, sorry if you were offended, but I have been to your country and its the only place in the world I have ever seen cheese come out of a plastic bottle.  My daughter was a Camp Counsellor with Camp America and told me she had never seen mashed potatoes made with marshmellows.  Sorry but real food is a matter of opinion.

mashed potatoes made with marshmallows?  do you mean sweet potatoes?

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 08:23:43 AM »
I like it!

I have been labeling my contributions for a few years. DH and DS have a severe food allergy and I hate having to guess what people put in their food.

I labeled my last contribution, "Mashed Cauliflower".  I did it because it looks like mashed potatoes and it might have a different target audience.

Rusty

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2012, 08:23:00 PM »
Sharnita, I've never heard of either option, only what my daughter said so she could be wrong.  It sounds very sweet to me.  Krispy Kreme opened up here to great fanfare a couple of years ago but has quietly closed and gone away, I think we do not have such a taste for ultra sweet here.   This in no way should be taken as criticism just as an example.

Emmy

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »
The no effort mac and cheese and cold 'green bean casserole' presented at the Thanksgiving Day gathering sound awful.  I would have sympathy for somebody who put in effort making a dish only to have it not touched at a gathering, but find it ridiculous to be offended that people aren't diving into American cheese microwaved onto macaroni.  I don't think there is any way to dictate quality of food in a tactful manner.  It should be up to the closest relative of each cousin to address this.

The sign up sheet is a good idea.  There should be both items that need to be cooked and items the non-cooks can bring such as veggie trays, drinks, or napkins.  I think larger families should bring more food, for example, 1-2 people can bring 1 small side, 3-4 people can bring 1 large or 2 small sides, ect.  When people like Cousin 3 sign up for soda, she can be reminded to bring several liters instead of just 2 liters for her entourage.  I like the idea of putting signs explaining what a dish is and who made it.  I don't like to think of it as 'shaming', but just motivating people to bring enough and do their best.  I wish there was a tactful way to tell people who contribute minimally or not at all that they have to be in back of the buffet line.  Maybe I am just cynical, but when reading potluck stories, it seems non-contributors are always in front of the line piling up the good stuff on their plates (and rushing back for seconds).

Ornery

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2012, 03:24:04 PM »
Cousin Voldemort Casserole

My new favorite phrase. Right here.

OP, can you talk to several of the aunts all together and suggest instituting the sign-up sheet like Bijou posted? It sounds like the aunts are the collective heads of the dinner (even though Sweetheart Aunt is the official head) and should be able to institute some sort of system.

Yes, I love that phrase myself.   

DottyG

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2012, 03:34:09 PM »
Sharnita, I've never heard of either option, only what my daughter said so she could be wrong.  It sounds very sweet to me.  Krispy Kreme opened up here to great fanfare a couple of years ago but has quietly closed and gone away, I think we do not have such a taste for ultra sweet here.   This in no way should be taken as criticism just as an example.

Despite what it sounds like, if it's made correctly, it shouldn't be ultra sweet.  It can be if that's the taste people are going for, but the really good ones I've had aren't.