A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Xmas gift quandaries . . . open to all

(1/15) > >>

jpcher:
What do you think about this gift? Would that be better?

Just an open thread for everybody to post their thoughts or questions, looking for advice or suggestions of what would be the best gift to give.

I'll start:

My parents love Carol Burnett. There's a 50-episode DVD set available for $200 which I thought would be perfect. There's also a 25-episode set for $100.

Then I started looking at other DVD sets. Johnny Carson, original Bill Cosby, Emergency, Get Smart . . . these are cheaper and I could probably get quite a few if I bought the 25-episode set of Carol Burnett.

As a recipient, which would you prefer? A variety pack? Or the full-blown version of your absolute favorite?

KenveeB:
If they really love Carol Burnett, then I'd get the full set. If they like CB and like other stuff too, then get the variety. :)

SamiHami:
If CB is their absolute fav, then I'd go with that exclusively.

Bijou:

--- Quote from: jpcher on November 25, 2012, 03:04:36 PM ---What do you think about this gift? Would that be better?

Just an open thread for everybody to post their thoughts or questions, looking for advice or suggestions of what would be the best gift to give.

I'll start:

My parents love Carol Burnett. There's a 50-episode DVD set available for $200 which I thought would be perfect. There's also a 25-episode set for $100.

Then I started looking at other DVD sets. Johnny Carson, original Bill Cosby, Emergency, Get Smart . . . these are cheaper and I could probably get quite a few if I bought the 25-episode set of Carol Burnett.

As a recipient, which would you prefer? A variety pack? Or the full-blown version of your absolute favorite?

--- End quote ---
Full blown version of favorite.  Especially Carol Burnett.  She has the gift of lifting the spirit.  Our family adores her.  You are making me want to tell my husband not to get me a printer but to get the Carol Burnett episodes, instead!

shadowfox79:

--- Quote ---Just an open thread for everybody to post their thoughts or questions, looking for advice or suggestions of what would be the best gift to give.

--- End quote ---

Getting gifts for DH is a nightmare, since when he wants something he just buys it, so I have to try and come up with something he either can't afford or doesn't know he wants.

So far he has a new camera (which he knows about, since he picked it out). Last year he got a monopod and also has a gorillapod - something photography-related would be great, but I don't know much about it. He's into basketball, cryptozoology, watches (sadly, very expensive watches), shoes of all kinds especially trainers, and loves his chocolate. All areas I know little about so am reluctant to come back with something that looks dumb to a connoisseur.

Anyone got any ideas?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version