A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

Xmas gift quandaries . . . open to all

<< < (15/15)

Firecat:
Maybe one of those word-a-day calendars, or something like that, if you don't want to get Dilbert. Or Thinkgeek.com has some fun desk things that would be within your price limit.

Outdoor Girl:
If your workplace has its moments but is generally a good place to work, I think Dilbert would be fine.  If it was the type of workplace, though, that has everyone sending out applications elsewhere?  I'd find something else.   :)

jpcher:

--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on December 12, 2012, 12:18:27 AM ---I've got my family all taken care of, but I have no idea what to do for some of DH's kin  :-\

SIL1: <snip> She does have a decent sense of style - her personal tastes run toward animal prints and the 1980s in general, but she has a way of making tacky stuff look good (in both clothing and decor).

--- End quote ---

How about a fashion scarf like http://www.dressbarn.com/accessories/scarves-wraps?page=1 (there's a nice zebra print on pg. 2)

--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on December 12, 2012, 12:18:27 AM ---
Niece (SIL1's daughter): 20ish, lives with her other grandparents, raising a 3-year-old boy without the father in the picture and is doing a fairly decent job of it (or so I hear).  Works at a teen clothing shop at the mall.  She's always been a bit of the social-butterfly-cheerleader type, but has grown up a lot in the last few years and added a layer of responsibility which far outstrips SIL1.

--- End quote ---

This sounds like a pampering gift is called for. Maybe some bubble bath stuff or body lotions or a nail kit (a couple of different nail polishes, emory boards, hand creams) something along those lines.

Just a suggestion: http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Therapeutics-Foot-Doctor-Pedicure/dp/B000I6KRIG/ref=sr_1_9?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1355355116&sr=1-9

--- Quote from: Slartibartfast on December 12, 2012, 12:18:27 AM ---
Nephew (SIL1's son): 16(?), also lives with Niece and his other grandparents.  Average kid, average student, plays a lot of sports-related video games but plays no actual sports.  Doesn't have an opinion about anything.

<snip>

I'm thinking I might give Nephew some sort of food - three cases of Mountain Dew or something equally ridiculous - because I did the smarmy t-shirt thing last year.

--- End quote ---

Hmmmm this one's a toughy. Instead of 3 cases, get 1 case and some powerbars, a variety pack of potato chips (you know, the kind that has 20 individual-serving bags). Throw in a few chocolate bars and maybe a box of fruit roll-ups or gushers.

I really don't want to suggest the above because it's so far beyond healthy, but it goes along with the Mountain Dew. Plus! It's xmas! The one time of year you get what you WANT! and, to a 16yr old boy? you'll probably be the coolest Aunt in the world! ;D

Slartibartfast:
Ooh, thanks - a pashmina would be perfect.  (I have no problem admitting that SIL1 has more fashion sense than I do, so I normally hesitate to assume she'd like my style choices, but I could definitely see her integrating a good scarf with her many wardrobe choices.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version