Author Topic: Xmas gift quandaries . . . open to all  (Read 6692 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Xmas gift quandaries . . . open to all
« on: November 25, 2012, 03:04:36 PM »
What do you think about this gift? Would that be better?

Just an open thread for everybody to post their thoughts or questions, looking for advice or suggestions of what would be the best gift to give.

I'll start:

My parents love Carol Burnett. There's a 50-episode DVD set available for $200 which I thought would be perfect. There's also a 25-episode set for $100.

Then I started looking at other DVD sets. Johnny Carson, original Bill Cosby, Emergency, Get Smart . . . these are cheaper and I could probably get quite a few if I bought the 25-episode set of Carol Burnett.

As a recipient, which would you prefer? A variety pack? Or the full-blown version of your absolute favorite?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:08:53 PM by jpcher »

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Re: Xmas gift quandaries . . . open to all
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 03:41:07 PM »
If they really love Carol Burnett, then I'd get the full set. If they like CB and like other stuff too, then get the variety. :)

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »
If CB is their absolute fav, then I'd go with that exclusively.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 03:57:09 PM »

Just an open thread for everybody to post their thoughts or questions, looking for advice or suggestions of what would be the best gift to give.

I'll start:

My parents love Carol Burnett. There's a 50-episode DVD set available for $200 which I thought would be perfect. There's also a 25-episode set for $100.

Then I started looking at other DVD sets. Johnny Carson, original Bill Cosby, Emergency, Get Smart . . . these are cheaper and I could probably get quite a few if I bought the 25-episode set of Carol Burnett.

As a recipient, which would you prefer? A variety pack? Or the full-blown version of your absolute favorite?
Full blown version of favorite.  Especially Carol Burnett.  She has the gift of lifting the spirit.  Our family adores her.  You are making me want to tell my husband not to get me a printer but to get the Carol Burnett episodes, instead!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

shadowfox79

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:15:47 AM »

Getting gifts for DH is a nightmare, since when he wants something he just buys it, so I have to try and come up with something he either can't afford or doesn't know he wants.

So far he has a new camera (which he knows about, since he picked it out). Last year he got a monopod and also has a gorillapod - something photography-related would be great, but I don't know much about it. He's into basketball, cryptozoology, watches (sadly, very expensive watches), shoes of all kinds especially trainers, and loves his chocolate. All areas I know little about so am reluctant to come back with something that looks dumb to a connoisseur.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ereine

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:25:31 AM »

Getting gifts for DH is a nightmare, since when he wants something he just buys it, so I have to try and come up with something he either can't afford or doesn't know he wants.

So far he has a new camera (which he knows about, since he picked it out). Last year he got a monopod and also has a gorillapod - something photography-related would be great, but I don't know much about it. He's into basketball, cryptozoology, watches (sadly, very expensive watches), shoes of all kinds especially trainers, and loves his chocolate. All areas I know little about so am reluctant to come back with something that looks dumb to a connoisseur.

Anyone got any ideas?

This isn't probably a good idea because he got the monopod last year but I got my boyfriend a Steadepod this year. I'm hoping that it works as well as the reviews claim, it's a small gadget that claims to stabilize the camera (by a cord that goes under your foot) and it would be great for taking photos in places where you can't take a tripod or don't want to haul the monopod with you.

shadowfox79

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 09:01:18 AM »

Anyone got any ideas?

This isn't probably a good idea because he got the monopod last year but I got my boyfriend a Steadepod this year. I'm hoping that it works as well as the reviews claim, it's a small gadget that claims to stabilize the camera (by a cord that goes under your foot) and it would be great for taking photos in places where you can't take a tripod or don't want to haul the monopod with you.

Now that's a thought. Thanks.

Jones

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 09:23:02 AM »
I have a large family. In the past we've drawn for names, couples have bought another couple a gift, singles bought each other a gift. This year all the sibs got put together in the hat and I have my 17 year old sister, whom I used to know quite well but it's been close to 10 years since we lived together, and we usually share in "small talk" so I can't say I know her well anymore. I am much closer to my married sibs.

She likes horses, and rides competitively; I know next to nothing about horses (we didn't have the money or land when I was a kid). She ran for Homecoming Queen this year and came in as an attendant. She was on the track team and did very well in her divisions. This week she got a letter of acceptance to the college of her choice. She isn't big on computers and electronics beyond using her laptop to do schoolwork and Facebook. She already has a cell phone, with her choice of music downloaded on it.

I don't know where to start on picking out something meaningful that she can take to college and won't just sit in storage, gathering dust. Help?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »

I'll start:

I'd say full-blown version in general, but it kind of depends on the overlap between the two.

If all or most of the episodes in the 25-episode set are also in the 50-episode set, definitely go for the 50. Because they'll probably want to see the other episodes too and then they'll have to buy a set that's half redundant to fill out their collection, if that makes sense.

If they're completely or mostly different, I think just go by whether they're just hugely obsessed with Carol Burnett or whether they actually like these other shows too.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
I have a large family. In the past we've drawn for names, couples have bought another couple a gift, singles bought each other a gift. This year all the sibs got put together in the hat and I have my 17 year old sister, whom I used to know quite well but it's been close to 10 years since we lived together, and we usually share in "small talk" so I can't say I know her well anymore. I am much closer to my married sibs.

She likes horses, and rides competitively; I know next to nothing about horses (we didn't have the money or land when I was a kid). She ran for Homecoming Queen this year and came in as an attendant. She was on the track team and did very well in her divisions. This week she got a letter of acceptance to the college of her choice. She isn't big on computers and electronics beyond using her laptop to do schoolwork and Facebook. She already has a cell phone, with her choice of music downloaded on it.

I don't know where to start on picking out something meaningful that she can take to college and won't just sit in storage, gathering dust. Help?

I'd go for something with her college-of-choice's logo on it.

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 12:42:13 PM »

Anyone got any ideas?

Does he already have editing software he likes?  If not, could you get him Lightroom or Photoshop?

MindsEye

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »

So far he has a new camera (which he knows about, since he picked it out). Last year he got a monopod and also has a gorillapod - something photography-related would be great, but I don't know much about it.

Have you tried http://photojojo.com/store/?  They are awesome and finding and offering wacky and off-beat camera stuff. 

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 01:38:52 PM »

Anyone got any ideas?

Is he into vintage basketball photography?  You might be able to find something really interesting on Ebay, or in a sports museum (if there's one in your city, or you live in an NBA city).  A friend of mine collects vintage Yankees photos, but of course that's the wrong sport  ;D.  Still, finding a great print and having it framed would be cool!

I wonder if that show Finding Bigfoot is out on DVD yet.  One episode was filmed partly in my brother's Oregon back yard :).

mandycorn

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
I need to get my brother in law a Christmas gift and I'm sort of at a loss. He loves computers and just finished building his own from scratch. He also likes reading fantasy books (I think Terry Pratchet is his fav author) and playing some online games (but of course I don't know which ones, just that they aren't World of Warcraft). The other thing is that he and my sister just found out that she's pregnant, and they don't have a ton of money, but I don't know if I should get him something "new father" oriented or just give him cash/gift card so they can use it on baby stuff if they would prefer that.

Does anybody have any good suggestions? I've budgeted up to $50 for his gift.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

mandycorn

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »

I'd go for something with her college-of-choice's logo on it.

I'd also suggest a college hoodie or sweat pants for her if you know her size. I got towels and luggage as gifts right before I went to college and am still using both of those, but I think they were graduation gifts rather than Christmas. As soon as I got accepted, I also decked out my car with college window stickers and a license plate holder, so you might be able to do something like that.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln