Author Topic: Xmas gift quandaries . . . open to all  (Read 6987 times)

Amara

Re: Xmas gift quandaries . . . open to all
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 07:27:30 PM »
How about a puzzle for the ten-year-old boy? I wonder if this one, which I own and am, years later, still working on, would be too hard? If not, it's amazing.
http://www.britishmuseumshoponline.org/rosetta-stone-jigsaw-puzzle/invt/cmcp86010/

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 08:05:15 PM »
Nevermind.

eta: after second thought, I decided to remove my post. Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:08:43 PM by jpcher »

Firecat

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 12:50:36 AM »
Does he already have editing software he likes?  If not, could you get him Lightroom or Photoshop?

He does - I've suggested Photoshop before but he doesn't think he'll ever learn to use it fully.

1) hopefully I did not just murder the quote tree
2) depending on your budget, and his interest, (and I guess your location) would Photoshop + a Photoshop class be an idea?  My dad has been using Photoshop for a while, and takes classes sometimes still.  He's in a fairly large city, so I don't know how common the classes are elsewhere.

I'll run that by him before I fork out. I've offered him photography classes before and he's turned them down because he doesn't want to "deal with people" (he's really not as miserable as that makes him sound, honest!)

Does he have a camera bag he likes? Or maybe one of those photographer's vests with all the pockets plus some memory cards for the camera? Is there another lens he might like? Or a backup drive for storing photos?

Just as a general thing, before gift-giving occasions, my DH and I have a system. We go to places we like to shop, and will take turns dropping "hints" of things we'd like. The other person is always free to get something not on the list, but at least it gives us a place to start. And since we give more hints than we actually get gifts for each other, some of the element of surprise is still there.

Arrynne

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 01:29:45 AM »
Just an open thread for everybody to post their thoughts or questions, looking for advice or suggestions of what would be the best gift to give.

Getting gifts for DH is a nightmare, since when he wants something he just buys it, so I have to try and come up with something he either can't afford or doesn't know he wants.

So far he has a new camera (which he knows about, since he picked it out). Last year he got a monopod and also has a gorillapod - something photography-related would be great, but I don't know much about it. He's into basketball, cryptozoology, watches (sadly, very expensive watches), shoes of all kinds especially trainers, and loves his chocolate. All areas I know little about so am reluctant to come back with something that looks dumb to a connoisseur.

Anyone got any ideas?

An external flash?

shadowfox79

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 04:54:07 AM »
Just an open thread for everybody to post their thoughts or questions, looking for advice or suggestions of what would be the best gift to give.

Getting gifts for DH is a nightmare, since when he wants something he just buys it, so I have to try and come up with something he either can't afford or doesn't know he wants.

So far he has a new camera (which he knows about, since he picked it out). Last year he got a monopod and also has a gorillapod - something photography-related would be great, but I don't know much about it. He's into basketball, cryptozoology, watches (sadly, very expensive watches), shoes of all kinds especially trainers, and loves his chocolate. All areas I know little about so am reluctant to come back with something that looks dumb to a connoisseur.

Anyone got any ideas?

What kind of camera?  If it's not a strictly professional one, the grip on it may not be big enough for him.  Maybe check out a battery grip for him?

Good idea. I'll check.

shadowfox79

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 04:54:50 AM »

Anyone got any ideas?

An external flash?

I think he's got one.

shadowfox79

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 04:55:19 AM »
Does he already have editing software he likes?  If not, could you get him Lightroom or Photoshop?

He does - I've suggested Photoshop before but he doesn't think he'll ever learn to use it fully.

1) hopefully I did not just murder the quote tree
2) depending on your budget, and his interest, (and I guess your location) would Photoshop + a Photoshop class be an idea?  My dad has been using Photoshop for a while, and takes classes sometimes still.  He's in a fairly large city, so I don't know how common the classes are elsewhere.

I'll run that by him before I fork out. I've offered him photography classes before and he's turned them down because he doesn't want to "deal with people" (he's really not as miserable as that makes him sound, honest!)

Does he have a camera bag he likes? Or maybe one of those photographer's vests with all the pockets plus some memory cards for the camera? Is there another lens he might like? Or a backup drive for storing photos?

Just as a general thing, before gift-giving occasions, my DH and I have a system. We go to places we like to shop, and will take turns dropping "hints" of things we'd like. The other person is always free to get something not on the list, but at least it gives us a place to start. And since we give more hints than we actually get gifts for each other, some of the element of surprise is still there.

The vest is a good idea. Thanks.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »
This year all the sibs got put together in the hat and I have my 17 year old sister, whom I used to know quite well but it's been close to 10 years since we lived together, and we usually share in "small talk" so I can't say I know her well anymore. I am much closer to my married sibs.

She likes horses, and rides competitively; I know next to nothing about horses (we didn't have the money or land when I was a kid). She ran for Homecoming Queen this year and came in as an attendant. She was on the track team and did very well in her divisions. This week she got a letter of acceptance to the college of her choice. She isn't big on computers and electronics beyond using her laptop to do schoolwork and Facebook. She already has a cell phone, with her choice of music downloaded on it.

I don't know where to start on picking out something meaningful that she can take to college and won't just sit in storage, gathering dust. Help?

Since she's athletic, she takes care of her body. Since it's been 10 years that you've been drifting apart . . . What about a massage treatment? You getting one, too, then treat her to lunch. Or some such gift of time that the two of you can do together (mani/pedi?) before she goes off to college and drifts away even further.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 11:59:07 AM »
How about something for a 10 year old boy? My nephew is super into Legos, Super Mario Galaxy and anything else Wii. However my budget is in the $20 to $25 range and I generally prefer not to give electronics.

Super into Legos . . . sounds like he likes building stuff. What about getting him into robotics, building things with something other than Legos?

http://www.target.com/p/meccano-easy-construction-box-green/-/A-13553680#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton

Anything else with electrical parts and movement gets beyond your price range, but this might be a start?

Here's a site that I found (click on the blue "Step 1" sub-heads for detailed instructions) that teaches how to build your own robot for $50. Maybe a book along these lines or something like that? 10 yrs. old might be a bit young, but with adult help? I can see a 10 yr old boy jumping with excitement!

http://societyofrobots.com/step_by_step_robot.shtml

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »

Here's a thought for training classes, since he doesn't want to "deal with people" . . . http://www.lynda.com/ . . . on-line training.

Check out the tutorials on Photography. Plus there are plenty of "classes" for Photoshop.

Just a thought.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 01:36:47 PM »
Just to give the other side, when I was pregnant with my DS, someone gave me a blanket for him as *my* Christmas present.  I know it sounds petty but it kind of hurt.  I still had 5 months to go so it wasn't like I needed a blanket for him right then.  Maybe it was my hormones but it made me feel bad, like they couldn't be bothered to find something that I would like so they just bought for the baby.  Maybe it would be different for a guy, just wanted to offer my 2 cents.

I agree with this.

mandycorn -- try to stay away from a baby-type gift. This might be the last "All about BIL" gift that he'll receive for a long time.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 01:39:15 PM »
I had a great idea for DS2's Christmas present- we were going to get him a really nice football (soccer). Guess what he's just got for his birthday? Yup. That's right. Back to square one.
NE England

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, 01:35:28 AM »
How about something for a 10 year old boy? My nephew is super into Legos, Super Mario Galaxy and anything else Wii. However my budget is in the $20 to $25 range and I generally prefer not to give electronics.

Legos are a major enterprise now - they make board games, funny t-shirts, electronics kits, video games, etc.  You could probably find something Lego-themed without it actually being Legos.

I was talking to my sister today and she said he's really been into reading The Hobbit (kid takes after his favorite aunt!). I googled Legos and Hobbit and found a $25 Lego Hobbit board game, which is currently en route to my mother's house. (Since most of us travel, we ship all our gifts to my mother's house. She becomes very good friends with the FedEx guy.)

And with that, my Christmas shopping is done. Feel free to be jealous.

pwy a wyr

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, 02:57:01 AM »
I need to get my brother in law a Christmas gift and I'm sort of at a loss. He loves computers and just finished building his own from scratch. He also likes reading fantasy books (I think Terry Pratchet is his fav author) and playing some online games (but of course I don't know which ones, just that they aren't World of Warcraft). The other thing is that he and my sister just found out that she's pregnant, and they don't have a ton of money, but I don't know if I should get him something "new father" oriented or just give him cash/gift card so they can use it on baby stuff if they would prefer that.

Does anybody have any good suggestions? I've budgeted up to $50 for his gift.

I got my husband a cinema gift card just before our baby was born. There are tons of good films out this year, and once the baby's there, they probably won't want to spend money on the cinema. That might be a good gift for him.

demarco

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, 07:12:01 AM »
My DH is a serious gardener and has requested a garden item or book, among other things. This is not as easy as it may sound because I know little about gardening and he knows so much. He already has many gardening books and tools. I don't even know what he has. I imagine this is a problem for anyone trying to buy something for the serious hobbyist. They either have it already or they don't want it. I think my best bet is to get a recently published book.  Any ideas?