Author Topic: Xmas gift quandaries . . . open to all  (Read 6125 times)

MindsEye

Re: Xmas gift quandaries . . . open to all
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2012, 08:21:04 AM »
What is a good present for a relative (young, fairly geeky/science-oriented, just finished grad school) who is going to be moving cross country by car right after New Years and only plans on taking with them what can fit in said car? 

I got him a couple of gift cards (Amazon, Target) to help with setting up his new apartment, but that just doesn't feel festive to me, especially since we will be seeing each other for Christmas, and I would like to wrap up and give him something besides gift cards.  And my normal go-to of homemade goodies looks like it won't work because of the car-based move.

Any ideas?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
What is a good present for a relative (young, fairly geeky/science-oriented, just finished grad school) who is going to be moving cross country by car right after New Years and only plans on taking with them what can fit in said car? 

I got him a couple of gift cards (Amazon, Target) to help with setting up his new apartment, but that just doesn't feel festive to me, especially since we will be seeing each other for Christmas, and I would like to wrap up and give him something besides gift cards.  And my normal go-to of homemade goodies looks like it won't work because of the car-based move.

Any ideas?

How about a small emergency gas can, with a gas card attached?  If he's driving across country, it could definitely come in handy!  That'll give you something to wrap up, if nothing else.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2012, 10:24:45 AM »

Any ideas?

Go to thinkgeek.com. You can get him something fun for his car, a travel mug, etc.

MindsEye

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »

How about a small emergency gas can, with a gas card attached?  If he's driving across country, it could definitely come in handy!  That'll give you something to wrap up, if nothing else.

Oh, that's a good idea!  Maybe a small emergency kit for the car - gas can, thermal blanket, flares....

Thanks!

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2012, 10:41:14 AM »
^ Perfect.  Maybe even add a small First Aid kit.  I also have this little mini tool kit that is about the size of a paperback.  Fits easily under the seat.  Maybe even a small fire extinguisher?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »
ThinkGeek has a coffee cup-shaped power inverter for the car—that would come in very handy if he needs to charge or run anything.

And a question for me—I picked a coworker for "secret snowman." She's on a diet so generic food gifts are out, and I'm completely stumped otherwise. She works in a different office so I can't discreetly stalk her to see what sorts of things she likes.
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

dawbs

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2012, 11:28:05 AM »
ThinkGeek has a coffee cup-shaped power inverter for the car—that would come in very handy if he needs to charge or run anything.

And a question for me—I picked a coworker for "secret snowman." She's on a diet so generic food gifts are out, and I'm completely stumped otherwise. She works in a different office so I can't discreetly stalk her to see what sorts of things she likes.

I'm assuming there's a price limit..

Nice office supplies?
(good post its, gel pens, etc)
Deck of cards
there are good 'diet' hot cocoa type things + a mug

mandycorn

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2012, 11:46:49 AM »

A little USB-powered something for her desk? I have a cute little snowman right now and I've seen trees and things like that also.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

MindsEye

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2012, 12:19:54 PM »

Maybe a nice holiday ornament?  Something that she can put on her tree?
Or a giftcard to amazon or Barnes & Noble?  That way if she likes books, she can get something to read, and if she is not a big reader she can get some music or a movie.
If you want to get something for her desk, maybe one of those daily calendars that have a word a day or a joke a day...

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2012, 01:36:55 PM »
Oops, yes, the price limit is $15. I meant to opt out, but totally forgot to. (I wish it was opt-in!) Gift cards aren't allowed.  :'(

I like the idea of a page-a-day calendar... would Dilbert be overly cynical? (if it was any one of my other coworkers, it'd be a shoo-in for a cat calendar, but this one isn't one of us Crazy Cat Ladies.)
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Firecat

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
Maybe one of those word-a-day calendars, or something like that, if you don't want to get Dilbert. Or Thinkgeek.com has some fun desk things that would be within your price limit.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2012, 02:14:55 PM »
If your workplace has its moments but is generally a good place to work, I think Dilbert would be fine.  If it was the type of workplace, though, that has everyone sending out applications elsewhere?  I'd find something else.   :)
Ontario

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 06:49:09 PM »
I've got my family all taken care of, but I have no idea what to do for some of DH's kin  :-\

SIL1: <snip> She does have a decent sense of style - her personal tastes run toward animal prints and the 1980s in general, but she has a way of making tacky stuff look good (in both clothing and decor).

How about a fashion scarf like http://www.dressbarn.com/accessories/scarves-wraps?page=1 (there's a nice zebra print on pg. 2)

Niece (SIL1's daughter): 20ish, lives with her other grandparents, raising a 3-year-old boy without the father in the picture and is doing a fairly decent job of it (or so I hear).  Works at a teen clothing shop at the mall.  She's always been a bit of the social-butterfly-cheerleader type, but has grown up a lot in the last few years and added a layer of responsibility which far outstrips SIL1.

This sounds like a pampering gift is called for. Maybe some bubble bath stuff or body lotions or a nail kit (a couple of different nail polishes, emory boards, hand creams) something along those lines.

Just a suggestion: http://www.amazon.com/Earth-Therapeutics-Foot-Doctor-Pedicure/dp/B000I6KRIG/ref=sr_1_9?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1355355116&sr=1-9

Nephew (SIL1's son): 16(?), also lives with Niece and his other grandparents.  Average kid, average student, plays a lot of sports-related video games but plays no actual sports.  Doesn't have an opinion about anything.

<snip>

I'm thinking I might give Nephew some sort of food - three cases of Mountain Dew or something equally ridiculous - because I did the smarmy t-shirt thing last year.

Hmmmm this one's a toughy. Instead of 3 cases, get 1 case and some powerbars, a variety pack of potato chips (you know, the kind that has 20 individual-serving bags). Throw in a few chocolate bars and maybe a box of fruit roll-ups or gushers.

I really don't want to suggest the above because it's so far beyond healthy, but it goes along with the Mountain Dew. Plus! It's xmas! The one time of year you get what you WANT! and, to a 16yr old boy? you'll probably be the coolest Aunt in the world! ;D

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2012, 10:36:54 PM »
Ooh, thanks - a pashmina would be perfect.  (I have no problem admitting that SIL1 has more fashion sense than I do, so I normally hesitate to assume she'd like my style choices, but I could definitely see her integrating a good scarf with her many wardrobe choices.)