Author Topic: Planning a trip to St. John's, Newfoundland in April  (Read 1395 times)

glinda

Planning a trip to St. John's, Newfoundland in April
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »
Are there any Newfoundlander's out there or people who have travelled there in the early spring?

Just looking for tips on the weather and things to do or see.

Or great places to eat!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Planning a trip to St. John's, Newfoundland in April
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »
I'm jealous!  I haven't been but I see their commercials on TV and it makes me want to go.  Someday soon...

My brother and his wife went on their honeymoon but they were there in July, I think.  They went for a hike in Gros Morne National Park.  It was nice when they started but by the time they got to the top, the fog had socked in and it was tricky following the trail markers.  They would walk until they could just see the marker behind them.  Then my SIL would stay put while my brother walked towards the next marker.  When it came into sight, he could just see my SIL and she would walk up to him and they'd go to the next marker together and repeat the process.  My brother was also prepared with a little one burner camp stove and some cup a soup so when they got a little cold and a little tired, they had a nice, hot, little pick-me-up.  And they had extra fleeces in the pack, too.

April could be iffy on weather.  You may be lucky or you may get hammered with a spring snowstorm.  So my advice would be to have lots of layers, as well as a good waterproof jacket - Gortex or similar.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

glinda

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:25:30 PM »
Thank you!

We're from Thunder Bay so we are going to dress like we would at home.

That is my only worry actually. That snowstorm that leaves us stuck there.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:41:57 AM »
DH is a Newfie, I'll ask him for some tips and get back to ya on that. We're taking a trip in August to see the family and for me to meet them.

glinda

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:24:46 PM »
Thank you!  :)

canadian_kelly

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
I'm a Newfie (first post!) and there's lots to do here.

I recommend seeing The Rooms (musuem), Cabot Tower on Signal Hill, and Cape Spear.  The Botanical gardens has a lovely walk where you can see local plant life.  Bowring Park is a nice place with trails and pretty statues.

Hiking on the East Coast trail is amazing (weather permitting).  A boat tour is also usually great - either Gatheralls or O'Brien's.  If you like geocaching, that's a really fun way to fill some time.

There are loads of little shops and cafes in downtown St. John's on Water St. and Duckworth. Any day spent strolling there is a good one.

My favourite spot to eat is a little diner-type place called Jasmines (1 Dunns Rd). The food is yummy and you can't beat the service. The Keg downtown is also fabulous but a little pricier.

Weather wise, pack for any season because there's no telling what you'll get.  Be sure to bring waterproof boots and coat.

Enjoy!!!!!!

Are there any Newfoundlander's out there or people who have travelled there in the early spring?

Just looking for tips on the weather and things to do or see.

Or great places to eat!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

glinda

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »
Thank you very much for the suggestions they are greatly appreciated!

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »
Highly recommended, eat at Chess's fish & chips, and George Street to drink, and if you will have a rental car, go to Cape Spear, it's the most easterly point in north america. Also, bring warm clothes.