Author Topic: Should I correct the teacher?  (Read 6656 times)

Eeep!

Re: Should I correct the teacher?
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2013, 11:39:45 PM »
I corrected my kindergarten teacher over a "Whose Lost Teeth?" bulletin board and she never really forgave me.  (I'm guessing I didn't do it with much tact).  I do think there's a difference between true typos - missin letters, incorrect punctuation! and the like - and errors like "pedals" where the mistake is more likely to be in the knowledge than in the transcription.  The former are one-off mistakes; the latter are more likely to be repeated (and possibly taught in place of the correct alternatives).
Well......who did the teeth belong to?

Hahaha! I'm a little slow and I really was picturing a bulletin board with pictures of teeth.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2013, 11:52:48 PM »
I corrected my kindergarten teacher over a "Whose Lost Teeth?" bulletin board and she never really forgave me.  (I'm guessing I didn't do it with much tact).  I do think there's a difference between true typos - missin letters, incorrect punctuation! and the like - and errors like "pedals" where the mistake is more likely to be in the knowledge than in the transcription.  The former are one-off mistakes; the latter are more likely to be repeated (and possibly taught in place of the correct alternatives).

I would think that most teachers would realize that whenever one is making a poster, mistakes are more likely than not.  And its important to get another pair of eyes on it.

It's because your brain is focusing on putting the letters on the poster, spacing them out, making them big enough.  The focus is more art than spelling.  It's pretty common to make mistakes doing that.

Then again, sometimes people just don't know how to spell.

My mother once helped out in the kindergarten in my elementary school.  I was in 2nd grade at the time.  Don't know why she was helping out there, maybe they needed the help?

The teacher had misspelled the word "calendar."  She had written "er" instead of "ar."

Now, my mother was not a native English speaker but she could read and write perfect English.  This did not sit well with her.  And while she said nothing to anyone at the school, I think I heard her recount it for at least 20 years or more.   ;)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »

I'm trying to see where everyone else is coming from....but I am still balking at it.  Maybe because I don't know how I would "backpetal"  :P after having told my kids not to correct people. 

I can just see it.....after wincing with embarrassment when my eldest daughter admonished a smoker and telling her that it was not OK to call her out even though we know smoking is bad for you.....I don't think I could bring myself to correct the teacher.  Practise what I preach I guess....

You're not correcting her. You're alerting her. You're providing information she's not aware of.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »
Hmm, well I'm late and I see it's been resolved but

1) Did anyone else think of the Quayle potatoe and snigger?  >:D

2) I am feeling silly today and think a bicycle flower would be awesome. ;D

Ooooo! Bad word riddle:

Q: How did the bee ride the flower?
A: He pushed on the petals.

BWAHAHAHAHA! ...
 ??? *crickets*
 :-[*cough*
And exit stage left...
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »

Interesting that you should bring that up because the reason that Dan Quayle questioned whether the student had spelled the word correctly or not was because the school had spelled it incorrectly on the materials that were provided.   Now, you can argue as to whether or not he should have trusted his own judgment rather than rely on the paper that the school provided but that's another kind of mistake altogether.  The fact is that the school provided the misspelling.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2013, 10:22:32 PM »

Interesting that you should bring that up because the reason that Dan Quayle questioned whether the student had spelled the word correctly or not was because the school had spelled it incorrectly on the materials that were provided.   Now, you can argue as to whether or not he should have trusted his own judgment rather than rely on the paper that the school provided but that's another kind of mistake altogether.  The fact is that the school provided the misspelling.

I hadn't heard that! That's very interesting.

I never thought it was all that big an indicator of his intelligence. His spelling, maybe, but plenty of smart people can't spell. (Not that I was a Dan Quayle fan--just that I thought that issue was a total red herring.)