General Etiquette > Life...in general

The 'stolen' turkey dinner... UPD #331 p23

<< < (56/71) > >>

NyaChan:
Reminds me of my HS teacher - She used to be a huge donor for a local fundraising race.  She'd have all us students drum up money and support, donate the money, take the awesome prizes like a big screen tv and then give us the hats and t-shirts that came with it.

jedikaiti:

--- Quote from: Softly Spoken on December 04, 2012, 07:29:32 PM ---I've been involved in a few auction fiascoes (as the prize donor not the bidder/winner) and I am not surprised that this happened. All too often a charity fundraiser degenerates into backbiting and ridiculous entitlement - when the whole point is supposed to be about giving to others! >:(

I don't know what it is about charity auctions that turn people into gimme pigs. When we ran a party business together, my friend and I came to loathe the "auction parties" - we had done them for publicity but quickly realized NOT WORTH IT and NEVER AGAIN! :P

So yeah that's me ranty two cents...anyways, update plz?  ;D *does Puss n Boots eyes*

--- End quote ---

Any good stories to entertain us while we wait for updates?

Softly Spoken:

--- Quote from: jedikaiti on December 04, 2012, 08:44:51 PM ---
--- Quote from: Softly Spoken on December 04, 2012, 07:29:32 PM ---I've been involved in a few auction fiascoes (as the prize donor not the bidder/winner) and I am not surprised that this happened. All too often a charity fundraiser degenerates into backbiting and ridiculous entitlement - when the whole point is supposed to be about giving to others! >:(

I don't know what it is about charity auctions that turn people into gimme pigs. When we ran a party business together, my friend and I came to loathe the "auction parties" - we had done them for publicity but quickly realized NOT WORTH IT and NEVER AGAIN! :P

So yeah that's me ranty two cents...anyways, update plz?  ;D *does Puss n Boots eyes*

--- End quote ---

Any good stories to entertain us while we wait for updates?

--- End quote ---

::) Wellllll I suppose they should go in that "Special Snowflake" thread but let's see...

We hosted themed children's parties and sold party "packages" - the basic Silver and then the Gold with the extra bells and whistles. We donated a Silver Party package to a nearby school to get our name out there and make good community PR. Then the mom who won it calls and it's special requests out to wazoo. Basically trying to get us up to Gold without paying any extra money. With the rental of the place where we held the parties our profit margins were pretty non-existent - we rationalized the auction parties as write-off/publicity/ad expense but quickly realized that dealing with the entitlement of the parents who got them wasn't worth it. The kids were usually great (or at least managable and if all else failed easily intimitated ;)) - it was the parents who were high maintenance terrors. I think the last straw was the auction winner who brought in twice as many people as has been agreed on and tried to turn it into an adult party, when the adults were just supposed to drop the kids off. Our little party house filled to twice the maximum capacity and everyone griping to us that there wasn't enough parking, seating or party supplies - my friend (who owned the business with her mom) was this close to making a bunch of kids orphans that day! >:D

I've honestly blocked out most of them but I remember we would flag scheduled parties as dangerous - i.e. "oh crud, this one's an Auction Party" and then brace ourselves. I would watch my friend answer the phone: "Hello? What's that? You won one of our parties at your school's raffle?" *looks at me and mime's shooting herself in the head.* Oh that's wonderful let me see what we have available..." ::)

Oh yeah, pushy entitled parents = fun times.

Eden:
I had a dream about the Turkey Thief last night! I really don't remember the details but it was something like she inadvertently outed herself to me and I believe I called her out on it. It was very therapeutic and I wasn't even involved in the incident! I highly recommend dream confrontations. They are fantastic.

Stormtreader:
So did the OPs sister ever go back to the church to ask what the heck went on with her missing dinner?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version