Author Topic: The 'stolen' turkey dinner... UPD #331 p23  (Read 50170 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: The 'stolen' turkey dinner...
« Reply #165 on: November 27, 2012, 05:52:32 PM »
OP, was the deli still doing turkey dinners on Friday?  If they mentioned to the donor that Thirsday was the last day turkey dinners were available I could see writing it down as a "deadline" so the buyer would know.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #166 on: November 27, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »
I'm confused . . . the OP says the sister called Thursday.  Wasn't that within the deadline?

SiotehCat

« Reply #167 on: November 27, 2012, 05:54:50 PM »
Had Sis contacted the deli before the expiration date I would have a different opinion - but the bottom line is that she missed the expiration date.

For a pre-cooked meal - it's not like she could go in on Friday and pick up just any sweater.  It was clearly indicated that this was for a meal to be picked up by THURSDAY.

Yes, still a shady way to donate but a deadline was given.  And calling everyday to check on the meal then swooping in at the last minute to snatch it - very shady. The deli owner could have just said sorry you missed the Thursday turkey deadline.  His offering of the other information was none of her business anyway but if he hadn't we wouldn't have this thread to discuss.   

Nope. The "Bottom Line" is that the "expiration date" wasn't valid, it was an arbitrary restriction placed by Turkey Lady on a purchase that had already been made from the deli.

Turkey Lady was the one making the donation. Why doesn't she get to put an expiration date on it?

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #168 on: November 27, 2012, 05:55:06 PM »
OP, was the deli still doing turkey dinners on Friday?  If they mentioned to the donor that Thirsday was the last day turkey dinners were available I could see writing it down as a "deadline" so the buyer would know.

That still wouldn't excuse her constant calling, or her swooping in to pick up the dinner.
Utah

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #169 on: November 27, 2012, 05:55:18 PM »
I'm confused . . . the OP says the sister called Thursday.  Wasn't that within the deadline?

The sister got updated information form her sister.  Sis actually called Friday which is why she thought they might give her chicken instead of turkey.

thedudeabides

« Reply #170 on: November 27, 2012, 05:56:22 PM »
Had Sis contacted the deli before the expiration date I would have a different opinion - but the bottom line is that she missed the expiration date.

For a pre-cooked meal - it's not like she could go in on Friday and pick up just any sweater.  It was clearly indicated that this was for a meal to be picked up by THURSDAY.

Yes, still a shady way to donate but a deadline was given.  And calling everyday to check on the meal then swooping in at the last minute to snatch it - very shady. The deli owner could have just said sorry you missed the Thursday turkey deadline.  His offering of the other information was none of her business anyway but if he hadn't we wouldn't have this thread to discuss.   

Nope. The "Bottom Line" is that the "expiration date" wasn't valid, it was an arbitrary restriction placed by Turkey Lady on a purchase that had already been made from the deli.

Turkey Lady was the one making the donation. Why doesn't she get to put an expiration date on it?

Because she isn't the business offering the product.  If they're still selling turkey dinners after Thanksgiving Day for the people who don't celebrate it on that day, it's none of her business what day the auction winner picks the product up.

SiotehCat

« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2012, 05:56:32 PM »

That still wouldn't excuse her constant calling, or her swooping in to pick up the dinner.

Her constant calling and then swooping in seems a littler shady. Sure. That still doesn't change the fact that OP's sister missed the deadline.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2012, 05:56:39 PM »

The sister got updated information form her sister.  Sis actually called Friday which is why she thought they might give her chicken instead of turkey.

Whoops!  I did read that and didn't retain.  Thanks, and sorry.

Moray

« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2012, 05:56:47 PM »

Because when she donated the item to the church (i.e. "gave the gift"), it ceased being hers. She lost all claim to it. Period.
Utah

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #174 on: November 27, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »
Missing the deadline doesn't give the TurkeyLady the right to claim it.  It's not hers anymore. 

PurpleyBlue

• Big Girl Getting Thin
« Reply #175 on: November 27, 2012, 05:57:26 PM »

Regardless of who put the expiration date on it, the OP stated that the woman picked the meal up on Thursday.  Her self-imposed "expiration date" wasn't even up by then.  Technically, the OP's sister had until the deli closed on Thursday to pick it up.  In my mind, the woman stole the dinner either way.  But, even if she was somehow entitled to it after the OP's sister let it expire, she still swooped in before the deadline and took something that wasn't hers.

SiotehCat

« Reply #176 on: November 27, 2012, 05:58:01 PM »

Because when she donated the item to the church (i.e. "gave the gift"), it ceased being hers. She lost all claim to it. Period.

If she donated the item to the church, with the expiration date already set by her, then the church can choose to decline it. They didn't.

Moray

« Reply #177 on: November 27, 2012, 06:00:30 PM »
Missing the deadline doesn't give the TurkeyLady the right to claim it.  It's not hers anymore. 

Winner, winner, turkey dinner!
Utah

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #178 on: November 27, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »

Yes, this. At that point, expired or not, wasted or not, whether Sis ate it or fed it to her cats or ritually burned it, the one thing that is absolutely for sure is that Turkey Lady does not receive it. Let's take Sis trying to claim it completely out of the equation. If it goes to waste at the store or the employees eat it so it won't get thrown out, it still does not revert to Turkey Lady. It isn't hers anymore, morally. Legally it might be, as she paid for it, never told them it was for an auction, and it was in her name (though her giving it to the church might make it legally not-hers too). But morally, ethically, and etiquettely, it is not her turkey anymore and she doesn't get to take it back.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 06:04:42 PM by Yvaine »

CaptainObvious

« Reply #179 on: November 27, 2012, 06:05:13 PM »
In all actuality, the deli probably donated the meal to the church. My feeling is that the Turkey Lady was the middle man and had zero rights to the dinner.

It isn't unusual for Church Members to solicit donations on behalf of the Church. But I can't see a business donating the meal to this woman.