Author Topic: The 'stolen' turkey dinner... UPD #331 p23  (Read 55672 times)

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
Re: The 'stolen' turkey dinner...
« Reply #195 on: November 27, 2012, 07:55:42 PM »
I've decided to lock the topic in order to allow people to catch up on their reading so that the discussion can continue constructively.

The thread will be reopened in a few hours.

ETA thread unlocked.  Stay on topic and stay civil.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 03:06:06 PM by Wordgeek »

Otterpop

« Reply #196 on: November 29, 2012, 03:18:05 PM »
Yay!!! I'm glad this thread was unlocked.  Thank you Moderator.

OP, we are hoping for an update.  Just when you think you've heard it all, somebody comes up with another way to circumvent social graces!  Can't wait to hear the resolution.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #197 on: November 29, 2012, 03:21:36 PM »
Posting for updates.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #198 on: November 29, 2012, 04:36:59 PM »
Yes, and thanks for the temporary hold so everyone could catch up. This thread was going at Warp 9 for a while there!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

katiescarlett

« Reply #199 on: November 29, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »
Also posting for updates.   :)

LifeOnPluto

• Super Hero!
    • Blog
« Reply #200 on: November 29, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »
Hooray! Was beginning to think the mods had decided to keep this thread permanently locked.

On topic, regardless of whether the deadline was imposed by Turkey Lady, or the Deli, TL had absolutely no right to claim it before the deadline.

She might have had a case if she'd phoned the deli on Friday morning (ie after the deadline had passed) and said "Hey, by any chance, did the raffle winner NOT pick up the turkey dinner? And if they didn't do you still have it?" But even then, the polite thing would be for TL to call the OP's sis and remind her about her unclaimed prize...

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #201 on: November 30, 2012, 09:02:57 AM »
Thanks for re-opening.

OP, I'm curious about the type of store providing the turkey dinner.  I was imagining one like a Logan's Farm where Pre-ordering isn't really required because they gave mains and sides Pre-made and you can pick one up pretty much anytime. 

But is it a grocery store deli that only makes the dinners if Pre-ordered and they only sell them during a short time during the holidays?

Syfygeek

« Reply #202 on: November 30, 2012, 09:46:04 AM »
I've been following this, and can't wait to hear more from the OP about what her sis decided to do- But, in the meantime, I thought I'd give my experience in Store Bought Turkey Dinners.

I worked at Kroger's, and in order to get Thanksgiving day off, I would work the night shift the Tuesday and Wednesday before Thanksgiving packing dinners.  We had them sorted by what was in it, not by name.  So we'd have orders for 200 standard dinners on Wednesday, and we'd pack up 250 or so and keep them in the cooler. Then we'd do the specials (ones with odd sides or whatever), these would be labeled by name.  And repeat the next night...  We generally had people picking up dinners Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and a smaller number of orders for Saturday.

Based on that experience, had I been the OP's sister, I would have thought that calling on Friday, I'd have a good shot at getting a dinner, especially since there should be one that hasn't been picked up.

We frequently had customers come to the counter wanting a dinner without preordering, and that's why we always had a few extras on hand.  And whatever dinners didn't get picked up, went into the hot bar as turkey pieces, or casserole.
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Eden

« Reply #203 on: November 30, 2012, 10:13:48 AM »
I have nothing really to add to the conversation other than to express my utter fascination with it. People never cease to surprise me!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #204 on: November 30, 2012, 10:40:04 AM »
We oredered everything but the turkey for our dinner.  I think a lot of people order the whole thing or at least some sides. We had to order ahead and set up a pick up time.  I don't know if we hadn't picked it up by a certain time what they would have done with it - possibly sold it to somebody else? 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #205 on: November 30, 2012, 10:49:07 AM »
Every place I have ever heard of that does this requires advance orders.  Undoubtedly there is some customization for certain customers from time to time so I can't see an incident like this happening here.

Which opens the question of whether the turkey thief has gotten away with this before.

I hope we get an update.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2012, 11:02:03 AM »
I'm sure there were extra turkey dinners lying around, but the reason the deli wouldn't give the sister one is because someone else already got a dinner for *that* receipt.  They can't give away two dinners on one receipt.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2012, 11:13:17 AM »
I'm sure there were extra turkey dinners lying around, but the reason the deli wouldn't give the sister one is because someone else already got a dinner for *that* receipt.  They can't give away two dinners on one receipt.

Not to mention it was picked up with the original receipt, and not a photocopy. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »

This is the reason I don't think the deli has any responsibility.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »

This is the reason I don't think the deli has any responsibility.

Yeah, the deli thought they were doing exactly what they were supposed to do.