Author Topic: The 'stolen' turkey dinner... UPD #331 p23  (Read 52967 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: The 'stolen' turkey dinner...
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2012, 02:25:40 PM »
I doubt that since the item was paid for, as evidenced by the receipt, that the store would impose such a tight deadline for redeeming the voucher.  I could understand if the voucher might expire after one year, but certainly not in a matter of weeks. 

So if Turkey Lady was so worried about the turkey not being picked up by the expiration date, why did she put such a short time frame on the redemption period?

Sine it was an entire turkey dinner the store might only be producing those through the Thanksgiving Holiday.  Whether that would end Thursday or not, who knows.  My family did order an entire dinner form a restaurant one year and I don't know if we could have ordered it the day after (kind of doubt it) but I know for certain that the dinners are not available most of the year.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »
I doubt that since the item was paid for, as evidenced by the receipt, that the store would impose such a tight deadline for redeeming the voucher.  I could understand if the voucher might expire after one year, but certainly not in a matter of weeks. 

So if Turkey Lady was so worried about the turkey not being picked up by the expiration date, why did she put such a short time frame on the redemption period?

Sine it was an entire turkey dinner the store might only be producing those through the Thanksgiving Holiday.  Whether that would end Thursday or not, who knows.  My family did order an entire dinner form a restaurant one year and I don't know if we could have ordered it the day after (kind of doubt it) but I know for certain that the dinners are not available most of the year.

I would bet the deli had those dinners available through the holiday weekend to accommodate people who were celebrating on different days. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2012, 02:29:45 PM »
I think that is one of the issues many of us are curious about. It sounds like sis was doubtful that was the case since she was willing/expecting to accept a chicken dinner substitute.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »
I would bet the deli had those dinners available through the holiday weekend to accommodate people who were celebrating on different days.

If this place is like my grocery store, they would have.  My store still had Thanksgiving stuff available on Sunday night when I went.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »

If this place is like my grocery store, they would have.  My store still had Thanksgiving stuff available on Sunday night when I went.

Same here.  I can get a turkey dinner with all the trimmings any time of year I ask for it provided the store is open and I give them 72 hours of notice. 

CreteGirl

« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »

I can understand why the turkey dinner may not be available after Thanksgiving. But substituting the turkey dinner for chicken is a reasonable expectation, since the store had already been paid $50. 

Yes, I understand the dinner was already made and would have to been thrown out if not picked up.  I'm sure that is why the store typically does gift cards.  TL could have purchased a gift card, but instead chose to order a turkey to be prepared in time for Thanksgiving, instead of giving the successful bidder the option to order the turkey at a later date, such as for Christmas dinner.  Why put that type of stipulation, when the gift card would have been just as easy?  And even if the date was made known at the time of the auction, why decrease the amount of potential bidders by eliminating people who may have already bought their turkey or were going to other people's homes for Thanksgiving dinner.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2012, 02:37:43 PM »
Yes, I understand the dinner was already made and would have to been thrown out if not picked up.

No it doesn't!

Again, taking my own store as the example in my mind, that turkey and trimmings would have ended up in the "hot meat" thingy the next day.  You know, that area where they have roasted chickens and stuff.

Nothing would have "gone to waste" had no one picked this turkey dinner up.  It would have just been sold to someone else.  There was no dire need to rescue this turkey dinner from going into the garbage just because the OP's sis didn't pick it up before X:XX.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2012, 02:40:39 PM »
I think that is one of the issues many of us are curious about. It sounds like sis was doubtful that was the case since she was willing/expecting to accept a chicken dinner substitute.

Being willing to be flexible just in case they were out of turkey doesn't a wrong make.

lowspark

« Reply #233 on: November 30, 2012, 02:54:15 PM »
Here are a couple of questions which might not be answerable but I'm curious.

1. What happens, (in general), if someone reserves and pays for a turkey dinner but doesn't pick it up by whatever deadline the store actually does impose?
I looked on line at some sample places which are advertising turkey dinners for TG & Christmas and they usually give an exact time frame of when the meal must be picked up. None of them say what happens if you don't pick it up.

2. Would the deli have honored the photocopied receipt as a valid proof of purchase had the winning bidder actually tried to redeem it? There is a chance they might not have.

Again, though, this does not affect the fact that Turkey Lady took something which did not belong to her. Once she made the donation to the church, it belonged to the church. After that, any attempt by her to obtain the turkey dinner constitutes stealing.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »

2. Would the deli have honored the photocopied receipt as a valid proof of purchase had the winning bidder actually tried to redeem it? There is a chance they might not have.

I finally just got to the end of this thread and Lowspark asked the question I'd had all along.  I can't imagine that any deli would have accepted a photocopy of a receipt as being anything but a useless piece of trash.  They would require (I would think) either a gift card or the original receipt.

I think Turkey Lady knew this and I suspect that even had Sister gone in within the handwritten, and unexpectedly short, time frame to pick up her Turkey Dinner, the deli would not have honored her copy of a receipt.  How would they know that there weren't ten or a couple of hundred copies out there floating around?!   ???

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2012, 03:20:48 PM »

I finally just got to the end of this thread and Lowspark asked the question I'd had all along.  I can't imagine that any deli would have accepted a photocopy of a receipt as being anything but a useless piece of trash.  They would require (I would think) either a gift card or the original receipt.

I think Turkey Lady knew this and I suspect that even had Sister gone in within the handwritten, and unexpectedly short, time frame to pick up her Turkey Dinner, the deli would not have honored her copy of a receipt.  How would they know that there weren't ten or a couple of hundred copies out there floating around?!   ???

Very, very good point! Sis was never given anything valid to redeem.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2012, 03:22:33 PM »

Being willing to be flexible just in case they were out of turkey doesn't a wrong make.

Who said it did?  I mentioned it because people seemed to assume that there would still be turkey while sis who is familiar with this paticular store seemed to think there wouldn't.

O'Dell

« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
Here are a couple of questions which might not be answerable but I'm curious.

1. What happens, (in general), if someone reserves and pays for a turkey dinner but doesn't pick it up by whatever deadline the store actually does impose?
I looked on line at some sample places which are advertising turkey dinners for TG & Christmas and they usually give an exact time frame of when the meal must be picked up. None of them say what happens if you don't pick it up.

Again, though, this does not affect the fact that Turkey Lady took something which did not belong to her. Once she made the donation to the church, it belonged to the church. After that, any attempt by her to obtain the turkey dinner constitutes stealing.

I agree. The church needs to return the OP's money. At that point they have not gained or lost money. Then they can decide how to deal with the donator and/or thief. It's up to the church to investigate since they are the ones in a position to know who had access to the receipt and when it became the "copy" given to the OP's sister.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2012, 03:26:51 PM »

Who said it did?  I mentioned it because people seemed to assume that there would still be turkey while sis who is familiar with this paticular store seemed to think there wouldn't.

I'm thinking of this post from earlier in the thread where it seemed she was being criticized for being willing to accept a substitute, because this somehow meant she didn't really want the prize. I think she came up with the chicken idea while unsure whether they'd still have turkey.

I agree she has the right to let the church know and to get what she paid for which would be the turkey dinner. However, I do think it is somewhat significant that she didn't have any great attachment to what she paid for and that she was actually hoping to negotiate something a bit different herself. People keep referring to getting what she paid for - that is a turkey dinner. If the church is required to delover what she paid for it would be the turkey dinner. I don't know if that would thrill her because she wasn't excited to find out that what she paid for was literally what she was getting.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #239 on: November 30, 2012, 03:39:50 PM »
Honestly, I think a turkey dinner might bring in more than a $50 gc.  To me a $50 gc makes very little sense.  It is like auctioning off a $50 bill.  How high will people go ona $50 bill/gc?  Probably not much higher than $50.  But if you bid a dinner and all the sides, a Thanksgiving day free of all the work the dollar value of that is a bit more subjective - to some people that might be worth $75 or more.  So I guess as a gneral question it makes a lot of sense to me that a donor would choose a dinner over a gc.  I think it would have the potential to bring in more money.

Captain, I didn't read it wrong - before the deadline she wondered about substituting, when she called after it was with the assumption that there might not be turkey and she was going to tell them she would take chicken if that was the case.  I do believe that would have worked out the way she wished anyway but she was thinking there might not be turkey by friday.