Author Topic: The 'stolen' turkey dinner... UPD #331 p23  (Read 48055 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: The 'stolen' turkey dinner...
« Reply #255 on: November 30, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »
Is it possible the TL originally ordered and paid for the dinner for herself and her family (which would explain the receipt), then when asked for a donation by the church suddenly thought, "I'll donate the dinner!" without thinking through the ramifications of that action?

That's one of my guesses, yeah. Bought it for herself, realized she'd volunteered to donate something to the auction and forgotten to buy an item to donate, and the rest is history.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #256 on: November 30, 2012, 10:53:09 PM »
The Pastor needs to require this woman to pay your sister back - and publicly apologize to the entire congregation for her fraud. She should never be allowed to have any position that involves her handling money for the church ever again. If she refuses the church should denounce the woman and bar her from entering the church.

$ to doughnuts - she paid for the meal with church money, expecting the "winner" to over look the date and write it off so that she could get a free Thanksgiving meal.

I agree.  Turkey Lady is a thief, plain and simple. Her multiple calls to the shop shows how premeditated her actions/plans were.  She needs to be called publicly on her actions.

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #257 on: November 30, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
The reason I don't think the deli is responsible is that I don't think they ever knew it was an auction prize. All they knew was that Turkey Lady ordered a turkey dinner, behaved oddly by calling about it a lot, and then came to pick it up with the receipt she'd gotten when she initially paid. They probably had many orders like this during the run-up to the holiday. The deli had no idea they were supposed to reserve it for someone else and that Turkey Lady was being sneaky. If Turkey Lady had actually told them it was a prize, they'd have done their usual procedure of making it a gift card.

I agree; however, you're more generous than I am in simply calling TL "sneaky".  I prefer to call her what she is - a thief. 

floridamom

« Reply #258 on: December 01, 2012, 12:00:03 AM »
Boy do we need an update!!!  Where's the update??  :) :) GrammarNerd!! Where are you?  Calling for Grammarnerd for an update LOL  ;D ;D

rain

« Reply #259 on: December 01, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
ditto - on wanting an update
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

BarensMom

« Reply #260 on: December 01, 2012, 04:00:27 PM »
 I guess the polite thing is for us to give GrammarNerd until Monday to see if her sister had a chance to talk to someone at the church.

What a pity we can't all chant "update, update."

Iris

« Reply #261 on: December 01, 2012, 04:05:24 PM »
I guess the polite thing is for us to give GrammarNerd until Monday to see if her sister had a chance to talk to someone at the church.

Well, we can, but GrammarNerd won't hear us so I don't know if it will work  ;D

"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Nibsey

« Reply #262 on: December 01, 2012, 05:25:15 PM »

Well, we can, but GrammarNerd won't hear us so I don't know if it will work  ;D

She will if we all do it loud enough... ;D
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

gmatoy

« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2012, 09:48:41 PM »
Update! Update! Update! What do we want? Update! When do we want it? Now! (That was me chanting.)

PurpleFrog

« Reply #264 on: December 02, 2012, 02:12:17 PM »
I'm so glad to see this thread back, it was going to.niggle me forever wondering how it turned out out. GrammerNerd pleeese come back and tell us soon
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

floridamom

« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »
Update! Update! Update! What do we want? Update! When do we want it? Now! (That was me chanting.)

;D ;D ;D ;D

mindicherry

« Reply #266 on: December 03, 2012, 01:06:15 AM »
here is my take on it, being someone who has chaired many H&S (PTA, for some) fundraisers, and beause of my business, been in the position to donate quite a bit of product to causes.

Turkey Mom is just 15 kinds of wrong.

I don't care of she thought a dinner was going to go to waste.  I don't care if she set it up so she could get the donation.  I don't even care if she PAID for the dinner and was worried that it was going to waste.

When you solicit a donation (or donate your own money for an event/cause), it ceases to become "yours".  It's just like a gift that you can't dictate how it is used.  It is a GIFT.

About 18 months ago, I won a Karate party for 12 ($250 value) at a local studio as part of my $5/head Bingo Night at a school event.  It is likely that I will NEVER use that voucher. We had a fun family night for $25, I actually won 3 other rounds....just this prize, I probably won't be using

But if anyone else tried to "redeem" that offer because I had yet to do so?  I would be raising Cain!.  it's MY choice what to do with that prize.  If I want to give that karate studio the opportunity to declare a charitable donation that was never redeemed?  That is the winner's choice.  Not the donor's choice.

The church should be made aware of what Turkey Lady has done!

Nora

« Reply #267 on: December 03, 2012, 05:57:34 AM »
I want an update SO BADLY!  :-[
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

ettiquit

« Reply #268 on: December 03, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »
Just posting for updates.  I hope GrammarNerd can convince sis to get all Sherlock Holmes about this!

Eeep!

« Reply #269 on: December 03, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »
here is my take on it, being someone who has chaired many H&S (PTA, for some) fundraisers, and beause of my business, been in the position to donate quite a bit of product to causes.

Turkey Mom is just 15 kinds of wrong.

I don't care of she thought a dinner was going to go to waste.  I don't care if she set it up so she could get the donation.  I don't even care if she PAID for the dinner and was worried that it was going to waste.

When you solicit a donation (or donate your own money for an event/cause), it ceases to become "yours".  It's just like a gift that you can't dictate how it is used.  It is a GIFT.

About 18 months ago, I won a Karate party for 12 ($250 value) at a local studio as part of my $5/head Bingo Night at a school event.  It is likely that I will NEVER use that voucher. We had a fun family night for $25, I actually won 3 other rounds....just this prize, I probably won't be using

But if anyone else tried to "redeem" that offer because I had yet to do so?  I would be raising Cain!.  it's MY choice what to do with that prize.  If I want to give that karate studio the opportunity to declare a charitable donation that was never redeemed?  That is the winner's choice.  Not the donor's choice.

The church should be made aware of what Turkey Lady has done!

I agree with the above.
But mostly I'm just posting for updates. ;)
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss