Author Topic: The 'stolen' turkey dinner... UPD #331 p23  (Read 55676 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: The 'stolen' turkey dinner...
« Reply #285 on: December 06, 2012, 10:53:28 PM »
I can't think of a "best" thing I've won from a raffle before, but I won a misspelled t-shirt once...

I won a logo'ed work shirt from the company who donated it  ;D

Lynnv

« Reply #286 on: December 06, 2012, 11:05:33 PM »
Best: a $200 gift certificate to the local motorcycle shop that I regularly get my oil change supplies at tied with a pair of free tires for my bike.

Worst: An unfortunate pile of Starbucks gift cards (neither DH nor I like anything there-and we don't drink coffee, so we can't even just buy beans).  We end up giving them to my sister.  Starbucks tends to be a big donor for charity motorcycle events-so we see a fair number of them at poker runs and charity raffles.  Great of them to donate, of course.  But not something we like or appreciate.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #287 on: December 06, 2012, 11:09:01 PM »
I won a photo session with a local photographer who closed up shop and moved 2 weeks after the auction.

The best was a week at a mountain vacation house. 

Then another at our school's auction I won a weekend at a very large lake house during the live auction.  We and 2 other families had decided to bid on it to go together, though I was the one doing the bidding.  I couldn't believe the number of mom's/friends who assumed I was bidding on it for a girl's weekend and were putting their names on the list to go.  Several of them were really irritated I'd waste the weekend on a get away with husbands and kids.  (To be fair, mom's weekends were popular in our group and I had participated in several and hosted one.)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #288 on: December 06, 2012, 11:18:18 PM »
My (private) high school has a fundraising auction once a year. One year a group of parents got together and had a classic VW Beetle fixed up, painted in the red from the school colors, and re-upholstered in (red plaid) material from our school's uniform skirts. It was won by the parents of a girl in my class - we always knew her car when we saw it out somewhere. :-)

There was also an auction that the students would participate in. One year, I won a foam cooler full of cookies baked by one of the teachers - who wasn't thinking when she decorated the cooler. She spray painted it gold, but the cookies tasted funny, so she baked me new ones. :-) Another year I won a teddy bear made from uniform skirt material. I still have that, it lives in my office now. :)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

POF

« Reply #289 on: December 07, 2012, 07:13:38 AM »
Last year at church I donated a XMAS cooke tree  - decorated cookies, recipes that could be bound in a book, utensils and copper cookie cutters.  It sold for over $150.00   This year we did another tree ( I did not want to repeat ) and people were looking for the cookie tree. ( Guess I'll do that one again.

My friends 8 year old was being very mean to her and called her fat etc. So at the school fair she bought a very large number of raffle tickets, put them in his name and put them in the raffle for the barbie basket.  he won and had to go get it in the office and bring it back to his class.  His Mom asked hom he like being teased about Barbies.  he got the message.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #290 on: December 07, 2012, 07:54:24 AM »
The best and worst thing I ever won was first prize in a raffle at the local fair.  It was an item supposedly worth $1,000.

At the time I was still naive, so I called a friend to share the good news.  They said; "My birthday is coming up.".  Yes, they expected me to give it to them.  And so did every single person who found out about it.  Because the friend I called told all our mutual friends.  And the mutual friends called me up wanting the item.

Not one of them ever congratulated me or said 'yay' or anything.  This rankled because they all called me up when nice things happened to them and I would say 'yay or 'congratulations' or 'that's awesome.'  And I didn't ask for any of their stuff.  But the time something good happened to me, they immediately went into 'gimme' mode.  So, I just stopped talking to them.  Since it was everyone I knew, it was a long time before I had anyone to talk to.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:00:27 AM by zyrs »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #291 on: December 07, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »
I've won, at various fundraisers, my first ever Vera Bradley bag, a GC for a facial at a very nice day spa, a basket full of hair and face products from another local fancy schmancy spa, and a VERY expensive, but kind of ugly, purse.  It was a Bulga, and retailed for about $500, and supposedly was a fave of certain celebrities.  I liked the bag ok, but the color was bright, and it was HUGE. I ended up selling it for about $200 to a website that rents and sells designer bags.

it was this one, and the color was much the same, but brighter.  http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bagbliss.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Picture-2.png&imgrefurl=http://www.bagbliss.com/designer/balenciaga-purse/happy-st-patricks-day-green-designer-bags/&h=401&w=329&sz=98&tbnid=0O0_PeOfdGF5LM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=75&zoom=1&usg=___RN-6JmVUWzXcLNspx9mQnDyaHg=&docid=I34hm_zlbwOQAM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WOjBUOaEMYfG0AGcgIHQCg&ved=0CFMQ9QEwCA&dur=372

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #292 on: December 07, 2012, 08:58:36 AM »
I rarely ever win stuff, and when I do it's usually something I don't want.

Once I won a meat tray... I'm a vegetarian.  I ended up giving it to my family.

Another time I won a Valentine's Day dinner at an upscale restaurant...  I was single at the time.  I asked for the prize to be passed on to the next person drawn, and he apparently ended up proposing to his girlfriend that night (if I recall correctly it included a trip on the London Eye or something similar and he popped the question at the top).

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #293 on: December 07, 2012, 10:09:15 AM »
I think the best auction prize I ever won was a snippet out of the Baltimore phone book...

...and having it read out by a particular actor whose voice we (the fans) had long suspected would make even the phone book sound good.

(Which it did. Ooooh it did.)

I also ought to note that I'm one of those incredibly irritating people who tend to win something in every raffle they buy tickets for, so over the years I've won everything from a very large bottle of scotch (I was seven and under instructions!) to a trip to LA to a set of rubber duckies...

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #294 on: December 07, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »
I think the best auction prize I ever won was a snippet out of the Baltimore phone book...

...and having it read out by a particular actor whose voice we (the fans) had long suspected would make even the phone book sound good.

If my vote counts for anything, you win!  That is hilarious.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #295 on: December 07, 2012, 10:21:00 AM »

If my vote counts for anything, you win!  That is hilarious.

That is an awesome charity auction item.

HermioneGranger

« Reply #296 on: December 07, 2012, 10:50:52 AM »

I also ought to note that I'm one of those incredibly irritating people who tend to win something in every raffle they buy tickets for, so over the years I've won everything from a very large bottle of scotch (I was seven and under instructions!) to a trip to LA to a set of rubber duckies...

Just out of curiousity, who was it? 

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #297 on: December 07, 2012, 10:56:20 AM »
My DH won us a trip to Montreal to see Aerosmith. The show was cancelled, but we still got the trip; it was all kinds of fun. They put us up in a really nice hotel, we had some great meals, did some fun touristy stuff.

My biggest win was a very large cooler that I am sure any fisherman would love to have. Since we don't fish, it's in the garage collecting dust. I really ought to make someones day and donate to Goodwill.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #298 on: December 07, 2012, 11:09:02 AM »

Peter Wingfield who was, at the time at least, mostly known for playing Methos on Highlander.

agentsmith

« Reply #299 on: December 07, 2012, 11:39:06 AM »

Peter Wingfield who was, at the time at least, mostly known for playing Methos on Highlander.

I...I...I can't even begin to describe just how incredibly jealous I am!!!