Author Topic: The 'stolen' turkey dinner... UPD #331 p23  (Read 52390 times)

Otterpop

Re: The 'stolen' turkey dinner...
« Reply #330 on: December 21, 2012, 10:15:11 PM »
I've been waiting for an update too, but if it hasn't been update yet, it might never be (or the OP's sister just let the matter go - Boo  :()

GrammarNerd, was there a resolution?

GrammarNerd

Re: The 'stolen' turkey dinner...
« Reply #331 on: December 27, 2012, 10:35:43 PM »
I don't talk to sis a whole lot just to gab, and like I said, I couldn't really call her up b/c she doesn't really know I posted here. ;)

But.....I did see her yesterday for a belated Christmas celebration, so I got the scoop (what there is of it).

BIL talked to the minister and explained the situation and what happened, and he said "That's just not right."  So the big guy knows about it, who was involved and what happened.  AND he agrees that it was a shady thing to do.

However, they didn't want to really go ballistic about it, and sis said that the minister lost two of his office people recently, so they're hurting for workers.  When they're short on manpower, sis didn't really want to give them more work by harping on this.  However, she did say something about possibly following up and making sure that Turkey Lady didn't get a receipt or paperwork for the supposed donation for tax purposes, since those would be sent out around this time of the year.  I encouraged her to just give a quick call to the minister/office and remind them of this incident so Turkey Lady wouldn't get hers.

I did get some more information on a few things that were cloudy.  The info that sis got from the auction was a duplicate receipt from the deli that said something like "Deli items" in the amount of $50.  Turkey Lady presumably had the original receipt.  A turkey dinner was not specified on the receipt, but was on another note with the receipt, handwritten, that said that it was good for a turkey dinner and had the handwritten expiration date.  **There was NO expiration date from the deli itself.**  So the turkey lady did indeed 'issue' the so-called expiration date, and when she issued it, she sort of directed that the thing would be used for a turkey dinner.  I confirmed with Sis that presumably, she could have chosen anything from the deli, since a turkey dinner was not directly specified on the actual receipt.  Also, that's why Sis thought that it wouldn't be a huge problem to pick it up on Friday (no expiration date from the deli, only from the handwritten note).

Sis said that turkey lady kept calling on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, asking if the dinner had been picked up, and showed up Wednesday night to redeem it herself.  Sis called on Friday, and talked to the very confused deli manager, who said that they normally do gift cards for donations; then people can get what they want, when they want.  Sis had to go through the whole explanation of this fiasco b/c the deli manager just did not understand; he said that for donations, they just use a gift card.  That's how they came to the conclusion that Turkey Lady planned it like this; to 'donate' the item, but hedge her bet that it wouldn't be redeemed by her self-imposed 'expiration' date so she could redeem it herself.  If she'd just donated a gift card, she wouldn't be able to redeem it herself.

So while it doesn't appear that Sis or BIL are out to publicly hunt down Turkey Lady, they certainly don't want her to get away with this either.  She mentioned that they were probably going to just chalk it up to a church donation.  BUT, she mentioned talking with the auction coordinator before the next auction and making it clear what Turkey Lady did, so they hopefully won't accept any more 'donations' from her.

So it's probably not the update the people had hoped for, but at least they did do *something* in talking to the minister.  The Turkey Lady's name was on the handwritten note, so they know who it was by name, but Sis doesn't know the lady personally.  She's obviously not one of the pillars of the church community.

If I find out anything else, I'll let you all know.

bloo

Re: The 'stolen' turkey dinner... UPD #331 p23
« Reply #332 on: December 27, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »
Thanks for updating and let us know if you hear that this actually gets resolved WITH Turkey Lady! Please!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #333 on: December 27, 2012, 10:55:14 PM »
Thanks for the update.  Please let us know if anything else happens.  I really hate the idea that she got away with this.

Otterpop

« Reply #334 on: December 27, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »
Thank you for the update.  I hope turkey lady gets her comeuppance, even if we never hear about it.  That was a slimy thing to do.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #335 on: December 27, 2012, 11:12:53 PM »
I take it the church didn't offer to reimburse your sis for the amount she paid after winning the auction?  :-\

doodlemor

« Reply #336 on: December 28, 2012, 02:35:56 AM »
I wonder if the minister truly understands the situation,  because the scam is a bit unusual.  Turkey Lady must have done a lot of un-religious thinking to come up with it.  One has to really think about the whole thing carefully  to understand that she did this deliberately.

I bet this is not TL's first scam, nor will it be her last.  Sooner or later she is bound to be caught doing something shifty/illegal and be publicly embarrassed.

katycoo

« Reply #337 on: December 28, 2012, 03:22:58 AM »
I remain unconvinced that the whole thing was a conniving scam.  Its certainly possible that it was, but given that noone has even spoken to the turkey-lady to get her versiopn of events, I'm really not comfortable painting her in that image just yet.  Certainly actions involved were unscrupulous but there have been a number of theories thrown up which have not been disproven yet.

I do, however, remain interested if the full circumstances ever do come to light.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #338 on: December 28, 2012, 05:04:51 AM »
I wonder if the minister truly understands the situation,  because the scam is a bit unusual.  Turkey Lady must have done a lot of un-religious thinking to come up with it.  One has to really think about the whole thing carefully  to understand that she did this deliberately.

I bet this is not TL's first scam, nor will it be her last.  Sooner or later she is bound to be caught doing something shifty/illegal and be publicly embarrassed.

i agree but she already *was* caught. the question is what is the church going to do about it?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

eltf177

« Reply #339 on: December 28, 2012, 06:51:09 AM »

i agree but she already *was* caught. the question is what is the church going to do about it?

My question exactly! IMHO the church needs to make good on this and Turkey Lady needs a good "come to diety" talk.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #340 on: December 28, 2012, 08:17:06 AM »
I agree.  The OP's sister needs to be reimbursed and the TL needs a reproach and consequences.  The information in the update is convincing evidence that she did scam the food while taking credit for a donation. 

If I were in charge of the fundraiser I would approach the deli directly next time.

25wishes

« Reply #341 on: December 28, 2012, 09:37:21 AM »
She may have gotten away with it, but she is condemned to forever being known as "Turkey Lady" here on Ehell. >:D

Isisnin

« Reply #342 on: December 28, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »
Thanks much for the update GrammarNerd!

Hopefully, the church will figure out some rules to ensure this kind of thing doesn't' happen again. 

Secret

« Reply #343 on: December 28, 2012, 12:17:58 PM »
maybe your sister could just ask the church for a receipt for her 50.00 donation. She donated and never got what she had "paid for". This may force the church to do some more investigating and make sure turkey lady does not get her donation reciept.

doodlemor

« Reply #344 on: December 28, 2012, 12:54:01 PM »
maybe your sister could just ask the church for a receipt for her 50.00 donation. She donated and never got what she had "paid for". This may force the church to do some more investigating and make sure turkey lady does not get her donation reciept.

I like this.  Likely TL will be looking for a donation receipt for her taxes.

You people are right.  TL has been caught, and the church should do something about it.