Author Topic: Martial arts etiquette & kids  (Read 1550 times)

Jaelle

Re: Martial arts etiquette & kids
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 01:27:05 PM »
A wealth of information. Yet another reason I love eHell. :)  Thanks so much.

Slartibartfast, the major place where that offers small children's classes is the same with the "free uniform!" That's why I'm so cautious approaching them. :P I'm trying to find time to go visit and ask.

There's also a smaller local studio that offers a children's program. They're close to work; I will probably take a lunch hour and visit one day.

Thanks again.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

snowdragon

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 03:34:51 PM »
Talk to the other parents, see if they are allowed to stay - or to drop in at any time they wish. If not - don't go there.

Look into how the school treats women and girls, there are schools out there that teach kids that women and girls are "less" than men and do not have to be listened to - even mom and teachers.

Listen, carefully, how the students interact with each other and teachers and how the teachers talk to students - this will tell you a lot about the etiquette in the school. 

In my school kids and adult students do not have classes at the same and while adults do sometimes make "guest teacher" appearances kids do not have the right to correct adults. The reason being is that kids bodies and adult bodies are not the same and sometimes forms, moves and other things may be changed from what the kids learn to suit the adults. Also most adults in our school have been taught both the kid's and adult's versions so that they can become teachers....the kids don't have both versions, hence the restriction.

beware of a school that won't let a prospective client view group classes in all age groups,,,,doing so can be eye opening as what to expect as your kid progresses before you hit that level.  Private lessons are ok to say no to viewing.

Check to see what expressions of respect the students and teachers give each other, and the school.  This will vary depending on the culture of the school and if you are not comfortable with any of it - don't go there.

The first three are real deal breakers for me....and would send me running from any school that made me uncomfortable on any of them.

Jaelle

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 05:55:27 PM »
Look into how the school treats women and girls, there are schools out there that teach kids that women and girls are "less" than men and do not have to be listened to - even mom and teachers.

*snip*

The first three are real deal breakers for me....and would send me running from any school that made me uncomfortable on any of them.

>:(  Wow. Yeah, me too. Thanks for the thoughts.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

Adelaide

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 06:08:32 PM »

*snip*

One of my instructors trained in a school in Japan where women were absolutely not allowed. I think it's more rare to run across this in the states and Canada though.

snowdragon

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 07:11:23 PM »

*snip*

One of my instructors trained in a school in Japan where women were absolutely not allowed. I think it's more rare to run across this in the states and Canada though.

Elephant's child is in my area and I can tell you  that there is at least one chain of schools who do teach that.  They treat women and girls badly enough that they have interrupted demos and competitions because females were participating,, their students have caused no end of havoc too.