Author Topic: Salvation Army Stockings  (Read 877 times)

One Fish, Two Fish

Salvation Army Stockings
« on: November 26, 2012, 08:49:46 PM »
Instead of Secret Santa, our office has decided to put together stockings for needy children.  I chose to make a stocking for a 10-12 year old girl.  I want to have a mixture of practical things and fun things.  My family doesn't have a lot of extra money,so I'm going to stick with items from discount stores to get the most things for the least amount of money.   On the practical side, I want to give gloves, a hat, shampoo, soap, deodorant, tooth paste, and a tooth brush.  On the fun side, I'd like to give nail polish, lip gloss, a mild perfume, and a small puzzle book.  Here is my dilemma: I could give a pack of playing cards and pack of dice, and I could include typed instructions for playing different card games (go fish, crazy eights, slap jack, etc) and directions for playing yahtzee with the dice.  I'm just worried that this might seem tacky or condescending.  I'd like some other perspectives.  Any other donation ideas would be great, too. 
I'll get there.  Eventually.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Salvation Army Stockings
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »
I'd include the cards but not the dice.  Dice aren't as versatile as cards, IMO.

What about some hair doo dads, like the little clips to hold back flyaways?  Or some costume type jewellery?  I'd avoid earrings, just because a lot of us are allergic to cheap earrings.

And I like your idea in place of a gift exchange.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 08:56:01 PM »
I think that is an excellent idea.  Perhaps including some simple games that could be played with younger siblings would be good, and you could indicate suitable ages for the games. 

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:13:26 PM »
You may be able to find a small book with rules for several card games.

Edited to add: what about instructions and some embroidery floss for friendship bracelets?  I've also seen little looms for making different patterns for the bracelets.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 10:16:40 PM by Flydell North »

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 06:24:52 AM »
I would give cards without the instructions - but I would get better quality cards because the ones from the discount stores fall apart very quickly. or don't give cards.

I would also consider a book, if you could find something inexpensive, or something from the "arts and crafts" category.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Margo

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 07:46:57 AM »
I think this is a nice idea.

Other suggestions:

A book - depending on her circumstances she may not have much access to books or librarys, and books last. Do you have a discount book shop near you? (I know we have a discount shop in town where the books are usually remaindered stock, so the books are new but cheap - usually 1-2 for a paperback book, so quite affordable.

A small pack of origami paper and a book (or instructions printed from the internet) to make a few things (try for varying degrees of difficulty)

Maybe some candy of some kind? Perhaps candy cane or a bag of chocolate money, or something else which is small but seasonable, and preferably suitable for sharing in case she has siblings.

I like the idea of friendship bangles but would suggest that if you give anything 'crafty' that you give it complete - ie instructions and materials (rather than a book of  suggestions which then needs her to be able to get materials elsewhere) and that you go for something which is small and tidy to do, as you don't know what her home is like, and whether she has space to spread out, is allowed to do things which might get messy.

It sounds as though you don't have details of a specific child, so I would also aim with any crafts to have instructions which have pictures as well as or instead of words, as you don't know her reading ability or that of her family who might be helping her (of course, the same goes for buying a book to read, but I think if she isn't a confident reader then long / complicated instructions could put her off trying the crafts as well.

At 10-12 she will probably feel she is too old for colouring books but might like different coloured gel-pens

If you can afford it it, something which is 'themed' with whatever is the 'in' thing this year (possibly the latest twilight movie, if you can bear to)