Author Topic: Addressing cards  (Read 1210 times)

half_dollars

Addressing cards
« on: November 27, 2012, 01:19:41 AM »
My specific question is about addressing Christmas cards, but I believe it pertains to generic cards, too.  I'd like to get ideas on how others address their cards.

I have most of my communication with friends and family through electronic means - Facebook, email, texts.  I do send physical cards for family birthdays, and also at Christmas.

Most of the people who receive a Christmas card from us are those who we communicate with throughout the year.  But, I have a few people/couples/families/acquaintances that the only time we hear from each other is through the Christmas card.  No big deal.  Everyone who does receive a card has had some sort of relationship with us at one time or another.  I love seeing pics of 2nd cousin's kiddos, hearing about a previous neighbors' vacation, or whatever they add in their little note in their card.

However, I realized last year that my previous neighbors are getting older.  I lived next to them 14 years ago, in an area that I am not physically close to at all.  (They were in their mid-to-late 60's when we lived next door to each other.)  I debated how to address their envelope, because I was worried of causing pain by writing "Mr & Mrs" if one of them had passed away during the year.  I did a quick google-search, tried a search through the local newspaper's online obituaries, and didn't find anything, but I did receive their card the same day I was addressing mine, so it worked out.

Well, we're back at holiday card time again.  So, I was curious to read about how others deal with a situation like this.  (My extended family didn't know my (then) neighbors, so they wouldn't know to tell me if they saw the obituary.)  I'm sure there are other options I haven't though of.  And its entirely possible I'm missing something totally simple and obvious.  My mind hasn't been working the greatest lately, due to a high amount of stress and a huge lack of sleep.

CakeEater

Re: Addressing cards
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 02:22:31 AM »
I don't think it's a problem to address the card to both as usual. It's not your fault if you unintentionally cause a small amount of pain - I'm sure it wouldn't be held against you.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:05:12 AM »
Address it as you always have. Might one have passed? Sure anything is possible. But the surviving one won't think "wow what an insensative clod!" They'll think something like "oh. I should let Half Dollars know. Maude always like Half Dollars, she was a sweet neighbor..."

Death happens, its sad and all, but it is what it is and life goes on. So go on doing as you've done until informed otherwise.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:18 AM »
Mr. Thipu and I agree that, lacking information about a person passing, Holiday cards should be addressed in the usual way. 

Last year, we sent a card to a couple and learned from their card that one of them had died. 

Handling this is a simple thing.  You receive the sad information.  You send a little note of condolence.  You change the address on your card list and life goes on.   

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 01:04:08 AM »
Address it as you always have. Might one have passed? Sure anything is possible. But the surviving one won't think "wow what an insensative clod!" They'll think something like "oh. I should let Half Dollars know. Maude always like Half Dollars, she was a sweet neighbor..."

Death happens, its sad and all, but it is what it is and life goes on. So go on doing as you've done until informed otherwise.

Exactly. My father continued to receive mail, including Christmas cards, addressed to him and his wife, after she passed away. Our reaction? "Oh, I guess we haven't informed So-and-so yet." No biggie. There are little reminders everywhere anyway, and one incorrectly addressed Christmas card (for us) didn't really cause any additional pain.

msulinski

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
In situations like this, I tend to address the envelopes to the family, like this, "The Smith Family."