Author Topic: Quick Restaurant Question  (Read 2552 times)

SleepyKitty

• Quid plura?
Quick Restaurant Question
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »
My birthday is Wednesday, and a good friend of mine offered to take me out to dinner for it since I'm single now, and my family lives elsewhere, so otherwise I'd just be hanging out alone. We're both graduate students, so we don't have a ton of money, but neither of us are the typical starving grad student either - we're a happy medium, I'd say. I know he goes out to dinner halfway regularly. I asked him what he had in mind for dinner, and he said for me to choose to go "wherever I wanted". He's also the type of guy that, if I chose something more expensive than he had in mind, would probably not say anything.

I wanted to run the pricing by you guys before I suggested this restaurant to him - do the prices seem reasonable for this kind of outing? Entrees run between $15-$20, burgers/sandwiches are around $10, dinner salads around $8-$10, and appetizers around $7. We'd both probably have a cocktail or glass of wine as well, but those prices aren't listed on the website. I would definitely order towards the cheaper end of the menu, not the priciest thing on there.

The place looks awesome - really hip, using all locally-grown and organic products when possible, and the food looks amazing, with great Google reviews. But I'd like second opinions just to make sure I'm not choosing somewhere that seems too pricey to the rest of you. I'm not used to spending more than $10 altogether at a diner, so it's hard for me to tell if these are okay prices for a "real" dinner. Is this about what everyone would expect to spend on a dinner, or is it too much?

cheyne

Re: Quick Restaurant Question
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:39:53 AM »
I live in the boonies where prices are much cheaper than in a big city.  Those prices look completely in line with what I would think as a "nice" dinner. 

Sounds like an awesome place too.  I say you would be fine picking that restaurant.

NyaChan

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 09:41:20 AM »
I think that is actually a really good option to suggest since there is a range in prices to accommodate a smaller or larger budget.  I would then try to order from the price point that your host does.  If you say, "What looks good to you?" and he goes straight for the sandwich section when looking at the menu, I'd order from there as well. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:44 AM »
In my area, those are the prices for chain restaurants, so paying that for organic is definitely worth it.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:45:05 AM »
I think any place where your entree/main is under $20 is extremely reasonable for a celebration dinner.  With a shared app, two mid rang entrees, and a shared dessert, it would be less than $60 before drinks, tax, tip.  Considering fast food seems to be $15 for two meals these days, I think that is very reasonable. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:45:31 AM »
To me those prices are in line with chains like Applebees, TGIFridays, and OutBack - a step above a diner price wise but not fine dining costs, so I think you are in the clear; its a mid-line restaurant.  And it sounds really great for the price with a clear and hip focus (local, in season foods) and good reviews.

Have a fabulous birthday!

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
To me those prices are in line with chains like Applebees, TGIFridays, and OutBack - a step above a diner price wise but not fine dining costs, so I think you are in the clear; its a mid-line restaurant.  And it sounds really great for the price with a clear and hip focus (local, in season foods) and good reviews.

I agree, it sounds both reasonable and wonderful!  We have a place nearby that sounds similar,and it is my son's and my favorite place to eat.  (Middle eastern food,actually, but lots of organic/vegetarian options, and everything made fresh.)  Enjoy!
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:51:21 AM »
My birthday is Wednesday, and a good friend of mine offered to take me out to dinner for it since I'm single now, and my family lives elsewhere, so otherwise I'd just be hanging out alone. We're both graduate students, so we don't have a ton of money, but neither of us are the typical starving grad student either - we're a happy medium, I'd say. I know he goes out to dinner halfway regularly. I asked him what he had in mind for dinner, and he said for me to choose to go "wherever I wanted". He's also the type of guy that, if I chose something more expensive than he had in mind, would probably not say anything.

I wanted to run the pricing by you guys before I suggested this restaurant to him - do the prices seem reasonable for this kind of outing? Entrees run between $15-$20, burgers/sandwiches are around $10, dinner salads around $8-$10, and appetizers around $7. We'd both probably have a cocktail or glass of wine as well, but those prices aren't listed on the website. I would definitely order towards the cheaper end of the menu, not the priciest thing on there.

The place looks awesome - really hip, using all locally-grown and organic products when possible, and the food looks amazing, with great Google reviews. But I'd like second opinions just to make sure I'm not choosing somewhere that seems too pricey to the rest of you. I'm not used to spending more than $10 altogether at a diner, so it's hard for me to tell if these are okay prices for a "real" dinner. Is this about what everyone would expect to spend on a dinner, or is it too much?

Sounds fair to me.  These prices are what I'd expect to pay at Applebee's or some place similar.

Judah

• California, U.S.A
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:52:55 AM »

Same here, and to get those prices at a restaurant that uses locally grown, organic produce is fantastic.
Ask for what you want. Let's be clear on this one:
Subtle hints don't work.
Strong hints don't work.
Really obvious hints don't work.
Just say it!

-The Car Talk Guys

SleepyKitty

• Quid plura?
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 11:31:44 AM »
Thanks everyone! I think we'll head there tomorrow night then. I'm looking forward to trying it out.  :D

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »
Sounds like a good choice to me.

and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »
Sounds terrific and I hope you have a great birthday!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »
I concur with the PPs - sounds like what I routinely pay at a good quality mid-range restaurant. If that buys you organic, even - bonus!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture