General Etiquette > Life...in general

When you can't tip on a credit card

<< < (2/15) > >>

WillyNilly:
I very rarely carry cash.  And as such I don't often tip at Starbucks.  But what I do is every once in a while, I put like $10 in the tip jar.  At Starbucks they pool the tips and divide them up weekly (I was told this by 3 different Starbucks employees who each worked in different stores, across 2 counties) so I figure, the money is going to the people who helped me even if they aren't behind the counter the second I tip.

I also don't feel guilty when I don't tip as A) they are paid well and don't rely on tips like waitstaff and bartenders and B) I know I'm a good customer - I order quickly and clearly, I smile, I say "thank you" and just generally don't give them a hard time.

Friday:
If a store accepts Visa, MC, etc., for a purchase, they MUST accept it for tips.  Not doing so is a violation of their cardholder agreement.  Report them.

cattlekid:
The nail salon that DH (yes, I said DH LOL) frequents does not allow tips on credit cards either.  I think it is because the salon has to pay a percentage on each transaction to the credit card processor and that percentage would decrease the amount of tip they would be able to turn around and give the staff person. 

My bigger pet peeve is places that have artificially high minimums on the dollar amount you can put on a credit or debit card.  It is actually against the credit card processing rules to require a minimum charge, but I've seen it at all sorts of places.  For example, a local restaurant has lunch specials that are under the credit card minimum.  I'd love to go there more often, but I'm not going to order food I don't need just to meet your arbitrary rule. 

cattlekid:
Ooh....good to know.

--- Quote from: Friday on November 27, 2012, 09:57:24 AM ---If a store accepts Visa, MC, etc., for a purchase, they MUST accept it for tips.  Not doing so is a violation of their cardholder agreement.  Report them.

--- End quote ---

The Wild One, Forever:
If it bothers you and you really want to tip, I guess the obvious solution would be as suggested upthread, which would be to carry a few singles on you specifically for that purpose.  That's really bizarre that you can pay with a CC but not tip on it.  I've gotten back CC slips at places where I'd never think to tip, and yet there is a "tip" space on the slip.  I had almost begun to believe that was the default CC machine setting for most food places. 

I don't believe tipping is mandatory when those who serve you are being paid a "normal" wage, however. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version