Author Topic: When you can't tip on a credit card  (Read 6018 times)

laceandbits

Re: When you can't tip on a credit card
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 02:50:06 PM »
Whenever anything comes up on forums I am sooooo glad I live in the UK not the US.  Here the tipping is for good to excellent service, not expected or even considered compulsory as I find in the US and Canada (and even more so in Russia!).

If I am reading the OP correctly she is going into a coffee shops and buying a drink and ready made snack.  What was there to tip for.  Do you tip if you go into a bakers and buy a cake, or a book shop and buy a book?  The ready made snack is being sold with the mark-up in place and they shouldn't need a tip on top to make a living.  Now if you are sitting in there, and they are quick, pleasant and helpful, then yes, a tip may be in order for the person who has served you but surely not for a quick over-the-counter purchase.

Remember this when you are in the UK too.  We do not tip as automatically or generously here.  My Candian cousin was surprised when my Canadian sister and I stopped her leaving an inappropriately big tip after a pub lunch where the service had been slow and indifferent.  Fast food shops, pub food service and coffee shops would normally be no tip or just a little change, 10% is plenty generous enough for good service in a restaurant; any more needs exceptional service to justify it.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »
If I am reading the OP correctly she is going into a coffee shops and buying a drink and ready made snack.  What was there to tip for.  Do you tip if you go into a bakers and buy a cake, or a book shop and buy a book?  The ready made snack is being sold with the mark-up in place and they shouldn't need a tip on top to make a living.  Now if you are sitting in there, and they are quick, pleasant and helpful, then yes, a tip may be in order for the person who has served you but surely not for a quick over-the-counter purchase.

That's the thing--there are differences among purchases, in terms of how labor-intensive they are. There's a difference between a drip coffee and a half-soy half-caf skinny mocha with a shot of hazelnut (made that up, but you get the idea).

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
The drink can be pretty custom.  Also, if she is taking it for there she might have it brought to her, maybe they bus her table.  It certainly isn't the same as a meal but it can be a slippery slope. 

chigrrl1

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
Whenever anything comes up on forums I am sooooo glad I live in the UK not the US.  Here the tipping is for good to excellent service, not expected or even considered compulsory as I find in the US and Canada (and even more so in Russia!).

Remember this when you are in the UK too.  We do not tip as automatically or generously here.  My Candian cousin was surprised when my Canadian sister and I stopped her leaving an inappropriately big tip after a pub lunch where the service had been slow and indifferent.  Fast food shops, pub food service and coffee shops would normally be no tip or just a little change, 10% is plenty generous enough for good service in a restaurant; any more needs exceptional service to justify it.
  Well, sometimes I might order a smoothie or a breakfast burrito that requires a little extra from the employee.  I don't mind tipping at all, it's culturally ingrained and shows appreciation.  I did, however, learn all about UK tipping customs when I was a waitress and found out about the disparity when all these nice British folks would leave really offensive tips.  When traveling in the UK, I continued to tip well out of habit unless there was a service charge or other indicator that gratuity was included.  I'm a tipper.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2012, 03:38:15 PM »
Just out of curiosity, if you're in the UK or a place like that and do leave a tip (as a lot of Americans might do), what happens?  Is it just seen as a bonus and reacted to in a surprised way or is it seen as offensive or what?

What's the etiquette side of doing it there?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 03:41:44 PM »
Just out of curiosity, if you're in the UK or a place like that and do leave a tip (as a lot of Americans might do), what happens?  Is it just seen as a bonus and reacted to in a surprised way or is it seen as offensive or what?

From what I understand, it's more an extra special thing if they're really fantastic. So they'd probably be thrilled but surprised.

Kate

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2012, 06:09:13 PM »
My hair salon will not allow a tip on a credit card. I find this annoying as, like the OP I don't carry cash and since I have a points "cash back" credit card I use it for all my purchases and there is rarely any money in my account to use debit. So have to plan to get cash or transfer money to debit before going to salon. This salon is the only place I have ever encountered that does not have the tip option .
Never heard of tipping at a coffee shop ...to me "coffee shop"  equals "fast food".

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2012, 06:28:37 PM »
My hair salon will not allow a tip on a credit card. I find this annoying as, like the OP I don't carry cash and since I have a points "cash back" credit card I use it for all my purchases and there is rarely any money in my account to use debit. So have to plan to get cash or transfer money to debit before going to salon. This salon is the only place I have ever encountered that does not have the tip option .
Never heard of tipping at a coffee shop ...to me "coffee shop"  equals "fast food".

Kate, could your salon just add X mount to the total they charge?  I mean if they tell you the cost will be $35 could you have them run it through for $40 and give the extra $5 to your stylist?

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 06:42:14 PM »
Kate, could your salon just add X mount to the total they charge?  I mean if they tell you the cost will be $35 could you have them run it through for $40 and give the extra $5 to your stylist?

That's what I do when I get my nails done.  There doesn't seem to be a problem with it.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 07:05:15 PM »
If you don't allow me to tip on my credit card and I don't have any cash on me, you don't get a tip.  Simple as that.  So for a one off type place, it wouldn't even bother me that I didn't tip.

But if it was somewhere I was regularly going to patronize, I would make sure to carry at least enough cash for a tip.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Take2

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 11:10:08 PM »
WillyNilly, I can verify that it is indeed against Visa and MasterCard cardholder agreements to set a minimum charge. Or at least it was through 2010. I worked for a credit card company for more than a decade. Small shops can get away with doing this because they are unlikely to get caught, but they actually agree when signing on to accept credit cards that they will accept them for any amount. I once called a small shopkeeper on it. I pointed out that she was violating her cardholder agreement by having a minimum and that since I had no cash, she was either going to have to take back my sandwich and lose the sale or accept my card. She took the card.

As for the percentage paid to Visa/Mastercard, it is a small percent of the transaction. For a $10 tip, we are talking about somewhere around 25 cents! I would think most waitstaff would cheerfully eat the quarter themselves to get the $9.75 in tip?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2012, 01:14:42 AM »

From what I understand, it's more an extra special thing if they're really fantastic. So they'd probably be thrilled but surprised.

Yup. Not offensive at all, just an added bonus.

Once, in London, I had a waiter come up and thank me explicitly for the tip because it was much higher than he had expected (I'd mixed up UK and US tipping 'rules' - in Denmark we tip even less, but then minimum wage is significantly higher) - he was delighted.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Milash

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 03:12:43 AM »

Yup. Not offensive at all, just an added bonus.

Once, in London, I had a waiter come up and thank me explicitly for the tip because it was much higher than he had expected (I'd mixed up UK and US tipping 'rules' - in Denmark we tip even less, but then minimum wage is significantly higher) - he was delighted.

Where I work if we receive a tip we have to politely decline or put the money in the work sponsored charity jar.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 03:29:20 AM »
They don't do tips on credit cards and they're not likely to change that, even if customers write in to complain.  If you want to do something, make a point of trying to remember to carry a $20 sometime and put that in the jar.  Yes, tipping $20 on one $5 coffee is ridiculous, but if you think of it as tipping $20 on a year's worth of $5 coffees it's perfectly reasonable.

If you don't want to ever carry cash even for a one-off occasion like this with as much lead time as you need, then don't tip.  Not sure what else to say.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 09:08:25 AM »
One other option - can you ask to be charged for one extra item but have that item voided and the cash handed to you?  Then put that cash in the tip jar?  Don't do it every time - but "once in a while", since you don't want to have cash on you in that neighborhood.

I personally had a bad experience with the "minimal cash makes me less of a target" mindset.  The only part that mattered was that I ended up having to pay for a replacement title so we could take it to the credit union to finance a used minivan that we were buying because the guy hadn't "found" his copy and had less than $2 cash on him - and the county didn't take credit cards back in 1997.

It was only part of a "perfect storm" of a guy who had no cash, no title, a missing seat in the vehicle, no gas cap on the vehicle's tank, and then didn't file a request with his county to waive the emissions test because he no longer owned the vehicle (and it took us six months to get the title we'd paid for because he couldn't be bothered to file that, even by mail).  He was a former used car salesman...he should have known how to file the paperwork...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?