General Etiquette > Etiquette of the Rich and Famous

Justin Bieber's Overalls

<< < (2/12) > >>

Lorelei_Evil:
I can't take the child seriously enough to be too upset, but I do agree with you.

I think he did it deliberately to get attention, actually.

StuffedGrapeLeaves:

--- Quote from: guihong on November 27, 2012, 10:16:07 AM ---I'm thinking he was actually in an arena, maybe rehearsing or otherwise occupied, and the PM just happened by.  The comments say that the flags were props.  So it was a big surprise to him.  He even looks surprised in the picture.  I know the President could show up at my house and surprise me in my Betty Boop pajama pants.  If a camera goes off, oh well.

If this was a formal occasion in Ottawa, then yes, very inappropriate.

(I say that as a non-fan).

--- End quote ---

I'm not a fan of Justin Bieber, but he said that the PM came to the hockey arena where he was performing, and he went straight from the meet-and-greet to see the PM.  So it doesn't sound like he wore it deliberately to meet with the PM at an official place.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/justin-bieber-why-i-wore-overalls-to-meet-canadian-prime-minister-stephen-harper-20122611

CaptainObvious:

--- Quote from: StuffedGrapeLeaves on November 27, 2012, 10:24:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: guihong on November 27, 2012, 10:16:07 AM ---I'm thinking he was actually in an arena, maybe rehearsing or otherwise occupied, and the PM just happened by.  The comments say that the flags were props.  So it was a big surprise to him.  He even looks surprised in the picture.  I know the President could show up at my house and surprise me in my Betty Boop pajama pants.  If a camera goes off, oh well.

If this was a formal occasion in Ottawa, then yes, very inappropriate.

(I say that as a non-fan).

--- End quote ---

I'm not a fan of Justin Bieber, but he said that the PM came to the hockey arena where he was performing, and he went straight from the meet-and-greet to see the PM.  So it doesn't sound like he wore it deliberately to meet with the PM at an official place.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/justin-bieber-why-i-wore-overalls-to-meet-canadian-prime-minister-stephen-harper-20122611

--- End quote ---

That outfit died in the 90's and should have never been resurrected ;)

WillyNilly:

--- Quote ---"The pic of me and the Prime Minister was taken in a room in the arena where i was performing at that day. I walked straight from my meet and greet to him..."
--- End quote ---

This is what makes it ok to me.  This wasn't an official meeting where Bieber went to the PM's office, this was the PM doing a drop in at Bieber's work place.

We see pictures of the US president meeting American worker's wearing hardhats, or casual fatigues, or regular street clothes all the time - because the President is going to them at their work place and greeting them.  When people go to the White House people should dress appropriately, but when they are just at their own job they need to dress appropriately for their job.

If anyone is dressed in appropriately I'd say its the PM - a suit is not the proper attire for a pop star's concert; jeans and t-shirt would have been more appropriate on the part of the PM.

Sharnita:
Yeah, I think since the PM was coming to his workplace it was OK.  He could have taken the hat off, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version