Author Topic: Justin Bieber's Overalls  (Read 9601 times)

MamaMootz

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm O.K....
Justin Bieber's Overalls
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:57:03 AM »
I know, this isn't a hot topic but I just caught this picture today and I'm shocked that he would dress this way to meet a government official - a prime minister, no less.

My 10 year old would know better than this. What was he thinking? I don't condone anyone calling him "white trash" but for the love of all things holy, dress properly for this occasion.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1697881/justin-bieber-overalls-canadian-prime-minister.jhtml
"I like pie" - DD's Patented Bean Dip Maneuver

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Justin Bieber's Overalls
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »
I'm thinking he was actually in an arena, maybe rehearsing or otherwise occupied, and the PM just happened by.  The comments say that the flags were props.  So it was a big surprise to him.  He even looks surprised in the picture.  I know the President could show up at my house and surprise me in my Betty Boop pajama pants.  If a camera goes off, oh well.

If this was a formal occasion in Ottawa, then yes, very inappropriate.

(I say that as a non-fan).

HermioneGranger

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 10:16:25 AM »
It's about as appropriate as flip flops in the White House, which a women's sports team thought it okay to wear to meet (then) President Bush a few years back.  I think it's tacky, and extremely disrespectful.  You're meeting the leader of your country, for deity's sake.  Wear something appropriate. 

CaptainObvious

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »
I know, this isn't a hot topic but I just caught this picture today and I'm shocked that he would dress this way to meet a government official - a prime minister, no less.

My 10 year old would know better than this. What was he thinking? I don't condone anyone calling him "white trash" but for the love of all things holy, dress properly for this occasion.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1697881/justin-bieber-overalls-canadian-prime-minister.jhtml

I really thought that more people would be upset about this. This is worse than the flip flop incident in my opinion.

diesel_darlin

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:19:09 AM »
At least he wasn't in that getup he had on the night of the AMA's.

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 10:19:50 AM »
I can't take the child seriously enough to be too upset, but I do agree with you.

I think he did it deliberately to get attention, actually.

StuffedGrapeLeaves

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 10:24:21 AM »
I'm thinking he was actually in an arena, maybe rehearsing or otherwise occupied, and the PM just happened by.  The comments say that the flags were props.  So it was a big surprise to him.  He even looks surprised in the picture.  I know the President could show up at my house and surprise me in my Betty Boop pajama pants.  If a camera goes off, oh well.

I'm not a fan of Justin Bieber, but he said that the PM came to the hockey arena where he was performing, and he went straight from the meet-and-greet to see the PM.  So it doesn't sound like he wore it deliberately to meet with the PM at an official place.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/justin-bieber-why-i-wore-overalls-to-meet-canadian-prime-minister-stephen-harper-20122611

CaptainObvious

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:42 AM »

I'm not a fan of Justin Bieber, but he said that the PM came to the hockey arena where he was performing, and he went straight from the meet-and-greet to see the PM.  So it doesn't sound like he wore it deliberately to meet with the PM at an official place.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/justin-bieber-why-i-wore-overalls-to-meet-canadian-prime-minister-stephen-harper-20122611

That outfit died in the 90's and should have never been resurrected ;)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »
"The pic of me and the Prime Minister was taken in a room in the arena where i was performing at that day. I walked straight from my meet and greet to him..."

This is what makes it ok to me.  This wasn't an official meeting where Bieber went to the PM's office, this was the PM doing a drop in at Bieber's work place.

We see pictures of the US president meeting American worker's wearing hardhats, or casual fatigues, or regular street clothes all the time - because the President is going to them at their work place and greeting them.  When people go to the White House people should dress appropriately, but when they are just at their own job they need to dress appropriately for their job.

If anyone is dressed in appropriately I'd say its the PM - a suit is not the proper attire for a pop star's concert; jeans and t-shirt would have been more appropriate on the part of the PM.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 10:40:51 AM »
Yeah, I think since the PM was coming to his workplace it was OK.  He could have taken the hat off, though.

blahblahblah

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 11:12:49 AM »
So it was a big surprise to him.  He even looks surprised in the picture. 
It wasn't. He was receiving the Diamond Jubilee medal. He knew the PM was coming.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 11:17:15 AM »

That outfit died in the 90's and should have never been resurrected ;)

That's what I was going to say! LOL!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 11:21:20 AM »
It wasn't. He was receiving the Diamond Jubilee medal. He knew the PM was coming.

Disaster victims in the hospital know when they are getting visited by officials too - should we jump on them for not getting out of bed and dressed up too?

I'm no Bieber fan but he was at work, and dressed appropriately for his workplace.  If the PM wanted something formal, the PM should have arranged for something formal in a local that alluded to formality.  That's not what happened.  What happened is the PM went to visit a pop star in the arena the pop star was performing pop music, and as such the pop star was dressed in his performance attire.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 11:22:47 AM »

Disaster victims in the hospital know when they are getting visited by officials too - should we jump on them for not getting out of bed and dressed up too?

I'm no Bieber fan but he was at work, and dressed appropriately for his workplace.  If the PM wanted something formal, the PM should have arranged for something formal in a local that alluded to formality.  That's not what happened.  What happened is the PM went to visit a pop star in the arena the pop star was performing pop music, and as such the pop star was dressed in his performance attire.

I'm going to agree here. The prime minister dropped in backstage at a pop concert and Bieber was still in costume. No real story here IMO.

blahblahblah

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »
Uh, okay? ::) I was just clarifying the situation because what the other poster was saying was wrong. I really don't care about this particular situation (although I think your analogy is lacking)...except to say that Justin has some terrible fashion sense in general IMO. But that's hardly an etiquette gaffe, ofc. Justin's said and done a lot of stupid stuff but this doesn't even register.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 11:30:24 AM by blahblahblah »